Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Janet's 2016 Old and New Classic Challenge

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janet (last edited Nov 23, 2016 06:17PM) (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Old School
1. The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan ****
2. Heidi by Johanna Spyri 1/10/16 ***
3. Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy 8/11/16 *****

New School
4. A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh9/16/16 ***
5. Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton 3/15/16 *****
6. Delta Wedding by Eudora Welty 9/13/16 ****

My Wild Card Six
7. Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis 61416 ****
8. The Wapshot Chronicle by John Cheever5/18/16 ***
9. The Assistant by Bernard Malamud1/7/16 ****
10. Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow 11/23/16 ****
11. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera 9/3/16 ****
12. What Makes Sammy Run? by Budd Schulberg 9/27/16 ****

Alternates
A-1. Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller 11/3/16 **
A-2. Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth 9/30/16 **

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Nice list. Happy Reading.

message 3: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum I must say that I have read only number 11 from your list! But Heidi is on my list as well :)

message 4: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
I can do one better than Desertorun I haven't read any, been thinking about several, just never picked them up. So I will be interested in anything you have to say about them. I am thinking about Heidi for the Bingo Children's Square.

message 5: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1578 comments I could make this my list too minus number 11 since that's all I've read. I will be interested to see what you think. I hope you enjoy your challenge.

message 6: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments These are all new authors for me so it will be an interesting year.

message 7: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4561 comments Mod
I have only read three of yours. You are sure to find at least one author that you will love...I am always so happy when I discover someone new who speaks to me.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I discovered a love of Hemingway this year and I definitely didn't expect that! I agree that you'll find some really wonderful stuff. :)

message 9: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sarah wrote: "I discovered a love of Hemingway this year and I definitely didn't expect that! I agree that you'll find some really wonderful stuff. :)"

I also love Hemingway. This year I discovered that I adore the writing of Edith Wharton.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I hate The House of Mirth and avoided her for years. I just read The Age of Innocence and absolutely loved it. It was wonderful. Now I'm reading Ethan Frome for next year's Women's Challenge. I'm not sure how I feel about her with such wildly different reactions to those two novels.

message 11: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sarah wrote: "I hate The House of Mirth and avoided her for years. I just read The Age of Innocence and absolutely loved it. It was wonderful. Now I'm reading Ethan Frome for next year's Women's Challenge. I'm n..."

I read Ethan Frome when I was very young and thought it was mediocre. Did the Age of Innocence, House of Mirth, and Custom of the Country this year. Loved all three. I will give Ethan another chance sometime this year.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I thought House of Mirth was the most depressing novel I've ever read in my life :)

message 13: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
Janet I didn't see either Hemingway or Wharton on your list, perhaps you have already made changes. For the sake of the discussion I will say that Ethan Frome was my first book by Wharton, have been hooked ever since. As for Hemingway I'm not a big fan.

message 14: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Bob wrote: "Janet I didn't see either Hemingway or Wharton on your list, perhaps you have already made changes. For the sake of the discussion I will say that Ethan Frome was my first book by Wharton, have bee..."

I did not put Hemingway or Wharton on my list since I was using only authors I have not read before for this challenge. I much prefer Wharton to Hemingway. House of Mirth, Age of Innocence, Ethan Frome and Xingu all 5 star reads for me. I am planning to read Farewell to Arms this year and then I think I will let Hemingway go.

message 15: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Sara wrote: "I read Ethan Frome when I was very young and thought it was mediocre. Did the Age of Innocence, House of Mirth, and Custom of the Country this year. Loved all three. I will give Ethan another chance sometime this year. "

Had to add Custom of the Country to my TBR list after your comment here. Like others, I was not planning to add any new books but this sounded good enough to break my resolution.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I read T. Hardy for the first time this year and really enjoyed the two books I read this year.

Next year I hope to read something else he's written.

message 17: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I read T. Hardy for the first time this year and really enjoyed the two books I read this year.

Next year I hope to read something else he's written."

Glad to hear it Andrea. I have several of Hardy's books on my TBR list.

message 18: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments I completed the first book from my list today The Assistant. It was a good study of a troubled young man's quest for redemption and goodness.

message 19: by Cosmic (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 123 comments Congratulations!

Two of my favorite are on your list, Jude the Obscure
And Babbitt. When you read them let me know what you think of them! Would love to discuss them.

message 20: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Completed Heidi today. I would likely have enjoyed it more if I had read it at a younger age or if I had read it to a child. I gave it 3 stars but if I had read it when I was young I might have been able to give it an extra star for nostalgia.

message 21: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments I have completed all the Old School and New School books on my list. Cry, the Beloved Country is definitely my favorite so far.

message 22: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Congrats on finishing both Old school and New school, although it looks like you're making great progress with your wild card choices as well!

message 23: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3579 comments Congratulations on finishing a nice list! Delta Wedding is one I'm going to have to try.

message 24: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments I have completed 12 books now so I guess officially I have completed this challenge but I am going to try to complete the other two.

message 25: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
Congratulations Janet!

message 26: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Completed all 14 books. Ready to start next year's challenges.

message 27: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Congratulations! I finished today too with 13/14 and 1 I will carry over to next year...

message 28: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Susie wrote: "Congratulations! I finished today too with 13/14 and 1 I will carry over to next year..."

Thank you. Congratulations to you as well.

message 29: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Well done!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Congrats Janet!

message 31: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Janet wrote: "Completed all 14 books. Ready to start next year's challenges."

You go!