Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Classic Bingo Challenge > Julie's Bingo Challenge Progress

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Nov 23, 2015 11:21AM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Julie's Progress

I'm in :-)
B1: Written by Nobel Laureate
B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic
B3: Classic of Africa
B4: Children's Classic
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize

I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s
I2: New-to-You Author
I3: Classic Play
I4: Banned Book
I5: Published in the 1700's

N1: Classic of the Americas
N2: Short Story Collection
N3: FREE SPACE
N4: Poetry Collection
N5: Classic of Europe

G1: Published in the 1600's
G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century
G3: Classic Non-fiction
G4: Classic from School
G5: Published in the 1800's

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region
O2: Gothic Classic
O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania
O4: Mystery or Crime Classic
O5: Prize-Winning Female Author

message 2: by Julie (last edited Nov 18, 2016 06:56AM) (new)

Julie | 644 comments Bingo Challenge 2016

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate A Part of Speech by Joseph Brodsky Read January 2016
B2: Sci-fi or Fantasy Classic The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury Read March 2016
B3: Classic of Africa A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul Read November 2016
B4: Children's Classic Heidi by Johanna Spyri Read January 2016
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize Sommerlys og så kommer natten by Jón Kalman Stefánsson Icelandic Literary Prize for Fiction (2005) Read January 2016

I1: Published/Written Before 1600’s The Merry Wives of Windsor by William Shakespeare (1597) Read April 2016
I2: New-to-You Author A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith Read March 2016
I3: Classic Play Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw Read July 2016
I4: Banned Book The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov Read June 2016
I5: Published in the 1700's The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe (1794) Read June 2016

N1: Classic of the Americas O Pioneers! by Willa Cather Read February 2016
N2: Short Story Collection The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter Read March 2016
N3: FREE SPACE
N4: Poetry Collection Death of a Naturalist by Seamus Heaney Read January 2016
N5: Classic of Europe The Stranger by Albert Camus Read February 2016

G1: Published in the 1600's The Tempest by William Shakespeare Read September 2016
G2: Book from Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century Hvis dette er et menneske by Primo Levi Read January 2016
G3: Classic Non-fiction Anne Frank: The Diary Of A Young Girl by Anne Frank Read February 2016
G4: Classic from School The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne Read January 2016
G5: Published in the 1800's Idioten by Fyodor Dostoyevsky Read April 2016

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region Den lukkede bog by Jette A. Kaarsbøl De Gyldne Laurbær (2003, 'The Golden Laurels' awarded by Association of Danish Bookshops) Read January 2016
O2: Gothic Classic We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson Read January 2016
O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania Nectar in a Sieve by Kamala Markandaya Read October 2016
O4: Mystery or Crime Classic Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers Read January 2016
O5: Prize-Winning Female Author We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver Read July 2016

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Julie wrote: "Thanks Kathy :-)"

You'll need to copy and paste the list again so that you can edit it as you go. Have fun!!

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments My Bingo Challenge is off to a great start :-)

Since the beginning of the year I've read both Death of a Naturalist (N4), Heidi (G4) and We Have Always Lived in the Castle (O2).

My favourite was by far We Have Always Lived in the Castle, a really great read, I highly recommend it.

message 5: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Well done, i liked We have always lived in the castle too.

message 6: by Sylwia (new)

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments I've been wanting to read that last one for some time. Nice to know I'm in for something good.

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments I've updated my list of books read - I've really made a good start to this challenge as January has been a very good reading month. Since I started evening classes this week I'm pretty sure I won't be able to keep up the momentum.

My favourite read is still We Have Always lived in the Castle, though I also really enjoyed The Scarlet Letter

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Yes, you have been reading right along here. Good luck with your evening classes! And hope that you still have some reading time in your schedule.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Best of luck with your classes!

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments Updated - still some to go but finished my first row:

I4: Banned Book The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov Read June 2016
N4: Poetry Collection Death of a Naturalist by Seamus Heaney Read January 2016
G4: Classic from School The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne Read January 2016
O4: Mystery or Crime Classic Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers Read January 2016

message 11: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Julie wrote: "Updated - still some to go but finished my first row:

I4: Banned Book The Master and Margarita b..."

Congratulations, Julie!!!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Great Julie!

You've read some great titles for you first row of bingo!

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3935 comments I read Whose Body? recently too and thought it was fun. What great progress you're making through this challenge--yay Julie!

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments Just three books to go for the full plate - namely:

B3: Classic of Africa
G1: Published in the 1600's
O3: Classic of Asia or Oceania

B3 and O3 corresponds well with two of my to-read books from my women's century challenge, and then I think I'll do a Shakespeare play for G1 :-)

message 15: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Wow, Julie what a great list of books and you are moving right along with the challenge.

message 16: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Looks like you have a good plan for your last few books, I hope you enjoy them :)

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments And I'm all done! My last read ended up being A Bend in the River for the B3 square. I really enjoyed this and the other reads this year - I love that challenges like this helps me broaden my reading

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Great job Julie!

message 19: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Congrats on finishing! I'm glad you enjoyed the challenge and that it broadened your reading, well done!

message 20: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Well done, Julie. You have an interesting list and it's great that you enjoyed them.

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris | 235 comments Congrats Julie. Just completed it last night myself and am catching up on everyone's progress now.