What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Split Second (Split Second #1)
This topic is about Split Second
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA about two teens who think they're joining a rebellion group but turns out to be terrorism [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aoife (last edited Dec 03, 2015 12:23PM) (new)

Aoife Lannon | 2 comments (I realise that intro doesn't sound great)
I read this book a year or two ago, but it was from the library so who knows how old it was. I remember the plot fairly well, but none of the key details like names!

The book opens with a market and a girl wants to get a tattoo and her mom disagrees and then a bomb goes off. The girl's mom is killed and she moves in with her aunt, uncle and cousin. At her new school she makes friends with a girl who makes clothes and her brother, (Nick I think?). Nick is investigating the terrorist group that planted the bomb (or maybe it was the freedom group trying to stop the terrorists) because he thinks his older brother is a member. His brother's in a coma now because he was at the market when the bomb went off. While the girl was arguing with her mom, Nick was trying to find his brother and stop him. Anyway, Nick and the girl end up joining a freedom fighting group and start going to recruitments and stuff, because Nick's brother was a part of this group. They learn how to shoot guns and survive tough conditions and stuff. They've a recruitment base somewhere far away. This group is led by a kind politician who's trying to clean up the streets and stuff.
Meanwhile at school, there's a party on and Nick and the girl go to it because they've been ordered by the freedom fighting group to convince the mayor's son of something. While they're at the party she kidnaps the mayor's son while Nick investigates something in the sewers. Nick finds a bomb and it's revealed to him that the freedom fighting group they joined WAS the terrorist group they were fighting and the politician is leading both. Nick's brother was the one who planted the bomb in the market. Nick is accused of blowing up the parliament. The girl lets the mayor's son go and both she and Nick are on the run at the end of the book.

Some more details:
Nick investigates the terrorist group using its website, he sets up an account, and then goes to one of their meetings where they are all super racist.
It's hinted at the end of the book that the girl's dad is still alive somewhere, so I guess it's a series.

message 2: by Valerie (new) - added it

Valerie (valeriekemp) | 273 comments My first thought was Split Second but the character names don't match. What country does this book take place in?

message 3: by Kris (new) - added it

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
Split Second - Part 1 came up in my searches as well. This GR review provides a lot of detail - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 4: by Aoife (new)

Aoife Lannon | 2 comments Yes it was Split Second, thank you! Sorry about the names, I'm generally not good with them anyway (Nick/Nat - at least they start with the same letter I suppose) Thank you!