What An Animal Reading Challenge discussion

2016 - Level 4 > Casey's 2016 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments Thanks for hosting - love this challenge! I torched my 2015 goal (Level 2), so am looking forward to going for Level 4!

message 2: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "Thanks for hosting - love this challenge! I torched my 2015 goal (Level 2), so am looking forward to going for Level 4!"

Alright, Casey! I was also at Level 2 for this year, but didn't do nearly as well as you. So now I'm still trying to decide my level for 2016.

message 3: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments Thanks! Most of the cozies I read are about animals, so it's an easy overlap. I also have a thing for kid's books soo.... *grin*

message 4: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "Thanks! Most of the cozies I read are about animals, so it's an easy overlap. I also have a thing for kid's books soo.... *grin*"

Speaking of kid's books, one of my two or three favorite books as a youngster was Brighty of the Grand Canyon about a little burro. I found it a few years ago in the used bin at the library and bought it for a neighbor's little girl. Naturally I had to reread it before I gave it to her, lol.

message 5: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments Dagny wrote: "Casey wrote: "Thanks! Most of the cozies I read are about animals, so it's an easy overlap. I also have a thing for kid's books soo.... *grin*"

Speaking of kid's books, one of my two or three favo..."

That has been on my TBR list for a couple of years!!!

message 6: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (yvonne473) | 184 comments Mod
Glad you are back! Good luck with the challenge!

message 7: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments Yvonne wrote: "Glad you are back! Good luck with the challenge!"

Thanks!!

message 8: by Casey (last edited Jan 03, 2016 10:56AM) (new)

Casey | 43 comments Level 4 - 21+ books
a. there is an animal in the title of the book

b. there is an animal on the cover of the book

c. an animal plays a major role in the book

d. a main character is (or turns into) an animal (define that however you'd like).

#1 A Killer Retreat (A Downward Dog Mystery, #2) by Tracy Weber

message 9: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments #2 Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
This is honestly one of the strangest books I've ever read.

message 10: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "#2 Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
This is honestly one of the strangest books I've ever read."

It sounds strange!

message 11: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments #3 A Biscuit, a Casket (Pawsitively Organic Mystery #2) by Liz Mugavero

message 12: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments #4 Marked Fur Murder (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #3) by Dixie Lyle
Love Whisky, Tango, and Foxtrot!!!

message 13: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments #5. Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #4) by Bailey Cates

message 14: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "#5. Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #4) by Bailey Cates"

Yet another title to tempt my appetite!

message 15: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments Dagny wrote: "Casey wrote: "#5. Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #4) by Bailey Cates"

Yet another title to tempt my appetite!"

Haha, I actually had to put this down one night because it was making me hungry! Love the series though!

message 16: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments #6. Magic and Macaroons (Magical Bakery Mystery, #5) by Bailey Cates

message 17: by Casey (last edited Apr 06, 2016 06:47AM) (new)

Casey | 43 comments Secondhand Spirits (A Witchcraft Mystery, #1) by Juliet Blackwell #7 Secondhand Spirits

This one took me a while to get into...it's very "preachy" in the beginning, and the characters aren't very likeable. Oscar the familiar was easily the most interesting part - reminded me of Dobby from Harry Potter.

message 18: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments #8 Down the Rabbit Hole Curious Adventures and Cautionary Tales of a Former Playboy Bunny by Holly Madison
Reaching a bit here, but it does have an animal in the title...

#9 Bless Her Dead Little Heart (Southern Ladies, #1) by Miranda James

message 19: by Dagny (last edited Apr 30, 2016 04:29AM) (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "#8 Down the Rabbit Hole Curious Adventures and Cautionary Tales of a Former Playboy Bunny by Holly Madison
Reaching a bit here, but it does have an animal in the title...
."

I usually have to do a bit of that too! Thank goodness the guidelines are broad.

message 20: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments #10 Snow Blood Season 1 Episodes 1 - 6 by Carol McKibben

This was so different from anything I've ever read, and highly entertaining.

message 21: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments #11 Travels with Charley In Search of America by John Steinbeck

I've wanted to read this for years. Finally made time for it - it did not disappoint!!

message 22: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "#11 Travels with Charley In Search of America by John Steinbeck

I've wanted to read this for years. Finally made time for it - it did not disappoint!!"

Serendipity! I have this one lined up for June.

message 23: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments Dagny wrote: "Casey wrote: "#11 Travels with Charley In Search of America by John Steinbeck

I've wanted to read this for years. Finally made time for it - it did not disappoint!!"

Serendipity! I have this one ..."

Oh, can't wait to see what you think!

message 24: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments #12 Gone With the Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #6) by Heather Blake

Love love love this series!

message 25: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments These two had nothing to do with animals, but I'm throwing them in for their covers.

#13 Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris My first of his books, and I really enjoyed it

#14 The Weekenders by Mary Kay Andrews My first of hers also - for the most part I liked this a lot, though at times it felt like there was a different author writing parts of it

And then this one actually was about animals...
#15 Snow Blood Season 2 (A Vampire Mystery Thriller) by Carol McKibben

message 26: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "These two had nothing to do with animals, but I'm throwing them in for their covers.

#13 Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris My first of his books, and I really enjoyed it "

No wonder, you included it, such a cute cover. Legitimate too according to Yvonne. The one I'm reading now is Island of the Sheep, but the sheep are barely mentioned. There is though an adorable falcon named Morag.

message 27: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments Dagny wrote: "Casey wrote: "These two had nothing to do with animals, but I'm throwing them in for their covers.

#13 Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris My first of his books, and I really en..."

I'm intrigued! I noticed it's number 5 - do you need to read them in order, or does it work as a stand-alone?

message 28: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "I'm intrigued! I noticed it's number 5 - do you need to read them in order, or does it work as a stand-alone? "

That's a tough call. As far as the plot and mystery go, it works fine as a stand-alone. The guy from the past is not from a prior book (that I recall), but unique to this book.

However, not 'knowing' the characters could well take away some of the enjoyment. With this particular series of five books, I actually liked each one better than the one before as I became more and more attached to the recurring characters.

message 29: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments Dagny wrote: "That's a tough call. As far as the plot and mystery go, it works fine ..."

Hmm, good to know. I really hate reading books out of order, so I'll probably just add the first to my list. Thanks!

message 30: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "Hmm, good to know. I really hate reading books out of order, so I'll probably just add the first to my list. Thanks!"

They're all available free. The first three in numerous formats at Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/autho... and the last two at PG Australia http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m...
You can also listen to the first one at LibriVox.

message 31: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments Dagny wrote: "They're all available free. The first three in numerous formats ..."

Awesome, thank you!!

message 32: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "Awesome, thank you!!"

You're welcome. I am always happy to help spread the word about Project Gutenberg.

message 33: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "#11 Travels with Charley In Search of America by John Steinbeck"

I liked it well enough, Casey, although I think not as much as you did. Charley's parts were great-especially when he wanted to chase a bear! The bit about the border crossing and the rabies certificate was interesting - learned something new.

message 34: by Casey (last edited Jun 29, 2016 08:59AM) (new)

Casey | 43 comments #16 Tailing a Tabby (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #2) by Laurie Cass

#17 Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid
There's a little terrier named Charlemagne who plays a pretty important role in this one. Love her books!

message 35: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments Dagny wrote: "Casey wrote: "#11 Travels with Charley In Search of America by John Steinbeck"

I liked it well enough, Casey, although I think not as much as you did. Charley's parts were great-especially when he..."

I think I liked this more for the travelogue than anything else - I'd have liked more Charley though!

message 36: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments #18 Snow Blood Season 3 (A Vampire Mystery Thriller) by Carol McKibben
These are such a guilty pleasure.

#19 A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass
Read this for book club, and really enjoyed it.

#20 Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward
This book wrecked me. It's a gorgeous, raw story that left me gutted and thankful. I don't ever want to read it again, but I'm glad I did.

#21 Take the Monkey and Run (Call of the Wilde #4) by Laura Morrigan
As always, Laura Morrigan does it again! This series is so much fun, and I love the idea - that Grace can communicate with animals. Wish there'd been more Moss in this one though!!

And that's Level 4!!! I'm going to keep posting here, cause it's fun :)

message 37: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "And that's Level 4!!! I'm going to keep posting here, cause it's fun :) "

LOL, go Casey!

message 38: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments #22 The Icing on the Corpse (Pawsitively Organic Mysteries #3) by Liz Mugavero
Crossover with Cozy Challenge

message 39: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments #23 Murder Most Howl (Paws and Claws Mystery, #3) by Krista Davis

#24 A Deadly Tail (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery #4) by Dixie Lyle

Another great book in both these series!

message 40: by Chatting About (new)

Chatting About (lindalchattingaboutcozies) Dagny wrote: "Casey wrote: "And that's Level 4!!! I'm going to keep posting here, cause it's fun :) "

LOL, go Casey!"

Congrats on finishing your challenge, Casey! It's fun!

message 41: by Casey (new)

Casey | 43 comments Linda wrote: "Congrats on finishing your challenge, Casey! It's fun! "

Thanks!!!