2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Trapped (Afraid, #2)
This topic is about Trapped
. Week 21: Loved by Parent > Trapped by J.A. Konrath

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Mod (last edited Nov 22, 2015 02:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 599 comments Mod
I wouldn't say this is my mom's favorite book, by any means. But she did read it recently and it seemed to be one of those "can't put it down" stories. So I figured I'd give it a go. The story actually has two editions, one of them uncut. I decided to start with the uncut version and then found that it was making me queasy. I also didn't like that I had no idea where I was in the book length since it was technically after the book was completed. So about halfway through, I jumped back to the edited version. Part of me regrets that decision because, for whatever reason, the author decided to add a baby into the edit. I really disliked this decision because it added a certain level of absurdity to the story. Overall, it ended up being a good light read, if you don't mind (a lot of) gore. The main character is also a social worker so that was an interesting experience, seeing as how I'm a social worker for the same population :p

It was supposed to be a harmless camping trip. Six wayward teenagers who'd run into trouble with the law, and their court-appointed guardians, Sara and Martin Randhurst. Three nights on a small, deserted island off of Michigan's upper peninsula. A time to bond, to learn, to heal. Then Martin told a campfire story about the island's history. Of the old civil war prison hidden in there, and the starving confederate soldiers who resorted to cannibalism to stay alive. Everyone thought it was funny. They even laughed when Martin pretended to be dragged off into the woods. But Martin didn't come back. And neither did Sara when she went in search of him. Then the laughter stopped.

The group soon began to realize that this deserted island wasn't so deserted after all. And perhaps Martin's ridiculous story had more truth to it than anyone thought. What's the most horrifying thing you can imagine? This is a hundred times worse...

message 2: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
The summary is good, but I'm not a big fan of gory stories.
I like the fact you switched between the uncut and the edited version. You're living dangerously :p