Brandon Sanderson Community discussion

Questions > What should I read after Mistborn?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luke (new)

Luke Hi Guys!

I'm nearing the end of Well of Ascension right now after a long hiatus do to schoolwork, and I plan to move onto Hero of Ages next and finish the trilogy. My question is, where do I go next?

I haven't read any other Sanderson books but the Mistborn trilogy and want to catch up on all his work. I've heard amazing things about the Stormlight books, but I'm not sure if that is the right direction to go.

I would appreciate any suggestions on the order in which to tackle the rest of Sanderson's books!

Thanks!

message 2: by Ashley Carter (new)

Ashley Carter | 38 comments Definitely Stormlight! All his other books are great too.

message 3: by Ashley Carter (new)

Ashley Carter | 38 comments Definitely Stormlight! All his other books are great too.

message 4: by Joel (new)

Joel | 67 comments Having read all of his books, I would say you couldn't go wrong with any of them.

However, Stormlight is wonderful, and the Way of Kings ends in such satisfying enough way that if you want to take a break from it and try his other stuff then you could before coming back to read Words of Radiance.

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe (tiaskal) | 1 comments After Hero of Ages you are going to be having so many feels, you gotta dive into "Alloy of Law" to see where the Mistborn world goes next, and then "Shadows of Self" and the good news is that "Bands of Mourning" is just around the corner publishing early 2016! Now I started reading Sanderson with "Way of Kings", and I love the Stormlight Archives, but if you're already committed to the Mistborn side, you gotta keep going!

message 6: by TS (new)

TS Chan (tschan) | 25 comments Just read ALL of Sanderson's books! :)

message 7: by Ashley Carter (new)

Ashley Carter | 38 comments ^^YES! They are all really good!

message 8: by Ashley Carter (new)

Ashley Carter | 38 comments ^^YES! They are all really good!

message 9: by Ashley Carter (new)

Ashley Carter | 38 comments I don't know why this app is posting me twice. Sorry!

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldixon) | 118 comments Ashley wrote: "I don't know why this app is posting me twice. Sorry!"

Your comment was just that good!

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldixon) | 118 comments TS wrote: "Just read ALL of Sanderson's books! :)"

True!

I can not endorse Stormlight enough. This series is just beyond amazing. Don't let its girth and three prologues scare you - you will see the promised land.

If, instead you want to work up to Stormlight. Elantris is a solid entry and great for those new to Sanderson. Some struggle a bit with names in that one, but the story is just so good.

Warbreaker is another strong bid for your next read. Sanderson make it a deliberate flip from Mistborn. (kept the quality though

message 12: by Slick (last edited Nov 23, 2015 07:46AM) (new)

Slick | 73 comments What are you into?
I love Brandon's work all of it.
Stormlight Is a masterpiece i recommend that but if you have read it and fancy something more gritty i recommend
The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks
The Black Prism by Brent Weeks
Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence
Emperor's Blades, The by Brian Staveley
Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

message 13: by Luke (new)

Luke Thanks everybody I appreciate the input! I think I may be waiting until I finish the trilogy before deciding since there seems to be no "correct" order in which to read them. That makes it fun!

message 14: by Ben (new)

Ben Harten | 3 comments I was at the same exact junction just a bit ago.
My 1st Sanderson book was Memory of Light
Which lead me to start the Mistborn Series
I continued into Mistborn series 2 (Alloy of Law) which flowed really naturally and was really interesting to see the mechanics in a more industrialized world.
Then Way of Kings & Words of Radiance which I completed today and am looking for my next fix!

Not sure what to do... right now i'm feeling like people are pointing towards Warbreaker?

Any help from those who have read it allll?

message 15: by Roland of Gilead (new)

Roland of Gilead | 17 comments If you haven't read the next two in 2nd gen Mistborn, check those out (Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning). They're even better than Alloy of Law. Warbreaker is also pretty darn good and though a YA series, I loved The Reckoners trilogy.

Outside of Sanderson...

Blood Song by Anthony Ryan (though the next two kind of stink, mostly the third). Still worth reading considering how totally awesome the main protagonist is.

Red Rising series by Pierce Brown is incredible and I highly, highly recommend that you read it.

First Law series by Joe Abercrombie and subsequent stand alone novels set in the same world are great too.

I personally did not like Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks but I've heard his Lightbringer series is great.

message 16: by Ben (new)

Ben Harten | 3 comments Lightsong the Bold wrote: "If you haven't read the next two in 2nd gen Mistborn, check those out (Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning). They're even better than Alloy of Law. Warbreaker is also pretty darn good and though ..."

Thanks!
This year has been P. Rothfuss (Name of the wind+wise mans fear), Gentleman Bastards Series, Red Rising Series (I also thought this was great!), followed by my Sanderson binge which included the entire 2nd mistborn series (shadows & bands).

I'll look into First Law & Lightbringer Series

message 17: by Hernan (new)

Hernan Ruiz Camauer (heruca) | 1 comments Ben, you've been reading all the same things as I have. Just wanted to recommend another series I am loving, that I think you might enjoy: Fear the Sky (sci-fi).

message 18: by Blake (new)

Blake Neal (wbneal22) | 5 comments Ben wrote: "I was at the same exact junction just a bit ago.
My 1st Sanderson book was Memory of Light
"

Did you skip The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight? Brandon finished those as well.

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Rader | 44 comments One author I would recommend outside of Brandon Sanderson is Brian McClellan. I just finished his Powder Mage trilogy and loved it. Give His books a try.