Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Important Stuff > Technical Support

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
I've started a topic for any questions members might have relating to technical aspects of a Goodreads forum and account.
Ask any questions and myself or other mods (or any member who knows) will try answer.
I'll post a few common queries to start

message 2: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
Some have had trouble with their accounts crashing and while its easy to set up a new account and find your way back to the group its not so easy to start your bookshelves from the start. All your hard work on reviews can be lost.
Thankfully these can be backed up easily and uploaded again if you have to create a new account.Also lets you save your bookshelves in a handy csv file that can be viewed in excel

These instructions are for the Desktop version of the Goodreads pages.

1 - Select My Books from the top panel of the page.

2 - On the left hand side of the page find the option import/export and click

3. On the right hand side of this page Find the Export Your Books section and click export to a csv file.

4. Select save and the file will be saved to your documents or downloads folder as goodreads_export.csv This file can be opened and viewed in Excel, open office and notepad.

5. Do this back up every few weeks to keep it current.

6. If you have to create a new account for whatever reason to load your books and bookshelves back up follow step 1 and 2 above.

7. In the section Import from a file click browse and navigate to the saved backup (this will be saved in My Documents or My Downloads)

8. Once selected click Import Books and it will write them all to your account

Any questions let me know

message 3: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (last edited Nov 24, 2015 02:28AM) (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
Quick guide to add a picture #
You need to upload the picture to a sharing site lile tinypics.com or imgur.com
I use tinypics because it gives you options of the links one of which contains the html code prewritten so all you do is copy this link and paste it into the goodreads thread and it should work ( the correct link to copy is the one with code written between arrow brackets like these. 《》
If its a picture already on the net , just get its link by right clicking on it and place to address in the following code instead of the goodreads web address also change the brackets to these symbols <> -
(img src="http://www.goodreads.com/image..." width="40" height="100" alt="description"/)

message 4: by Brendan (new)

Brendan O'neill | 204 comments Great idea for a thread. Had no clue you could make a backup, thanks.

message 5: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
I had a few friends who's accounts either disapeared or where hacked so a backup is always a good idea

message 6: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1840 comments Mod
Paul wrote: "Quick guide to add a picture #
You need to upload the picture to a sharing site lile tinypics.com or imgur.com
I use tinypics because it gives you options of the links one of which contains the htm..."

Aha, Just seen this, trying to work it out through Imgur as i have an account there, no success yet...

message 7: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (last edited Nov 24, 2015 02:34AM) (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
Kirsty , if you right click on an image in imgur then select properties a pop up shows up which has a URL to the JPG , this can then be submitted using the code above , also change the height and width so its not silly small , so your shelf is as follows -
description

message 8: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Aha! Got it! Thanks :D

message 9: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
An easier way here would be great but once you do it a few times its grand

message 10: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2721 comments Mod
I was wondering if GR lets you have sub-shelves. I want to have sub-categories for some of my shelves, but I don't see a way to do it. Is anyone aware of such a possibility?

message 11: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
I don't think that's an option, hence why some people have shelves like 'genre-fantasy', 'genre-sf' etc :(

message 12: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
No its not built in similar to an excel table so fairly limited in that respects

message 13: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new)

Cupcakes & Machetes (hybridcreature) | 857 comments Mod
How do you link your reviews?

message 14: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (last edited Feb 28, 2016 07:34AM) (new)

Just the usual way of creating a hyperlink:

Replace ( with < :

(a href="http://www.yourlinkhere.com") Text (/a)

message 15: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new)

Cupcakes & Machetes (hybridcreature) | 857 comments Mod
Rinn wrote: "Just the usual way of creating a hyperlink:

Replace ( with < :

(a href="http://www.yourlinkhere.com") Text (/a)"

Thanks!

message 16: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1757 comments Mod
Not a technical question, but GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY! Goodreads has finally decided to make it so you can record each time you reread books :) I don't have a link at present as I'm writing this from my phone, but I'll find one at some point.

message 17: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1986 comments Mod
Freya wrote: "Not a technical question, but GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY! Goodreads has finally decided to make it so you can record each time you reread books :) I don't have a link at present as I'm writing this from m..."

Here's the link Freya:

https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/8...

message 18: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1757 comments Mod
Brilliant - thanks Roger :)

message 19: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1246 comments Freya wrote: "Not a technical question, but GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY! Goodreads has finally decided to make it so you can record each time you reread books :) I don't have a link at present as I'm writing this from m..."

That is *excellent* news! It's really the only functionality I've been annoyed that Goodreads doesn't have.

message 20: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Freya wrote: "Not a technical question, but GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY! Goodreads has finally decided to make it so you can record each time you reread books :) I don't have a link at present as I'm writing this from m..."

SO HAPPY! Although I've been updating my re-reads and seems to already know I re-read them :o

message 21: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (last edited Feb 12, 2017 04:47AM) (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
This really threw me as it happened while I was re-reading Consider Phlebas! I wasn't sure how it all worked, but I think i've got the hang of it. What I used to do previously was to just add a different version of the book, but this looks much better!

message 22: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) This is great! I'm excited.

message 23: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2721 comments Mod
Okay -- how do you add images and gifs? Can you upload from the computer?

message 24: by Greg (last edited Sep 11, 2017 08:33PM) (new)

Greg | 998 comments Audrey wrote: "Okay -- how do you add images and gifs? Can you upload from the computer?"

[Edit - actually Paul already answered this in post #3 but I'll leave mine here in case it helps]

Step 1: Upload the image

Hi Audrey, you have a few options for how to upload pictures.

1. You can upload them to your profile pics, but that's a little cumbersome and limiting for me.
2. You can find a place already on the web with the pic. Then you just copy the whole web address of the image. Some websites make that easier than others by right clicking on the image and getting the link to the image itself.
3. My favorite because it always works even from my mobile phone is to upload it using www.tinypic.com.

Step 2: Put image into a post

In your post put < img src="the web address of the image itself"> where you want the image to go
except without the space between the < and img

That's it.

message 25: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

So this business of adding an extra reading of a book. I'm currenty back in the wheel of time world. I have reviews on both the audiobook and paperback. I am currently re-listening to the audiobook, i have added a start date on the review as an additional read. Can I then change it to "currently reading" to show up in current;ly reading books without messing things up? or should i just wait until ive finished it?

does that make any sense??

message 26: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I think if you change it to currently reading now, it'll add ANOTHER start date, but I could be wrong. However, if it does you should just be able to delete the duplicate? It's done that a few times with books I've re-read, listed 3 reads instead of 2, and you can just manually delete them.