Book Loving Kiwis discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > December Book Pool Challenge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 117) (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sharlene (new)

Sharlene (sharlenesays) | 510 comments Mod
If you've never played, here are the rules:

Directions:

1. When you sign up pick 3 books you want to be included in the "book pool."

2. You can pick any book as long as they have been released before the challenge has started. Please no duplicates.

3. Once the challenge starts you will read books from the "pool."

4. At the end of the month whoever read the most books from the pool is the champion!

Have fun!

The challenge begins on December 1st.
To claim points, please don't start your books from the pool until then!

You can sign up and add books until November 30th. You can join the Challenge after this date, but you will not be able to add books to the pool.

message 2: by Sharlene (last edited Dec 31, 2015 12:40PM) (new)

Participants

#1 Erica - 3
#2 Darkpool - 3
#3 Kathleen - 10
#4 Deborah - 3
#5 Ella's Gran - 3
#6 Sharlene - 1
#7 ☆ C a r o l ☆ - 2
#8 Carole
#9 Mauzi - 2
#10 Kerry - 3
#11 Candice - 1
#12 Caroline

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica Mangin | 615 comments Mod
Yay totally keen for this :)

message 5: by Erica (new)

Just had a look through my shelves and these are the three books I'll contribute to the pool:

Oscar and Lucinda
How Green Was My Valley
The Cold Cold Ground

Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn The Cold Cold Ground (Detective Sean Duffy, #1) by Adrian McKinty

message 6: by Anna Faversham (last edited Oct 29, 2015 02:19AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (AnnaFaversham) | 116 comments I like the idea!

I read too slowly to take part, sorry. My 20 minutes before bedtime doesn't add up to many books in a year as sometimes I fall asleep before the 20 minutes is up. And I enjoy reading slowly and taking it all in if it is a well-written book.

message 7: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 994 comments So keen for this!!!
Thrilled you have nominated "how Green was my Valley", Erica - that's been on my to read list for ages.

My first book for the pool is Mistress of Rome
The rest are still under consideration. ;-)

Mistress of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #1) by Kate Quinn

message 8: by Erica (new)

Ooh and Mistress of Rome is on my to read list Darkpool so love your first choice :)

message 9: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1403 comments I'm in! And I'm going to put the three remaining books from my Languishing Literature Challenge, as I'm quite sure I'm not going to get to them in November!

Fingersmith
Resistance
Jia

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters . Resistance by Anita Shreve . Jia by Hyejin Kim

message 10: by Erica (last edited Oct 31, 2015 01:04PM) (new)

Great selection Kathleen...I've particularly heard great things about Fingersmith, so will look forward to checking that one out.

message 11: by Deborah (last edited Oct 31, 2015 11:18PM) (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 131 comments I will join in but have read nearly all of them before - will nominate 3 I have never read to give me a leg up! ;)

How Green Was My Valley is a 6 star book in my opinion! Probably one of my all time top 5 (am not sure I could ever narrow it down further than that!)

I loved Sarah Waters' first book Tipping the Velvet but have been disappointed in every one since, including Fingersmith.

Mistress of Rome is a fabulously engaging romp, Darkpool!

I am entering:

Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (am having a bit of a binge on Southern US fiction at present)

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Delilah (a retry - I have loved all her others and got off on the wrong foot with this one - possibly!)

Lesley~aka Ella's Gran | 1534 comments I'm going to participate but having a time of it picking my three selections!! :)

message 13: by Sharlene (new)

I am rereading Harry Potter during December but I don't want to add them to this bookpool because that's just an easy 3 for me. Will have to put some more thought into this.

message 14: by Lesley~aka Ella's Gran (last edited Nov 20, 2015 12:15PM) (new)

Lesley~aka Ella's Gran | 1534 comments Here's the first of my picks. I should really be choosing from my TBR shelf since I just know it is going to grow again in December!

Set in New Zealand by a New Zealand author -
Inside the Black Horse by Ray BerardInside the Black Horse by Ray Berard

Another I've had on my TBR for some time, and a New Zealand author. A fictionalised account of the navigator's early life, and the first in the trilogy -
The Secret Life of James Cook by Graeme Lay
The Secret Life of James Cook by Graeme Lay

A bit of HistFic for something different, and said to be for those who enjoyed The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (me!)
Wake by Anna Hope
Wake by Anna Hope

That's my three - definite - no changing minds!:)

message 15: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 994 comments Ok, I have my second selection... a bit of NZ non-fiction. Bright Star: Beatrice Hill Tinsley, Astronomer.
Bright Star Beatrice Hill Tinsley, Astronomer by Christine Cole Catley

Lesley~aka Ella's Gran | 1534 comments Just completed my three entries in message #14. Rearing to go!

message 17: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 994 comments And my 3rd book is The Blind Contessa's New Machine, which is just a tiny wee book to go with my previous 2 non-tiny books.
The Blind Contessa's New Machine by Carey Wallace

message 18: by Erica (new)

This is looking to be a really great book pool...bring on December! :)

message 19: by Sharlene (last edited Nov 22, 2015 01:09AM) (new)

My selection: Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer November 9 by Colleen Hoover The Help by Kathryn Stockett

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 131 comments I will have to alter 2 of mine cos I forgot and read them already *hangs head in shame*

Keep Delilah and will also nominate:

Cleopatra's Moon and

A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers

message 21: by Sharlene (new)

Deborah wrote: "I will have to alter 2 of mine cos I forgot and read them already *hangs head in shame*"

Updated your pool choices :)

message 22: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 994 comments Sharlene wrote: "My selection: Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer ..."

Yay!! Winter!!!!

message 23: by Erica (new)

I've got How Green Was My Valley out from the library and Oscar and Lucinda on my home bookshelf so those will be the two books I tackle first. Bring on Tuesday!

I've been hearing great things about Colleen Hoover Sharlene so will try and pick up November 9 before the end of Dec.

message 24: by Carol ꧁꧂ (new)

Carol  ꧁꧂  | 763 comments Is there room for one more? :)

Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge Also known as Green Dolphin Country by Elizabeth Goudge

The Bone People by Keri Hulme by Keri Hulme

Novel About My Wife by Emily Perkins by Emily Perkins

Mistress of Rome has been on my to read list for ever, so will definitely try for that one!

message 25: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 994 comments yay!! another three!
sigh, I used to have a copy of Green Dolphin Country, but it has disappeared. I swear I never took it out of my house.

message 26: by Erica (new)

Novel about My Wife is a great book...think I read it last year. Look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Good on you for joining in Carol!

message 27: by Carole (last edited Nov 28, 2015 02:57PM) (new)

Carole Brungar | 20 comments Hi All,
Can I add:
A Tide Too High by Carole Brungar

See Me by Nicholas Sparks

and

Bad Boy (Invertary #5) by Janet Elizabeth Henderson Bad Boy By Janet Elizabeth Henderson

message 28: by Mauzi (new)

Mauzi | 245 comments I'm in! Here are my three:

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff
The Martian by Andy Weir
The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff The Martian by Andy Weir The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #1) by Rick Riordan

message 29: by Carol ꧁꧂ (last edited Dec 01, 2015 01:15AM) (new)

Carol  ꧁꧂  | 763 comments Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) wrote: "yay!! another three!
sigh, I used to have a copy of Green Dolphin Country, but it has disappeared. I swear I never took it out of my house."

*red faced*I can't find my copy at the moment, but I'm sure it will turn up before the read!

Edit which it did! :) All set now

message 30: by Carolina (last edited Nov 29, 2015 04:15PM) (new)

Carolina Lins (VivendoaVida) | 3 comments The books serie:
Anna Todd After (After, #1) by Anna Todd

message 31: by Kerry (new)

Kerry | 64 comments I don't usually participate in challenges here on GR as I'm generally busy over on Librarything however since I got an invitation I'll add three that I intend to read in December.
Asylum City A Novel by Liad Shoham_ The Distant Marvels by Chantel Acevedo_ Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman

I'm also looking forward to Winter.

message 32: by Mauzi (new)

Mauzi | 245 comments Yay, thanks for picking Illuminae! I've been looking forward to it. :)

message 33: by Candice (last edited Nov 29, 2015 12:57PM) (new)

Candice | 3 comments * sorry, just editing to change one of my picks.

Hi all, new to the group and I'd love to jump in on this. There are a few great picks in the pool that are on my shelf waiting to be read :)

My three picks are:

Once upon a time in Beirut by Catherine Taylor Once Upon a Time in Beirut by Catherine Taylor

The Conductor by Sarah Quigley The Conductor by Sarah Quigley

Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

message 34: by Sharlene (new)

I'm excited about all the last minute entries. You've still got a few hours to convince our other members to join. I'm updating the pool from a McDonalds in Sydney but I make it back into Auckland at 11pm so if there are any more sign ups, you have until midnight to select your books!

message 35: by Sharlene (new)

Carolina wrote: "Here they are:
A Memory of Violets A Novel of London's Flower Sellers by Hazel GaynorThe Blind Contessa's New Machine by Carey WallaceWake by Anna Hope"

Hi Carolina
All 3 of your picks are already in the pool, so if you would like to pick 3 more before midnight, I will add them tonight :)

message 36: by Sharlene (last edited Nov 30, 2015 02:27PM) (new)

The challenge has started!! Here is the format for every time you post:

List the # you are from the participants list (can be found in message 2)

# of books completed from the pool (including current book)
book cover, date finished and the rating you gave it

example:

#12, Book 3 An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir 11/6 3 stars

Good luck and happy reading!!!!

message 37: by Kerry (new)

Kerry | 64 comments #10 Book 1 Asylum City A Novel by Liad Shoham 05 Dec 4.5 stars

Great crime novel, new writer for me.

message 38: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 994 comments May we include other posts as well as the results posts? eg a list of which books we plan to read, comment on which books we have started, etc? Or would that sort of conversation be better in a separate thread?

message 39: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1403 comments #3, Book 1 The Blind Contessa's New Machine by Carey Wallace 03/12. 4 stars

I love this little book - beautiful imagery and a poignant tale.

message 40: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1403 comments Ahh - got to go - no time.
But just want to say, Darkpool, though I'm not running this show in any way, but as long as our record-keeping for Sharlene is nice and clear then I'm sure we can do plenty of conversing along here as well.

Lesley~aka Ella's Gran | 1534 comments Kathleen wrote: "#3, Book 1 The Blind Contessa's New Machine by Carey Wallace 03/12. 4 stars

I love this little book - beautiful imagery and a poignant tale."

It sounds like a very appealing book, and I was astounded to discover of all the public libraries in this country there are only two holding this title - Wellington City and Auckland Cities!!!

Just a by the way, in 1802 Agostino Fantoni invented a typewriter to allow his blind sister to write. Turri, the character and her companion in the book, didn't invent his typewriter until 1808. I wonder why the book didn't go with her brother!?

message 42: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 994 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "It sounds like a very appealing book, and I was astounded to discover of all the public libraries in this country there are only two holding this title - Wellington City and Auckland Cities!!!..."

Seriously? how crazy is that?

I've just started "Cleopatra's Moon" (audiobook). I'm interested to see how it compares to Lily of the Nile, A nice little YA on the same subject which I read a few years back.

message 43: by Carol ꧁꧂ (last edited Dec 31, 2015 09:48AM) (new)

Carol  ꧁꧂  | 763 comments #7 here

I always like stating my goals! I'll move to another thread though if Sharlene says this is making it messy for her.

Goals My 3 + Mistress of Rome. Outside chance I might get to the Anita Shreve as her books turn up regularly at my work

Have started The Bone People.

Completed Reads

Mistress of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #1) by Kate QuinnBook 1 3.5* Finished 29/12 Fast paced and action packed tale about mostly horrible people

The Bone People by Keri Hulme Book 2 4* Finished 31/12 Uneven, but the best bits still pack a powerful punch

message 44: by Sharlene (new)

@Darkpool your welcome to write and discuss the books in this thread :) just make sure you post your results like mentioned so I can recognise them easily for collating ;)

Happy to see people have started reading. Tally will go up at the end of the day!

message 45: by Candice (new)

Candice | 3 comments #11 Book one November 9 by Colleen Hoover. 5/12 3.5 stars.

I was excited to start this one because I usually adore anything Colleen Hoover writes. This one kinda fell short for me though. It felt a little forced, and I couldn't bring myself to warm to their relationship. Am interested to see what others make of it.

message 46: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1403 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "... in 1802 Agostino Fantoni invented a typewriter to allow his blind sister to write. Turri, the character and her companion in the book, didn't invent his typewriter until 1808. I wonder why the book didn't go with her brother!? ..."

Yes - we'd rather read about lovers than brotherly love. But the author isn't the first person to favour Turri - I've just been trawling through a number of web articles and few of them mention Fantoni. Perhaps because Turri then invented carbon paper (patented) and because some of Carolina's letters to him Turri are intact, the brother got forgotten. Legends are much more interesting.

message 47: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1403 comments #3, Book 2 The Cold Cold Ground 04/12. 4 stars

A grim setting for this detective novel, with a likable protagonist and a great pace. I really liked the classical languages and classical music being part of it as well.

message 48: by Erica (new)

I'm about halfway through How Green Was My Valley and really enjoying it. Just not getting as much reading time at the moment as I would like.

Lesley~aka Ella's Gran | 1534 comments #5 Book 1, Inside the Black Horse 08/12. 4 stars

Debut novel set in the middle of the North Island, with a plot that centres around armed robbery, alcohol, gangs, drugs and all the havoc that this creates in a small community. The story line is very true to life, so, as you would imagine, the language is pretty earthy, there are some not so likable characters, but also some who are very likable.

message 50: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 131 comments #4 A Memory of Violets A Novel of London's Flower Sellers by Hazel Gaynor

1 star

My review: I considered giving this 1 star but ended by being kinder. Poor writing, cute plotting (not a compliment), trite, twee and irritating - yet readable enough, just. For me, the worst irritant was Florrie's journal being written inan accent, possibly meant to be Irish - this simply wouldn't happen: 'gen'lemen, shimmerin' etc; if she could spell in brogue, she could spell in normal! Also, she was born and grew up in London and while there may have been some flavour of the brogue from her mother (who died when she was very young) she would not have had it whole by the time she was writing her journal.

On the whole - poppycock!

Sorry everyone, I sold you a pup there!

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.