The Under-Hyped Readathon! discussion

Ready for Round 3?!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) | 46 comments Mod
The #UnderHypedReads readathon is back and I really looking forward to it!

This runs from 21st to 27th of September and the idea is the same as the last times; read books that you could deem underhyped!

message 2: by Terri (last edited Sep 19, 2015 05:29AM) (new)

Terri (TerriSA-UK) Ooh I'm definitely up for it ... as long as I get done with Lonesome Dove this weekend, which I'll be honest, is quite a task ... But hopefully (if I get off of here!) I'll manage it! These are the books I'll be choosing from - I won't get through all of these, of course, and knowing me will end up picking something completely different, but this is my theoretical TBR!

Disputed Land (71 ratings)
The Mountain Can Wait (124 ratings)
The Inn at the Edge of the World (241 ratings)
The Visible World (752 ratings)
Pantomime (1484 ratings)
A Brief History of Seven Killings (2087 ratings, but certainly not under-hyped, so maybe not!)

message 3: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (Staceyvickie) | 2 comments I am in!! This will be my first readathon and we hopefully get me out of my reading slump. I just need to decide on my TBR.

message 4: by Charlotte (new)

Stacey wrote: "I am in!! This will be my first readathon and we hopefully get me out of my reading slump. I just need to decide on my TBR."

Good luck with whatever you choose! Readathon's usually help me if I'm in a reading slump =)

message 5: by Charlotte (new)

Terri wrote: "Ooh I'm definitely up for it ... as long as I get done with Lonesome Dove this weekend, which I'll be honest, is quite a task ... But hopefully (if I get off of here!) I'll manage it! These are th..."

Good luck with Lonesome Dove! It's one that I may tackle eventually. The Brief History of Seven Killings sounds really good though I'm a little wary of the Man Booker books now after The Chimes...

message 6: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 17 comments Terri wrote: "Ooh I'm definitely up for it ... as long as I get done with Lonesome Dove this weekend, which I'll be honest, is quite a task ... But hopefully (if I get off of here!) I'll manage it! These are th..."

Pantomime is so good! :D

message 7: by Nadia (last edited Sep 20, 2015 02:53PM) (new)

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 17 comments My week is going to be a bit out of control but I want to try and read George by Alex Gino for a book club I'm participating in and for the readathon. It recently came out, and it has 1,459 ratings.

And because I'm ambitious (when it comes to reading ha), I want to start A History of Glitter and Blood by Hannah Moskowitz. I keep hearing great things about it, and I like how she writes, needless to say I'm excited for this one too. It has 309 ratings.

George by Alex Gino A History of Glitter and Blood by Hannah Moskowitz

message 8: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 1 comments Hi I have just decided to take part in this readathon.

I will try to read at least two books from following list:
Emil and the Detectives by Erich Kästner The Year of the Ladybird by Graham Joyce When Mr Dog Bites by Brian Conaghan Peach Blossom Pavilion by Mingmei Yip Secrets by Lesley Pearse

They all have less than 5000 ratings on goodreads and I don't really hear people talk about these books through booktube or through other avenues.

message 9: by Nixx (new)

Nixx | 1 comments I'm so in, I finally have time to really dive into a read a thon!

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth Keim | 3 comments I caught this at a bad time! I am trying to finish up "Go Set a Watchman" that I began weeks ago and "The Silkworm" for a mystery book club. Those selections don't quite fit the theme! Thank though, Charlotte, for organizing this again. I will catch it next time.

message 11: by Charlotte (new)

How's everyone getting on with their reads?

I've nearly finished The Ophiuchi Hotline by John Varley by John Varley and it's really good so far!

message 12: by E (new)

E (fleurinka24) | 7 comments I didn't think I'm gonna join but it seems I did pick up sort of underhyped books. Both are companion novels to TV shows (I've had them home for year, it was about time to get them read). The first one is Bone Key by Keith R.A. DeCandido and it's a companion to Supernatural. The second one that I finished today is Another Life by Peter Anghelides and it's a companion to Torchwood. I have to say that despite them not being top notch in writing, they made me feel kinda nostalgic (since Torchwood has ended and Supernatural is... whatever it is now).

Until the end of the week I'm planing to read Emmeline Pankhurst's My Own Story which I found has only 179 ratings. If I'll have the time, I'll finish Klaus Mann's Mephisto, which apparently no one on GR reads despite it being a classic.

message 13: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (heartlesstree) | 17 comments I finished GEORGE by Alex Gino just now, and LOVED it ♥

message 14: by Sue (new)

Sue Moro (Moro) | 8 comments I'm participating this year as well although I didn't get a chance to do a TBR video. So far I've read:

The Wandering Earth by Liu Cixin (388 ratings)
In The Window Room by Steven J. Carroll (109 ratings)
Sheltered a pre-apocalyptic tale vol. 2 by Johnnie Christmas (122 ratings)
100 Days in Deadland by Rachel Aukes (818 ratings)

Next up:

The 19 Dragons by S. M. Reine (616 ratings)

message 15: by Charlotte (new)

Sue wrote: "I'm participating this year as well although I didn't get a chance to do a TBR video. So far I've read:

The Wandering Earth by Liu Cixin (388 ratings)
In The Window Room by Steven J. Carroll (109..."

Glad you're taking part! How are you enjoying your reads?

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue Moro (Moro) | 8 comments They've all been good reads. I particularly liked The 19 Dragons.

message 17: by I'mogén (new)

I'mogén (PeaceCookiesBooks) | 5 comments Can anyone tell me the dates for this Feb?

message 18: by Charlotte (new)

I'mogén wrote: "Can anyone tell me the dates for this Feb?"

I haven't officially announced it yet but is most likely going to be the last week of February. I'll be sending a message around soon!

message 19: by I'mogén (new)

I'mogén (PeaceCookiesBooks) | 5 comments Charlotte wrote: "I'mogén wrote: "Can anyone tell me the dates for this Feb?"

I haven't officially announced it yet but is most likely going to be the last week of February. I'll be sending a message around soon!"

Thanks so much! Literally just talking about this in a video now, haha xD

message 20: by I'mogén (new)

I'mogén (PeaceCookiesBooks) | 5 comments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSYZB...
New video on what I read and the films I watched in January as well as my TBR for the #underhypedreadsreadathon !! ^^

message 21: by Clara (new)

Clara | 2 comments Hi!
My name is Clara and I am a new booktuber from Spain :). I have a bilingual youtube channel named 'The Inked Path'.

In my case it is the second readathon I try to do and I hope I can make it this time. At the moment I am reading the Illiad by Homer but this are:
-I Spit on Your Graves by Boris Vian
- The Pledge by Friedrich Dürrenmatt

I did not know them so I thought it was a good idea, and I have to read it for class so… :D

I know it is not very ambitious but last time I tried to do a readathon I picked up so many books and I did not finish them. I really want to start!

message 22: by Jessica (BookRockGoddess) (last edited Feb 28, 2016 06:39AM) (new)

Jessica (BookRockGoddess) Bolton (BookRockGodess) | 3 comments I missed the announcement for this. I am currently reading a book that is under-hyped to me because it is only has a little over 10,000 reviews. Let me know if that counts or not. I will have a TBR up soon.