Start by marking “The Ophiuchi Hotline (Eight Worlds #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ophiuchi Hotline (Eight Worlds #1)

The Ophiuchi Hotline

(Eight Worlds #1)

After the effortless capture of Earth by vastly superior aliens, humanity is forced to fight for existence on the Moon and other lumps of airless rock. The invention of the Hotline -- a constant stream of data from a star in the constellation Ophiuchus -- facilitates survival and enables the development of amazing new technologies. Then, after 400 years, humanity's unknown ...more
Paperback, UK edition, 180 pages
Published August 2003 by Gollancz (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Ophiuchi Hotline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ophiuchi Hotline

Start your review of The Ophiuchi Hotline (Eight Worlds #1)
Henry Avila
Lilo-Alexandr-Calypso is your typical mad scientist on the moon, of the female persuasion, doing illegal human genetic research, that it's proscribed by the state, doesn't bother her one bit. What annoys Lilo a great deal though, is the death sentence after being arrested and found guilty by the strict court . Set in the far future , when Earthlings have lost the Earth , to powerful, ruthless, alien invaders. The little left of the human race is scattered all around the solar system, from Mercur ...more
Bradley
After I finished the Gaia trilogy, I knew I had to keep going through all of John Varley's work.

It's not a compulsion. It's a necessity for the sake of my love of SF.

John Varley is one of the most impressive authors of the field I've had the pleasure to experience. The imagination and the devotion to pushing all those envelopes is the key to my love. :)

This one starts out noir with cloning goodness, moves on pretty quickly to the fate of the Earth and how it had been invaded, very successfully,
Lyn
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird book.

Opiuchi Hotline by John Varley, the author of the Gaian trilogy, is about… a lot of stuff – and all rolled up into a hard sci-fi, Bradburyan fantasy mix. I guess if I had to break it down and slap a label on it, I would say this is a first contact story, though a very original one.

This is a difficult book to review, it was kind of hard to follow, and yet, strangely compelling, like Dane Cook narrating a children’s book: contextually OK, but edgy and not just a little disconcerting.
Scott
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
How do you fight gods?

This is the question humanity is grappling with in John Varley’s The Opiuchi Hotline, a rollicking SF story short enough to gobble up over a couple of afternoons.

In Varley’s future humanity has spread across the eight worlds of the solar system, establishing thriving colonies on Mars, mercury, Venus, even Pluto. But there is a catch, as you might have guessed with their being eight worlds, not nine (note: in Varley’s time Pluto was still a planet).

Earth- the nicest and com
Allison Hurd
Nov 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 56%

I am sad to say I hate this book. It's taking me forever, I have no idea what's going on and am beginning to think this is more a thought experiment in how many ways sex and clones can be used in mundane ways than anything like a story.

While I was initially intrigued at a society with completely flipped morals to ours, and a sort of normalization of trans or non-binary life, it became clear that this wasn't actually assumed fully into the story. I hate the way sex is used. I hate that t
Stephen
4.5 stars. This is a fantastic story and I am surprised I have not heard more about this as I beleive it has all the makings of a CLASSIC SF novel. This is the first novel set in Varley's "Eight World" universe and is full of very interesting, and I imagine at the time, original concepts. Just a few of these include:

- The ability to back-up via computer a person's personality at any time and to "download" it into a clone of such individual (a strong parallel can be found in Richard K. Morgan's
Peter Tillman
2018 reread: I'm at p. 92 of 180 of this compact and amazingly good first novel, and very pleased with how the book is holding up. Kicked it back up to 5 stars. Just about nothing has dated. This was the setup book for Varley's remarkable Eight Worlds future history, his most lasting contribution to SF literature: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_W...

The book comes to a rousing and surprisingly hopeful finish, considering that it opened with the deaths
Anthony
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, sf
John Varley is a writer with enormous reserves of imagination, and this book pulses with a gonzo energy as he throws in to the mix a bunch of fun and varied and original ideas. In a manner that’s similar to the inventive classic Babel-17, the plot doesn’t always live up to the exciting ideas and vivid characters and the colorful dynamics coursing through its pages, but this book was always thoroughly enjoyable and provocative, and I definitely want to read more of his work.
Jordan West
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, read-in-2018
3.5; I've been aware of Varley since middle school, but his books appeared to be the hardest of hard sci-fi, and thus of very little appeal to me - this however, Varley's first novel, has proven to be (mostly) an exception to my prior assumption, for despite the author's interest in hard science that would later assume central focus, this book can be categorized as a hybrid, being roughly 3/4 New Wave space opera in the tradition of Bester, Dick, and Zelazny, and 1/4 hard science fiction; I foun ...more
York
Liked it and probably would have liked it more back in the 70s when it was written...somehow it felt more dated than it really was...Although after reading several Varley books, maybe I just don't care for his writing style...since many seem to love him...
Oleksandr Zholud
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short novel by John Varley, who in the late 1970s was considered by some ‘the next Heinlein’. While I don’t think that he is, but this doesn’t mean he isn’t a good and strong SF author, for he definitely is.

The novel is set in the Eight Worlds universe. The following text will spoiler a bit but no more than the book’s page here on Goodreads. The Mankind lost the Earth to singularity-level (?) invaders. There was no real war, for there was nothing the humanity could have done. Now it l
Dawn C
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media-ibooks
I recently read Varley's short story "Press Enter" and liked it enough to try a novel of his. But where his short story was a sort of ominous, slow-building cyber horror and character exploration, The Ophiuchi Hotline is a space adventure/space opera, and think by now I've established that I'm simply not into that. I need my scifi to be more philosophical, anthropological, speculative, explorative, full of moral debate and dilemma. It's well written for sure and he obviously has a very vidid ima ...more
Erik Graff
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
What an excellent book to be written as a first novel! Not only is the story well-plotted and written, but the cloning theme raises serious questions about what we understand as individuality. It has not been often that a novel has caused me to pause, repeatedly, for reflection.
I read this outside during warm summer days in the quadrangle of Union Theological Seminary in New York City.
Denis
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tend to round up with stars...

I like debut novels as much as I do debut films made by first time script writer / directors. There is either a certain charm to them or other times it is an urgent desperation. The charming ones tend to be simple straight forward if not a bit quaint or quirky. The desperate ones tend to be crammed packed with a multitude of ideas and scene and issues and are filmed in various stylistic manners... It's almost as if the author or film maker believes they may never
Charlotte Jones
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has been on my shelf for years and I'm so glad that I finally picked it up. I have been getting into science-fiction a lot more recently and think that I read this novel at the perfect time.

I will say, first of all, that this book is extremely confusing at points. Clones and cloning is a huge part of the civilisation in this book and it was difficult to understand what was going on at points but I think that as the story progressed this became much easier.

I loved the portrayal of gende
Wealhtheow
Jul 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This book starts out *wonderfully*, and I love the premise of the book. Generations ago, humanity was cast out of Earth by Invaders who are so much smarter and more powerful, they actually operate on a completely different plain. A tinkerer of genetic structures gets caught, condemned to death, and rescued by various factions of humanity. It follows her story, although along the way she gets killed and cloned a half dozen times. A cool look at identity, and I definitely loved the world Varley cr ...more
Angus McKeogh
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I’m new to this author and was actually the most interested in another book by this author, but it happened to be later in this series, so I’ve started from the beginning. I’d never heard of this book but the premise was extremely creative; likewise, the result was just as impressive. I’m definitely going to continue on through this series and I’m anticipating that the later books will potentially be even better.
Charles Dee Mitchell
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Try not to take this personally.

In the year 2050, invaders from another galaxy enter our solar system and take over Jupiter and Earth. They have come to make contact with intelligent species like themselves, which unfortunately does not include the human race. On earth they are interested in only whales and dolphins. Human beings they put in the same category as beavers and muskrats. By plowing under the surface of the planet, they cause most earth life to starve. I suppose the invaders are mea
prcardi
Storyline: 3/5
Characters: 2/5
Writing Style: 3/5
World: 5/5

This was a work full to the brim with ideas. One the reasons I read science fiction is just for those sorts of ideas, and in that way this was a rewarding experience. Later authors like Kim Stanley Robinson would work similarly, although turning those passing ideas and brief mentions into pages long infodumps and laborious expositions. Varley isn't lecturing, however, and he's not building anything resembling literature. He's getting the i
Tom Quinn
Lilo is the clone of a clone of a clone, forced into the service of a former Earth president who needs to figure out how to defeat The Invaders who casually slaughtered every human who happened to be living on the planet at the time. Thank goodness for the settlements on the moon, Pluto, and the rest of the solar system, right? And thanks too for The Ophiuchi Hotline, an interstellar channel of streaming information which humans use to advance their technology centuries ahead of schedule. In a c ...more
Lars Dradrach
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jim Mcclanahan
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't belive this is the first Varley work I've read. Surprisingly fresh and relevant, considering its age. I found it to be an interesting way of affirming the value of the human spirit through a host of adverse circumstances. Some fascinating characters in extraordinary scenarios.
Fred
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wild, pioneering sci-fi ideas. Reminds me of a Reynold's hard sci fi approach, but Varley wrote this in the 70ies and that's just something
Bill
Nov 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
It's got to be 30 years since John Varley lit my brain up with his Gaea Trilogy.

I kept meaning to read him again but he just kept slipping off my radar. A few weeks ago I saw a mention of the Gaea trilogy and decided to put this one on my to-read list here. My list has been woefully thin of Science Fiction because, as Greg Kihn sings, "They just don't write 'em like that anymore".
In my opinion, anyway.

This one started off great, and stayed pretty great for most of the novel. What really impresse
Daniel Kenefick
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Los of interesting ideas in this one, from cloning, to unknowable alien invaders, to sleazy alien merchants - to be honest, I wish it were longer; there is a lot to cram in ~200 pages and everything needed a little more time to breathe. Maybe that happens in the sequels.
Mitch
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-2020
3.75 Stars
A surprisingly great little gem of a book that I think highlights how far ahead in both writing quality and thematic interest Varley was than his contemporaries (Even if it's handling of those topics is a bit juvenile compared to today).
Vajnis
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book and it ended with a warm feeling!
Aaron
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fantastic.
Robert 'Rev. Bob'
Now that's what I call a mindbender.

I read this immediately after Clifford Simak's A Heritage of Stars, and the blurbs make the two books seem very similar. Both were published in the same year, and in both cases Something Happened several hundred years ago that wiped out most of the people on Earth. Aside from that, the books could hardly be more different.

Simak's book is a post-apocalyptic tale of tribal humans taking their first steps toward rediscovering society and technology. It's very Gol
Christopher Sutch
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My five-star rating of this book should not be taken as an indication of its literary merit; Varley's prose in his first novel is not exactly masterful. It does, however, get the job done, and this is a pretty impressive debut. This is the kind of science fiction book I enjoy reading: it's about half a dozen different things that somehow all fit together, it contains a bunch of scientific extrapolation (from a mid-1970s perspective), and the plot is pretty ingeniously worked out...and all that i ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Hard SF: BotM: “The Ophiuchi Hotline” by John Varley 5 34 Jan 03, 2012 05:24AM

• The Pursuit of the Pankera: A Parallel Novel About Parallel Universes
  • A Quantum Murder (Greg Mandel, #2)
  • All My Sins Remembered
  • Edges (Inverted Frontier #1)
  • Mindbridge
  • Downbelow Station (The Company Wars, #1)
  • Slimer
  • Interface
  • Red Moon
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Marooned in Realtime (Across Realtime, #2)
  • Kill Orbit (Cry Pilot, #3)
  • Lord Valentine's Castle (Lord Valentine, #1)
  • China Mountain Zhang
  • Burn Cycle (Cry Pilot #2)
  • The Will to Battle (Terra Ignota, #3)
  • Isle of the Dead
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
Full name: John Herbert Varley.

John Varley was born in Austin, Texas. He grew up in Fort Worth, Texas, moved to Port Arthur in 1957, and graduated from Nederland High School. He went to Michigan State University.

He has written several novels and numerous short stories.He has received both the Hugo and Nebula awards.

Eight Worlds (4 books)
  • Steel Beach (Eight Worlds #2)
  • The Golden Globe (Eight Worlds #3)
  • Irontown Blues (Eight Worlds #4)

News & Interviews

“Gas chamber, gallows. Electric chair, stake, firing squad. Hang by the neck till you’re dead, dead, dead, and may God recycle your soul.” 0 likes
“He was an extraordinarily ugly person, Lilo thought, with the ugliness that only caricature can achieve. As repulsive as a twisted, stunted ghost from the past on Old Earth.” 0 likes