Out of Time Series discussion

A Time to Die (Out of Time, #1)
This topic is about A Time to Die
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Read-Throughs > A Time to Die Read-Through 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Emily | 23 comments Starting in October, we will be having a read-through of A Time to Die.

Think of it as an online book club. Every week, we will read several chapters of the book and meet back here on Saturdays to chat about it. We plan to post several questions each week to keep everyone thinking, but feel free to share your thoughts!

Saturday, October 3, will be the first Saturday. A schedule of the readings per week and more information will be posted very soon.

The exact time each Saturday does not matter (there are people from all different time zones), just remember to post sometime that day. The comments may continue into the rest of the week as well, but try not to post about the newest week's readings until the corresponding Saturday.

As always, remember to keep your posts clean and considerate of others. Not everyone has read the book, so do not post spoilers of things to come unless you hide them through the formatting.

Thoughts? Questions? Is anyone excited? I know I am! Feel free to share with your friends!

Carrie-Anne Thomas (faithsongandfire) | 79 comments Awesome. xD I've already read it twice recently, but October is far enough away to read it again... Okay, so half a month isn't very long, but... I don't care, I'm going to read it again. xD

message 3: by Emily (last edited Oct 23, 2015 03:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily | 23 comments The time is drawing near! Super excited to read this book with all of you!

First off, here is the schedule. Please read the chapters listed (about 50 pages each week) and be ready to come here and discuss them on the corresponding Saturdays. It will take 8 weeks. Sound good?

October 3: Chapters 1-5
October 10: Chapters 6-11
October 24: Chapters 12-17
October 31: Chapters 18-23
November 7: Chapters 24-28
November 14: Chapters 29-33
November 21: Chapters 34-38
November 28: Chapters 39-43 (end)

You can post any time on the Saturdays and are welcome, by all means, to carry the conversation into the next week. But no spoilers, unless you hide them, for the parts we as a group haven't read yet.

Anyone excited yet?

P.S. Maybe we should post a photo of ourselves in costume or a costume we want to wear on Halloween? What say you to this?

message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison Ruvidich Awesome!!

Carrie-Anne Thomas (faithsongandfire) | 79 comments Awesome. xD I actually don't know how to hide the spoilers in formatting... xP

I am SO excited, yes! XD

P.S. I don't do anything Halloween, but a costume might be fun... If I could think of one to do... xP Unlike Parvin, I am not great with a needle. :-P

message 6: by Nadine (new) - added it

Nadine Brandes (nadinebrandes) | 22 comments Faith wrote: "Awesome. xD I actually don't know how to hide the spoilers in formatting... xP

Oh, hiding spoilers is easy. :) You just type this formatting (but without the spaces)

< s p o i l e r > Then you write whatever you want SPOILER! AHHH! And then close it with < / s p o i l e r >

It will look like this:
(view spoiler)

Carrie-Anne Thomas (faithsongandfire) | 79 comments xD Thanks.

*gasp* That was a huge spoiler, Nadine! 0.0

(view spoiler)

Megan McCullough (meganmccullougbooks) | 6 comments *Sarcasm* Wow...why would anyone post just a huge spoiler! You know, Nadine, I think you just ruined the entire trilogy for me. LOL :D

Megan McCullough (meganmccullougbooks) | 6 comments Faith wrote: "Awesome. xD I actually don't know how to hide the spoilers in formatting... xP

I am SO excited, yes! XD

P.S. I don't do anything Halloween, but a costume might be fun... If I could think of one t..."

I don't do anything Halloween either. But I have dressed up as Parvin for the book trailer I made. :D

Reading with Rebecca Nicole I'm so excited to read this with you! And 50pages a week should be doable even with my busy schedule :D

Carrie-Anne Thomas (faithsongandfire) | 79 comments xD Yay! Another joiner! *waves* Hi, Rebecca!

Emily | 23 comments Welcome, ladies! Glad to have you!

And I was just thinking of updating our profile pictures with a costume we wish to wear or a photo of us wearing one, just for fun, of course. I have been longing to dress up just for the fun of it.

Emily | 23 comments Hello! Good morning for the first week of the read-through! By now, I hope you have read chapters 1-5. I'm posting a few questions to start us off. Answer the ones you want or comment on anything. I will answer them myself after a bit. Just remember, answer the questions with only the knowledge of what you have read so far - no spoilers!

Isn't it crazy how someone figured out how to make a clock for everyone's lifetime? I mean, how is it possible for genetics to be able to tell you? Have any theories or anything? Could it actually be possible here?

What do you think of Parvin's desire to be remembered? Don't we all wish to be remembered in some way? Do you think she's going about it the right or wrong way?

What do you think of Parvin herself? Has she truly wasted her entire life? How about her relationships with her family? Do you think her relationship with her mother or other family members are strained? Why?

What do you think of Reid? Is he being selfish by leaving again? What do you think he is up to?

What about Skelley Chase? If it was impossible for him to meet Parvin before, why can he do it now? Is there something else going on with him?

What is you favorite part so far? Anyone think it is unfair that most chapters of A Time to Die end in cliffhangers? What does this say about the ending of the book itself?

Megan McCullough (meganmccullougbooks) | 6 comments Reading the beginning A Time to Die the first time gave me chills...reading it a second time lets it really sink in. I find myself thinking even more what I would do if I knew the day I would die. The second even. The people of Unity Villiage almost worship their Numbers. It's very thought provoking.

message 16: by Kiah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiah | 14 comments Well, apparently we all had busy weekends… :) I didn’t have as much reading time this past weekend as I thought I would, so by the time Saturday rolled around I hadn’t read through chapter 5 yet. Thus the post on Monday.

First off, I think I forgot just how much I like this book. It’s been a while since I started A Time to Die from the beginning and really took my time reading it, and I’m finding myself surprised at how much I’m enjoying it. I have a tendency, especially on my first reading of a story, to speed read and skim over details because I’m so excited to find out what happens next. When I do that, I don’t really give my head enough time to process and imagine—to picture what’s happening in my mind. So I’m taking it slow and paying attention to details this time around, and Parvin’s world is coming alive.

My favorite quote from this week’s chapters: “If I could unbutton my soul and hang it up, its downtrodden state might dry off by morning. Instead, I lie on my bed and let it float in my swirling emotions.” A bit of poetic loveliness, and besides that, I can totally relate. :)

Thanks for putting together such thought-provoking questions, Emily! I’ll tackle a few of them …

Could it [the invention of a clock that tells how long you have to live] actually be possible here? I don’t believe so. Don’t get me wrong, I am blown away by the ingenuity of the idea for a dystopian novel, and I’m fascinated and even challenged by the implications of it, but I don’t think it could ever happen in our world. I’m thinking of James 4:13-16: “Come now, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit’—yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, ‘If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.’ As it is, you boast in your arrogance.” God’s word is eternal, and so I have to believe that knowledge of life and death is reserved for God alone.

What do you think of Parvin's desire to be remembered? Don't we all wish to be remembered in some way? We do all desire to be remembered, but honestly I think that is a selfish desire that stems from our sinful human nature. In the long run, we should be desiring that God be remembered instead of us. Psalm 115:1 “Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of Your steadfast love and Your faithfulness!” Isaiah 26:8 “In the path of Your judgments, O Lord, we wait for You; Your name and remembrance are the desire of our soul.

What do you think of Reid? Is he being selfish by leaving again? Honestly, I can’t say that I have an answer to this question. We know so little of that section of Reid’s life that I can’t make any judgments about whether his choices were selfish or not. Instead, this raises a ton of questions in my own mind (and this is going to take a spoiler insert). (view spoiler)

Reading with Rebecca Nicole I'm a little behind. I finished chapter 5 last night. What an amazing start to this book!!

What do you think of Parvin's desire to be remembered? Don't we all wish to be remembered in some way? Do you think she's going about it the right or wrong way?
Yes, we all want to be remembered. I think it would be great if she really could make a difference in radicals lives with her book. I know too little of the world the story is set in to know if her book will make a difference.

What do you think of Reid? Is he being selfish by leaving again? What do you think he is up to?
There is more going on here. We know so little of Reid's story! I can't really judge him at this point.

What about Skelley Chase? If it was impossible for him to meet Parvin before, why can he do it now? Is there something else going on with him?
Okay, when he said he only had one day alarm bells went off in my head. Does he only have one day left on his clock?? He is definitely intriguing and I think there is more going on here.

What is you favorite part so far? Anyone think it is unfair that most chapters of A Time to Die end in cliffhangers? What does this say about the ending of the book itself?
Yes it is unfair! I like to put books down at a chapter end or a break in chapters. As sad as it is, I have to put books down. College, and work and life! Honestly, I'm fine with books ending in cliffhangers (okay, not fine. But I have reconciled myself with the idea), but I hate when every chapter ends that way. It almost feels like it is just there to keep me reading. I would have kept reading without it! :/ Also, I have read too many books that I did not like that ending each chapter in a cliffhanger, so I might be jaded.

A few other things I want to mention
So if twins are not uncommon, how do they ever know which clock belongs to whom? Why do Parvin and Reid not know?? I'm not buying the unexpected triplet thing as the answer.
Also, every family can only have two kids? :'( It makes sense in this world....but I want a big family, so it makes me sad....

message 18: by Kiah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiah | 14 comments Rebecca ~ Silvan Elf ~ wrote: "So if twins are not uncommon, how do they ever know which clock belongs to whom? Why do Parvin and Reid not know?? I'm not buying the unexpected triplet thing as the answer."

That is a very intriguing question, Rebecca, and one I've never really thought about before! In the case of Reid and Parvin, one of them did not have a clock matched at conception because there were only two clocks between three children, but you’re right—even if you had twins that both had clocks, how would anyone ever know which clock belonged to which twin? Nadine might be able to answer this question, but it's a puzzler to me.

Emily | 23 comments I was actually thinking about this earlier. How would people know whose clock it was if they had twins? Would they just guess and when one dies, know the answer? And, seriously, triplets do happen - wouldn't other triplets have the same problem of one too few clocks? Also, my thought was that, after a child was born, the authorities would give them a new clock in case they had another child...but maybe I'm wrong.

message 20: by Nadine (new) - added it

Nadine Brandes (nadinebrandes) | 22 comments [Author steps in}
*clears throat*
Alrighty, let's talk twins.
You're right. They wouldn't know who the Clock belonged to. The Clocks have only been around for 100 years and they're a very primitive invention. From the moment they were first invented, no one's been able to improve them or change them. So what would be expected is for a family to inform the Enforcers that their twins do have Clocks, but it's unclear to whom it belongs.

A mother is given new "empty" Clocks after each birth to account for future children. They have to have a new ovachip inserted into their body after having a child. Usually the midwife would do this. :) So...they can have a big family, but the government isn't going to (and technically can't) just give them an endless supply of Clocks right off the bat. That would be wasteful and inefficient.

I'm enjoying everyone's questions and reactions! :) This is fun!

message 21: by Reading with Rebecca Nicole (last edited Oct 07, 2015 09:18AM) (new) - added it

Reading with Rebecca Nicole Firstly, it is so cool that you are part of the group, Nadine!! Thanks for answering our questions :D
But I do have a few more...

So...does the midwife work for the government? Wouldn't she have turned Parvin and Reid in since the other triplet's clock expired? And if not, why wouldn't she have turned them in?

And back to twins...
What would happen if the clocks had different numbers? If it is so important that they have clocks, how would the whole last year thing and goal planning go? Would they both just use the lesser number to be prepared?

message 22: by Nadine (new) - added it

Nadine Brandes (nadinebrandes) | 22 comments Rebecca ~ Silvan Elf ~ wrote: "So...does the midwife work for the government? Wouldn't she have..."

It's super fun to be part of the group! :D

Some midwifes do. But as you'll see when you read further, Unity Village isn't exactly "law-abiding." The Enforcers would rather just dispose of Radicals than register them (like with Mr. Foster in chapter 1.) You'll learn a tadbit about Mother's midwife (her name was Bridget) in book 2. She and her husband had to flee to a Dead City because their consciences kept them from following all the government's rules. ;) So that's why Parvin and Reid were safe.

Regarding twins:
Yes, they'd both start planning regarding the lower number and would simply do Mentoring together. The Last Year Funds would be adjusted accordingly (so that the longer-living twin didn't get double the funds.)

Basically, twins are tricky! And you ask great questions! :)

message 23: by Kiah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiah | 14 comments Interesting... So potentially there could be many people in the same boat as Parvin—not knowing when they will die in a world that revolves around the unalterable knowledge of the timing of people's deaths.

Also, can I just rant for a minute about how amazing it is to be a part of this read-through with the author popping in and giving answers to our questions and wonderings about the book?!? It feels like being backstage in a sense, or (better yet) sitting down with the author of one of your favorite books, cup of tea in hand, and chatting as you read together. :) I'm thankful to live in a time where technology makes this possible! Thanks for hanging around and being willing to answer questions, Nadine!

Reading with Rebecca Nicole Thanks Nadine!! That makes more sense now. I can't wait to keep reading!!

And I agree with Kiah, this is sooooo cooool!!! :D:D

Carrie-Anne Thomas (faithsongandfire) | 79 comments I hadn't thought of those questions! I now have answers, though. ^-^
I've been a bit busy lately, so I didn't get around to answer these questions until late, but... Yeah. :-P

Isn't it crazy how someone figured out how to make a clock for everyone's lifetime? I mean, how is it possible for genetics to be able to tell you? Have any theories or anything? Could it actually be possible here?

It is crazy! I don't think genetics could tell you, unless it was going to be a genetic problem that caused death, or maybe death by old age. It makes for an epic story, though!

I can completely understand this desire. I've noticed a similar train of thought in my own actions, and thoughts, ideas, etc. I think a biography is a good idea, as long as she goes about it the right way.

What do you think of Parvin herself? Has she truly wasted her entire life? How about her relationships with her family? Do you think her relationship with her mother or other family members are strained? Why?

I like Parvin... She's very much like me. :-P But, yes, as much as it pains me to say it, I think she has wasted her life.
Hmm... I think, to avoid giving spoilers to the people who haven't read further, I'll not answer the rest of this question. xP

Reid... Hm. I like him... I don't usually give more than that about characters. My thoughts don't translate very well into words. xP
I think we need more information than the first five chapters give in order to tell if he is being selfish.

... xP Spoooooiiiilers.

Yes, it's horrible! I had a hard time putting the book down after chapter five, even though I've read it twice before.

Thoughts:

It's so neat watching speculations on this books! Clever things that I never thought of. xP
We should definitely also do a read-through with the other books! I would have such fun speculating with other readers who knew the same amount about the book as I do.
This book is amazing, isn't it? It gets even better. In just a couple chapters, something happens, and... Oh, wait. Spoilers again! XD

Emily | 23 comments Week 2! Wow, what a place to end! If you haven't read the series, I bet you read ahead ;)

Thank you for all your comments so far. So interesting! Plenty of things I had never considered. I hope you all are having fun!

Here are this week's questions. Again, answer the ones you want when you want to or write your own thoughts.

Isn't it horrible how the doctors have to refuse medical attention to patients with little time left or no clocks? Is there any way that could be considered ethical? Are there similar practices going on in real life?

Do you think God will answer Parvin's prayer to make her last months count? Will it be what Parvin expects?

Is Parvin's plan of writing her autobiography still sound like a good idea? Is she really thinking ahead? Didn't Skelley say he was going to publish it in 1 month rather than 6?

Now what do you think of Skelley Chase? Any good in him at all or is he merely out for the glory? What of his claim that he can "do anything"?

How different is it for Parvin when she is on the other side of the hearing?

How is her family reacting? Do you think they are all reacting normally?

What happened to the Newtons?

How about Parvin's belief that she will die when she crosses the wall? If she dies now, doesn't that mean Reid will be the one to die later? Will her stubborn belief cause her to do anything stupid?

What is your favorite part or something you are wondering about?

Reading with Rebecca Nicole I'm having fun reading the book, but I don't have much time on here lately! I'll try to answer some of the questions in the next couple days :)

message 28: by Carrie-Anne (last edited Oct 19, 2015 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carrie-Anne Thomas (faithsongandfire) | 79 comments Well, I was going to wait until everyone else had answered the questions, since I'm reading it for the third time, but the week's over, so I guess I'll just answer them. :-P
It's a horrible place to end! o.o I've read it before, and I read ahead. xP Like... the whole book...

Isn't it horrible how the doctors have to refuse medical attention to patients with little time left or no clocks? Is there any way that could be considered ethical? Are there similar practices going on in real life?

Yes, it's horrible. I thought about this for a moment, and something occurred to me. As it really is, with humans being sentient beings created in the image of GOD, there is absolutely no way that this could be ethical. However, from the point of view of someone who does not believe in GOD, there's no difference between humans and non-sentient animals. Therefore, it would make sense for them to do this. They are saving medical care for people who have more time.

Do you think God will answer Parvin's prayer to make her last months count? Will it be what Parvin expects?

Oh, yes. I think he certainly will. But as to being what Parvin expects... I'm not sure she knows what she expects. But... Is it ever what we expect?

Is Parvin's plan of writing her autobiography still sound like a good idea? Is she really thinking ahead? Didn't Skelley say he was going to publish it in 1 month rather than 6?

He did say that originally, but then he said he'd try to publish it in six months instead.

Now what do you think of Skelley Chase? Any good in him at all or is he merely out for the glory? What of his claim that he can "do anything"?

He's definitely up to something, but I think it's too early to say whether he has noble intentions or not.
And I'm pretty sure he can do pretty much anything. Not anything, but pretty close.

For one thing, she feels the crushing despair that she once only saw.

How is her family reacting? Do you think they are all reacting normally?

Something is definitely up, but... You can see the different ways that the different members of her family react to this, which is very interesting to me.

How about Parvin's belief that she will die when she crosses the wall? If she dies now, doesn't that mean Reid will be the one to die later? Will her stubborn belief cause her to do anything stupid?

That would mean Reid will die in six months, yeah. But it's possible she might get hurt, or sick, or something... Or starve. And so die in six months.

What is your favorite part or something you are wondering about?

As much as it's a little odd, I like the part where Parvin is in the hospital with Reid. With everything that's happened... Skelley Chase, Reid, everything, this is still when she first gives her whole life to GOD. Even if she was a Christian before, this is when she actually surrenders everything to Him. It's powerful.

Emily | 23 comments Well, I see that few people are posting, even with two weeks for the last post. We will push the dates back a week because of the accident with the dates. Are you all interested in continuing to participate and post? We will continue for a couple more weeks, but if no one posts, we may have to call this read-through off.

If you are more comfortable without questions, just posting what you want, please say so. I thought it would help, but I may be wrong. I don't want you to feel pressure on that account.

Please respond to this post, so I know people are still interested.

Carrie-Anne Thomas (faithsongandfire) | 79 comments I know I'm still interested! There are some busy schedules around here, though, so I can understand people not getting around to answering the questions.

Please remember, people, that you don't have to answer all of the questions, or even any of them. It's completely optional, though it might be helpful to post and say that you've read the chapters for the week, so we know people are still participating! xP

Reading with Rebecca Nicole Alright! I'll be sure to post when I've read the chapters! I've just started chapter 23 now.

I've been meaning to reply to some of the questions. They can certainly be a conversation starter. I've just been super busy with school and work. And whenever I do have time, I only have the mobile app, and I find that a bit too annoying for lengthy posts. I'll try to answer some of the questions later today!

message 32: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Emerson | 2 comments I'm still interested! My schedule has been crazy busy, and I ended up giving my copy to a friend right before the read-through, so I have to wait until the one I ordered comes in to reread the chapters. I will try to post when I have the book and time though! I think the questions are helpful prompts for the discussion.

message 33: by Kiah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiah | 14 comments Same here! I’m still interested, but life’s been crazy lately. Had company the whole of last week and hardly touched my computer, and then *guilty gulp* A Time to Speak came out, and I was consumed with that. :) I just haven’t had extra time to sit down and put a thoughtful post together.

As far as the questions, I think they’re grand, and I wouldn’t want you to stop posting them, Emily! It’s great to have them to spark thought and conversation, but at the same time I’ve never felt that I have to answer them all.

Anyhow, please don’t call off the read-through! And if you’re going to push the dates back a week, would you mind posting a new schedule with the chapters and corresponding dates just so we’re all on the same page?

Emily | 23 comments Thank you. Don't worry, I totally understand being busy--last Saturday I was so busy I didn't have time to post anything on here until 6-7 pm and I had other things that needed to be done after that, which is why I never posted anything at all. Sorry about that. You don't have to wait for me to comment on the next week, but I will try to do better. It gets discouraging, though, when no one posts.

Also, I updated the schedule at the top.

message 35: by Kiah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiah | 14 comments Thanks, Emily! I will do my best to post tomorrow!

Reading with Rebecca Nicole Yeah, I definitely read ahead of that chapter! What a place to end it. (view spoiler)

I really like Faith's answer to this question, and I agree with it whole heartedly. It seems weird that people could know for sure when someone will die. Like, if I believed the clocks and someone got injured or sick but they still had time left, would I just not worry about it?

I totally believe that God has big plans for Parvin. And knowing God, I doubt it will be what Parvin expects when she thinks of her life "counting."

I'm not quite sure what to make of him. He seems cold to Parvin, but I still feel like we don't what is really going on with him. And yes, I think he can do almost anything.

It's kinda weird, but I really enjoyed this part of the book. I loved how Parvin got to see what it felt like to have a defender. It really made her attempts seem like they mattered even if they didn't amount to anything.

It's first person, one narrator, present tense, and we are too early in the book for Parvin to die...

message 37: by Kiah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiah | 14 comments Since I failed to post last week, I am commenting on last week’s and this weeks’ reading, so chapters 6-17.

First of all, a couple of my favorite quotes from these chapters:

Despair links its fingers with mine. All my life I’ve wondered what my purpose is. Today, I realize with a twist in my gut, that all my wondering and waiting hindered me from seeking a purpose. I could have done so much more if I’d braved intentionality sooner. Wow, what a true statement. This was actually really convicting for me.

I can’t comprehend the full emotion in his wrinkled brow and grinding jaw, but his eyes hold deeper sorrow than I’ve ever witnessed in my short life. In this moment, I realize how very different sorrow is from pity. And this, ladies and gentleman, is why I love Solomon Hawke. He is by far my favorite character in the series. When I took Nadine’s Which Character are You Quiz, my result was Solomon. Maybe this is why I like him so much… because I relate to him better than any other character. But anyhow, the emotion in this scene is so gripping, and Solomon’s compassion for a girl he barely even knows is palpable and real. I loved it.

Everyone has faces on. I want them to be real—to cry and be fearful with me. I find this so compelling because I’ve been in this same situation where I am unsure of how to act around someone who is suffering or in distress. Do I put on a brave face, or a cheerful face? Do I stay silent and give them a hug? Do I try to encourage with words? I still don’t know the answer in every situation, but I love this idea of feeling right along with someone. It reminds me of Romans 12:15: “Rejoice with this who rejoice, weep with those who weep.”

It’s interesting that this question was asked because just in the past couple of weeks I’ve been in a couple of conversations about how this very thing is actually happening nursing homes today. Old people who are frail or terminally ill or not expected to live long are not given the same quality of treatment that others are. It’s heartbreaking.

To the first question I would say most definitely! God will use her life for His purposes when she surrenders to Him. Will it be in a way that she expects? Almost certainly not. God’s ways are higher than our ways, and his thoughts higher than our thoughts.

Some of these questions are really hard to answer after having read A Time to Speak because of course with more information you have a different perspective on everything. At this point in the story though, the only conclusion I can come to is that Skelley Chase is the personification of evil in this series and that his motives for everything he does are completely self-centered.

Chapters 12 through 17 are a little reminiscent to me of Katniss’ first day or two in the arena in The Hunger Games. But this story is so much better because unlike Katniss, Parvin doesn’t have to just rely on herself. I love seeing her little spark of trust in God grow and slowly catch fire. Here, when she is at the end of herself and has no one and nothing else to rely on, she must seek God. And He is with her and is faithful, even when she questions that truth.

Carrie-Anne Thomas (faithsongandfire) | 79 comments Oooh. I didn't know Nadine had a "which character are you" quiz! Do you still have the link?

message 39: by Kiah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiah | 14 comments Faith,

Here ya are! Click here. Have fun! :) And let me know what your results are, if you care to! I'm super curious.

Carrie-Anne Thomas (faithsongandfire) | 79 comments Thank you! xD I got Parvin. I was almost certain I would, since Parvin is the character I've related with most... ever. xP

message 41: by Emily (last edited Oct 28, 2015 02:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily | 23 comments So, I am posting the questions for chapters 12-17. I still intend to post the questions for the next week on October 31, only a few days from now, so be aware. You can continue answering the questions from today after Oct 31, if you want.

If you want, we can post images of a costume we want to wear or us in costume for fun this Saturday. I know not everyone likes Halloween, but if you are up for imagining costumes, perhaps costumes that the characters in this series would wear, have fun.

Without further ado, the questions:

Parvin finally decided she had a chance to live. Do you think she will survive her injuries? The injuries do seem pretty terrible, since she cannot even feel the needle when she stitches up her leg.

Is it true that Parvin is invincible as she thinks, since she believes the clock is hers? What if the clock is Reid's?

Do you think wild animals could actually become so accustomed to hearing a sound (scream) announcing a meal that they would forgo a meal that was right in front of them?

What do you think of Hawke?

What else did you notice? What is your favorite part?

What do you think the independents will be like?

Emily | 23 comments My response to the chapters:

Not a lot happens as far as plot in these chapters. Parvin is injured and travels a little bit, growing weaker and weaker from illness and infection. She is very delirious, but she begins to trust God more and realizes He might have a plan for her in the West.

When I first read this book, the way that the animals were attuned to the sound of screaming for their meal fascinated me. I had jut finished learning about scientific studies about that exact thing, where a dog or a child specifically would become accustomed to a sound, smell, or feeling accompanying something good or bad so much so that they would not realized that thing was there otherwise. I wonder how it would work with wild animals, though.

I liked Parvin's reworded prayer. It was her way to be personal with God.

Skelley is irritating. He was so cold and did not care at all if she lived or died. All he cared was that Parvin told a good story when she sent in her updates. I wonder, though, what happened to the money from the book, when it is published? Skelley helped, but it is Parvin's story? Shouldn't she and her family get some of the paycheck?

I loved how Parvin called the pine tree a spider tree. Once she named it that, she kept it up in her thoughts and updates, which was hilarious! One of the reasons I like this series so much is Parvin's sarcastic or random thoughts and side comment, of which the "spider tree" is an example.

Carrie-Anne Thomas (faithsongandfire) | 79 comments *nods* I like seeing how Parvin acts in these chapters.

Parvin finally decided she had a chance to live. Do you think she will survive her injuries? The injuries do seem pretty terrible, since she cannot even feel the needle when she stitches up her leg.

Is it true that Parvin is invincible as she thinks, since she believes the clock is hers? What if the clock is Reid's?

Whether the Clock is hers or Reid's, she could still fall into a coma, or become brain-dead until the six months are up.

Do you think wild animals could actually become so accustomed to hearing a sound (scream) announcing a meal that they would forgo a meal that was right in front of them?

Well... I think they could get used to being fed like that, and that if they had just eaten, they would ignore the meal, but if they lost the wall as a food source, they would probably eventually start hunting for food.

What do you think of Hawke?

I like what I've seen of him. I have since that first scene. xP

Yes, Emily, I like how she nicknames people and things in her mind, and keeps referring to them like that. It adds another bit of depth to her character.

Emily | 23 comments Chapters 18-23:

What do you think of the beliefs of the Albinos? They seem to be a combination of overly radical nature worshipers and intolerance to anyone else's beliefs, if I understand it right... What about Alder's view on the subject? Is it like anything we have today?

Can you believe Nadine allowed Parvin to actually be seriously injured!? Is this different or similar than other books like this that you have read? Are there any ways this could be a good thing for Parvin? What do you think of her response? Is it realistic? Could she have responded better under the circumstances?

Who is Jude? Is he good or evil? Why do you believe he is hesitant to go to the city? What is his relationship with Hawke?

Isn't Willow the sweetest!? What makes her want to leave her village, even though she shares their beliefs, to join Parvin and Jude?

What changes for Parvin when she witnesses the birth of Ash's baby?

message 45: by Kiah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiah | 14 comments Okay, so as you can tell, I’m not great at posting on Saturdays. They’re pretty hectic days usually, and this past one was especially so.

These chapters were… unexpected. Nothing about them was as I would have imagined, but that’s part of what is so great about A Time to Die.

What do you think of the beliefs of the Albinos? I think they are very, very wrong. We see worship of the creation over the creator in our world a lot, but I find it interesting that the Albinos have such a regard for plants, but not for animals, claiming that they are able to defend themselves whereas plant life is not. That's not something we really see in America.

Can you believe Nadine allowed Parvin to actually be seriously injured!? Is this different or similar than other books like this that you have read? No, I absolutely cannot. Nadine has a special way of surprising me in both books she’s published so far. You just never know what to expect in her writing, except for the fact that it will almost certainly not be what you expected. In this instance, I was sort of shell-shocked the first time I read it. I’m so used to books where the hero is untouchable, or at least where nothing irreparable can ever happen, that I sometimes get emotionally disconnected, knowing that nothing terrible will actually happen. For Parvin to not only be seriously injured, but be maimed for life, to have a disability… I couldn’t believe it. What do you think of her response? Is it realistic? Could she have responded better under the circumstances? Yeah, I feel that it was realistic. She has a sort of “righteous anger” against the Albinos that took her hand for very misguided and unjust reasons, and I totally get that. I think I would feel the same way. Could she have responded better? Sure. Her anger and unforgiveness are not godly responses, but as a fellow human, I would probably react the same way.

Who is Jude? Is he good or evil? Why do you believe he is hesitant to go to the city? What is his relationship with Hawke? I’m not going to answer these questions except to say that I still have a lot of questions about Jude, even after having read book 2.

Isn't Willow the sweetest!? What makes her want to leave her village, even though she shares their beliefs, to join Parvin and Jude? :) She is pretty sweet. Definitely a lovable character. As for the question, you know, I’m not really sure. Adventure? Wanting to see what else is in the world?

What changes for Parvin when she witnesses the birth of Ash's baby? She finally gets a little glimpse of what God is trying to teach her about life. SHALOM. She realizes that this world is not as it is supposed to be, but one day God will make all things beautiful.

By the way, I love Jude’s “Tally ho” and “Welks” so much that my brother and I have adopted them into our own conversation with one another. :)

Carrie-Anne Thomas (faithsongandfire) | 79 comments What do you think of the beliefs of the Albinos? They seem to be a combination of overly radical nature worshipers and intolerance to anyone else's beliefs, if I understand it right... What about Alder's view on the subject? Is it like anything we have today?

It's interesting that you'd ask this question, actually, because I was thinking about it a little while ago. Basically, their beliefs are a largely enhanced form of the mindset of a lot of Americans. "Save the planet," and all.

Can you believe Nadine allowed Parvin to actually be seriously injured!? Is this different or similar than other books like this that you have read? Are there any ways this could be a good thing for Parvin? What do you think of her response? Is it realistic? Could she have responded better under the circumstances?

I didn't expect it to actually happen! Characters don't usually get so seriously hurt... And it last!
Yes, "shell-shocked" is a good way to describe how I felt.
I think this could help Parvin rely on GOD more, since she's a lot less capable of doing a lot of things.
I think her response was pretty realistic.

Isn't Willow the sweetest!? What makes her want to leave her village, even though she shares their beliefs, to join Parvin and Jude?

She is! I think... I think she knows there's more to life, even if she doesn't realize it, and she's looking for it.

What changes for Parvin when she witnesses the birth of Ash's baby?

She saw shalom, even with broken shalom. She saw that even when there's pain, GOD can use it to create life.

Yes. xD My mom has started using the word "Welks," and I use "Tally ho" all the time. xD

message 47: by Nadine (new) - added it

Nadine Brandes (nadinebrandes) | 22 comments Hubby and I use Tally ho and Welks ALL THE TIME! :D
I'm determined that these sayings shall take over the world. ;)

message 48: by Kiah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kiah | 14 comments Honestly Nadine, I wouldn't be too surprised. They're sort of contagious. :)

Carrie-Anne Thomas (faithsongandfire) | 79 comments They are! xD

Reading with Rebecca Nicole Nadine wrote: "Hubby and I use Tally ho and Welks ALL THE TIME! :D
I'm determined that these sayings shall take over the world. ;)"

Aww, that's so cute :) They very well may take over the world!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.