Start by marking “A Time to Die (Out of Time, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Time to Die (Out of Time, #1)

A Time to Die

(Out of Time #1)

How would you live if you knew the day you'd die?

Parvin Blackwater has wasted her life. At only seventeen, she has one year left according to the Clock by her bedside.

Published September 23rd 2014 by Enclave Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Time to Die, please sign up.
Nadine Brandes I pulled some of these answers from a blog post I wrote on the topic, only because I felt that it was already answered succinctly. :-)

If I felt God…more

If I felt God was giving the "ok", I would commit some hard-core writing months (about three or four) to completing the Out of Time series. For the sake of my readers (yes, for you!) If I couldn’t finish it in that time, I’d start looking for authors who could finish it/polish it for me.

I would write intentional letters.
Words are my passion. I would make sure I had a stack of letters to be given to each person I love after I passed on, hopefully encouraging them to pursue life and God full-speed and to REJOICE at my joining Christ in heaven.

I would visit my relatives.
I grew up away from most of my relatives so I didn’t build the relationships with some of them that I would have liked. I would take at least two weeks to a month and road trip (with the hubby, of course!) around America, visiting them, having intentional quality time with them, and — with some — trying one last time to share the importance of Christ.

I would pray and fast more.
This is one of those things I already try to do, but I’m a spiritual wimp. Praying is the more tough side of relationship with Christ for me. I would love to devote hours — and I mean carpetburns-on-the-knees hours — to praying, fasting, and communing with God. The one time I intentionally fasted and pushed myself past my human desires, it completely changed me. And that was just one time.

I would tell my story.
This one would take the most courage. There are very few people who know my full life story, but recently God’s been urging me to share it — the nitty gritty, the mistakes, the spiritual doubts…all of it. But it’s hard to completely bare our souls to others, especially if we’re expecting disapproval.

So…I would suck it up and either start telling my story (verbally) or through book-form. I already know God can use it to touch many other lives. I just need to push through my own insecurities and trust Him in my weakness.

Some little things:
I would go skydiving, sleep on an overnight train (preferably the Trans-Siberian Rail, which — if I go to Russia — would be very doable.), ride a tandem bike, and send up a desperate plea to J K Rowling (who probably won’t even see it) asking her to let me treat her to a cup of tea.

But, these are little things. Inconsequential things. Not big enough to be labeled as dreams, they’re just desires that would provide me with temporary happiness and then a good story.

My real goal in my last year would be to live as passionately as my weak, shy, cowardly human body allows for God’s glory.(less)
Amanda Hookham
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Nadine Brandes
Oct 23, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommended to Nadine by: http://nadinebrandes.com/blog/
I'm certainly not going to write a review for my own book. That kind of defeats the purpose of reviews. BUT...I thought I'd include a parental guide for those who like to know exactly what type of content is going to be in the book.

PARENT'S GUIDE

I recommend this book for ages 14 and up, though the maturity of the reader plays a big part. So, basically, if you're a parent...know your child's reading level.

Profanity: NONE

Intimacy: There is attraction between a boy and girl, but no kissing.

Vi
Madelyn
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
FULL REVIEW HERE: http://literarycafe.weebly.com/home/a...

I finished this book approximately three weeks ago. It has taken me the entirety of that time to gather my incoherent fangirling thoughts and write this whirlwind of a review.

I'm sure everyone has a book that they can't stop seeing around. Wherever you go, wherever you look, it somehow always seems to pop up. For me, that was this book. Why I ignored it for so long I still do not know (Especially with that gorgeous cover. Ask anyone. I'm
C.B. Cook
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, dystopian, favorites
Edit: Added content review

Wow. Wowwowwow. At the very least, I can say this book kept me guessing until the very end!

And as this is the first book I've finished in 2016, I though I would do a special format. Here's to twenty sixteen!

*SPOILERS BELOW*

2 (phrases I'm going to try to use) - Welks (for you're welcome - guess how long it took me to figure that out!) and Tally ho!

0 (things I loved about Skelley Chase) - Let's just say that I REALLY hope he kills a tree in front of Alder. I REALLY REALLY
Hannah Rodes
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Time to Die by Nadine Brandes

Parvin Brielle Blackwater is seventeen years old and has only one more year to live. Same as everyone else in the East side of the wall, Parvin has a clock counting down to the day she is going to die. When it is found out that Parvin has been illegally sharing a clock with her brother Reid, she is thrown over the wall—her peoples death sentence. Here she finds her calling and grows closer to God. But now with only six months to live, is it too late to except that
Sarah Grace Grzy
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 16+ violence
Wow. Wow. Wow. I just don't even know how to review this . . . but I'll do my best.

This book is so incredibly *deep* it almost made my brain hurt sometimes. Brandes tackles some very good - and weighty - questions throughout, and handles them in an exceptional manner. It really makes you think - which I loved. Some of the concepts and ideas just blew my mind.

The characters were a ton of fun, not to mentioned relatable, honest, and real. The MC, Parvin, is just like any one of us. She wants to
Shantelle
I recently came to love dystopian. It intrigues me. Thrills me. So when I saw that A Time to Die by Nadine Brandes was a Christian dystopian, I was so excited to read it! Now I sit here, contemplating. One star? Four stars? Five stars? It was raw, it was riveting, it was heart-breaking! I suppose I won't know exactly what I think about this book until I read the second book in the series. But no, no, the one star is out of the question. A Time to Die is a too well-written and fascinating of a ta ...more
Tracey Dyck
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
JANUARY 20/19 REVIEW

I still love it. My heart is still in pieces. I need book 2 ASAP—thank goodness it’s waiting on my shelf!

NOVEMBER 19/17 REVIEW

OH. MY. GOODNESS. This trilogy gets a lot of hype, at least in my reader circles, and I was desperately hoping it would live up to all those glowing reviews. IT DID. Bless Nadine's heart, it did.

This is one of the most unusual dystopian novels I've read, because it's infused with a lot more faith and hard questions and almost urban fantasy-ish setting
Gabriela
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow. Just wow. I was worried about not liking this after seeing everyone love it. But I shouldn’t have worried. I loved it!

In Parvin Blackwater’s world everyone has a Clock. On that Clock the Numbers tell how long you have to live. Parvin has a year left to live. She wamts to do something meaningful. She wants to be remembered. She begins to think she is doing something right, when she is discovered to be sharing a Clock with her twin brother. As punishment she is thrown through the Wall that di
Melanie Kilsby
This is the Christian sic-fi version of the Hunger Games.
WOW!

I was exhausted by the end with all that Parvin had gone through. That girl made up for the lack of life she lived before, let me tell you!

Nadine did such a great job with building this new world with: memorable, heartwarming, sweet, interesting and slightly creep characters that seem to stick with you.
I love her play on lemons. Such a unique way for readers to associate to a character. I really thought I was smelling lemons at one
Rebekah
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I. MUST. READ. THE. NEXT. BOOK. Seriously though. After having this series highly recommended to me by several friends, I got the first book as a Christmas a present from my grandparents. After the holiday business and starting college business, I finally had a couple days of solid reading and finished it. Finished it with heart beating about five times as rapidly as it should.
The whole idea of lives being run by clocks and all manner of electronic chips you could put in your mind was fascinati
m a r y l i z
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a rather tricky book to review. See, I really liked some aspects of the book, but...I didn't totally love it.

I've come to the conclusion that dystopian is not my genre. It's just not. I've tried several different dystopians, but interestingly enough, they all earn about the same rating. I guess I just can never get into it? Maybe it's too depressing for me, I dunno. :P Though I will say that for a dystopian book, A Time to Die was much less dismal than others. In fact, I would argue tha
Rebecca (whenallotherlightsgoout)
Sorry guys, I'm going to be the odd one out for this book

UPDATE: You lovely people successfully convinced me to read the second book, which I enjoyed much better. You can read my review here
----------
Here it is. The long awaited review.
I know some of you are really curious to see my thoughts, especially with my two stars on Goodreads. Truth is, this review is nearly impossible to write. This book is definitely a "it's not for me, but that doesn't mean it's not for you" kind of book. And I don't
Serethiel ☽ ✨
This book made me rethink everything I thought I knew about God. About life. About time. About death. About family.

Do yourself a favor and go read this gem. ❤

(view spoiler)
R.F. Gammon
I've seen this book hyped up since I joined Goodreads, and ended up buying the whole series in paperback with some Christmas money. I read this first one in a couple of days.

And sheesh, was the hype worth it.

LIKES:
-This is Christian fiction that is NOT AFRAID to get real. And dark. And I love that. Life in the Christian world is not all fun and games, and it's a little weird to go from this to Mitford....but I still love them both. <3 And the fact that the darkness is not GLORIFIED but is i
Taylor Knight
This is one of my favorites of 2015 for sure.
I loved everything about this book. The writing was really great, the characters were awesome, and the concept was so incredible. I thought the idea of having a little clock that counted down to the exact second you would die was so incredibly imaginative. It kinda reminded me of that movie In Time with Justin Timberlake in a sense.
I just really loved the concept of this book and how Nadine brought it to life.
This book is just so interesting and ent
Ashley Bogner
Parvin Blackwater lives in a world where everyone knows the day they will die. With only one year left on her Clock, Parvin realizes she hasn't done anything meaningful. She tries to find a purpose, which results in her being exiled from her home and sent to the world beyond the Wall. What will she find there? Will she survive?

I thought A Time to Die was very thought-provoking and asks some tough questions. How would we live if we knew the day we would die? Do we put God's plan above our own?
Eva
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
So, so great! I loved the Christian worldview - so rare and refreshing for dystopian fiction. Basically, I liked/loved almost everything about this book.
Zac
Synopsis:

How would you live if you knew the day you'd die?

In a last-ditch effort to make a difference, she tries to rescue Radicals from the crooked justice system. But when the authorities find out about her illegal activity, they cast her through the Wall -- her people's death sentence.

What she finds on the other side about the world, about eternity, and about herself chang
Sierra Faith
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Time to Die

Genre: Christian, Dystopian.

Favorite Quote: “You shouldn’t be placing hope in our lives, Parvin. That’s my point. I don’t know the answers of the future, but your confidence and hope need to be in God.”

Age Range: 14+ (See end of review)

POV: First person, Parvin.

Stars: 4/5

The whole idea for this book was unique; I found it very interesting. The setting of A Time to Die is a Dystopian world where everyone knows the day they die, for Parvin that day is soon.

I fell in love with Parvin,
Kris Aleman
hello friends i am now an emotionally crippled potato.
full review to come.
Lisa Godfrees
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has a little bit of everything.

It's dystopian, for those of us that wonder what it would be like to grow up in a world even more messed up that the world we live in. What would you do if you had to follow arbitrary society rules that weren't fair? What would you do if you were impoverished and the system was against you? Would you struggle? And what would that look like?

It's survivalist, for those who like to read about people pushing themselves past the breaking point, to overcome the
Addy S.
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I originally had this at five stars, but decided to take away a star after I really got down to the core of the book. Let me give the rundown:

-Language: a few ugly words like 'idiot', etc.
-Violence: a LOT to be on the look out for. Fighting, guns, etc. Nothing so descriptive I couldn't read it, but I would caution readers under the age of 12-13.
-Blood/Gore: a good bit in this category also. Several characters get limbs cut off (semi-detailed) and a lot of detail abo
Hope
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I . . . don't know how to feel.

Review to come
Beth
Living in a time when the day of your death is predicted at birth, seventeen year-old Parvin Blackwater feels she has wasted her life. According to her Clock, she will die by her 18th birthday. Determined to make a difference with the time she has left, she uses her last year privileges to request a meeting with famous biographer, Skelly Chase, hoping to find her purpose while writing her life story. Her meeting with Mr. Chase exceeds her expectations, but all is not as it seems. When government ...more
Claire Banschbach
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a good story with a very interesting premise. I just didn't care for it as much as others. Partly I think because I'm not really "into" the YA/Dystopian genre.

Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant premise and the author is an amazing writer. It's just that the first half of the book dragged really slowly for me. And I spend much of the time being frustrated with the heroine (as seems fairly standard with this genre). Half the time I wanted to smack her for whining about how she had wast
Mikayla
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
For the sake of the fandom that will probably be commenting a ton on this review, I would have liked to enjoy the book. Also it was such an interesting plot, I went into it REALLY wanting to like the book. Truth is I can only think of one thing I liked about this book: Mrs. Newton and I'm really not quite sure why I liked her so much.
There was so much in this book that I just didn't like. I didn't like Parvin, she never did anything. Ever. I didn't like Reid because apparently he really didn't
Ashlee Willis
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-ya-reads
“Eighteen dead years. Why didn’t I see them dying? Why didn’t I feel my time wilting? I spent so much of my time lounging in regrets and sipping bitterness that I abandoned any thought of creating happy memories; instead, I wasted. Just wasted.” (Nadine Brandes, A Time to Die)

Many times while reading A Time to Die I felt as if someone had taken me by the shoulders and shaken me until my teeth rattled, until my eyes focused in a different way and I was seeing not only the story I was reading, but
Gabrielle
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 15 and up
How would you live if you knew the day you'd die?

A Time to Die by Nadine Brandes is one of the few books that I consider to have rocked my world. The first time I read it, I was in a book coma for the rest of the day. Powerful, moving, and heartbreaking beyond words.

Parvin Brielle Blackwater is an inspiration. She is an amazing character who endured so much for what she felt was worth fighting for. Nadine Brandes does a stellar job of telling the story through Parvin's eyes-giving the reader the
Michaila
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: unfinished
I realized I never wrote why I didn't finish this book.

I liked the plot and generally what I read (which is a big deal for a girl whose favorite authors all died over a century ago). It was a little TOO dramatized for me, with repetitive fragment sentences, but I get that it's a style.

I had read probably 1/3 to near 1/2 (??) when I came to apart when the mc, Parvin, is traveling with this guy and has this sort of awkward lust thing. Maybe there was a lesson with it but..........
I personally don'
Alyssa

What I thought:

Me to Myself: I must read this! Everyone is gushing about it and it’s just sitting on my shelf!

Myself to Me: Yes, but I have such a huge TBR list! AND I have other books that are on my shelf that I haven’t read yet!

Me to Myself: Mm, hmm. You’ve done it before, and the cover’s so pretty!

And that’s how I stated reading it! (So what? I talk to myself Gollum style.)

At first, I didn’t see what all the hype was about. I found Parvin kinda whiny (you might die in a year. So your
  • The Heir War (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1b)
  • Black Tiger (Black Tiger, #1)
  • Search for the Shadow Key (Dreamtreaders, #2)
  • Reapers (Reapers, #1)
  • Merlin's Nightmare (The Merlin Spiral, #3)
  • Failstate
  • One Realm Beyond (Realm Walkers, #1)
  • Goddess Tithe (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #5.5)
  • A Star Curiously Singing (DarkTrench Saga #1)
  • Red Rain (Unacccepted, #1)
  • Defier: The Girl Who Stood (Defier #1)
  • Resistance (Ilyon Chronicles, #1)
  • Vanquished (Enslaved Series, #1)
  • Oath of the Brotherhood (Song of Seare, #1)
  • The First Principle (Emancipation Warriors, #1)
  • Reclaiming Shilo Snow (The Evaporation of Sofi Snow, #2)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy #1)
Nadine once spent four days as a sea cook in the name of book research. She's the author of FAWKES and of the award-winning The Out of Time Series. Her inner fangirl perks up at the mention of soul-talk, Quidditch, bookstagram, and Oreos. When she's not busy writing novels about bold living, she's adventuring through Middle Earth or taste-testing a new chai. Nadine and her Auror husband are buildi ...more

Out of Time (3 books)
  • A Time to Speak (Out of Time, #2)
  • A Time to Rise (Out of Time, #3)
“Ribbons! Long ones, short ones, ones for every mood." He does a little dance to the singsong rhythm. "Thin ones, thick ones, and ones to tie your shoes!” 42 likes
“You shouldn’t be placing hope in our lives, Parvin. That’s my point. I don’t know the answers of the future, but your confidence and hope need to be in God.” 33 likes