YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Team Threads Archive > Team Rowan (S) - Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Tati (last edited Sep 04, 2015 11:27AM) (new)

Tati | 10171 comments Team Rowan

Tati ✔
Melanie ✔
Abby ✔
Mystery ✔
Mona ✔
Tay ✔
Adriana ✔

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments Yay! I can't wait to have an easy-going challenge.

message 3: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments I know how you feel, Abby! Not having to fit books into blocks or find a golden box it's a relief!

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments Checking in! So excited for this challenge! :)

message 5: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7148 comments Checking in!

message 6: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments Hello!

Anyone has anything planned already?

message 7: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments Definitely fitting in all the graphic novels I haven't gotten around to yet. Gotta take advantage of a challenge where I can actually read them.

message 8: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments I'm not a big fan of graphic novels, but I agree with you, you have to seize the opportunity!

message 9: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7148 comments I'm gonna be reading the last three book of the Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, The Copper Gauntlet by Cassandra Claire and Holly Black, The Scorch Trials, Cut Both Ways and probably a few more.

message 10: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments Oh, I really enjoyed the Covenant series!

The Copper Gauntlet is a no-go for me, though

message 11: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7148 comments Have you read The Iron Trial?

message 12: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments Yeah, and I was too bothered by the similarities to Harry Potter to keep reading the series.

message 13: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7148 comments I didn't realy see that many similarities. I mean yeah, it's a magic school and there are three protagonist, but other than that, everything was completely different. The Magic system, the characters, THE PLOT TWIST (Holy shit! That was awesome!). But I get that some people might be bothered and that's okay. I only have a problem when people claim that it was a Harry Potter rip-off.

message 14: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments For me, it was too much, especially knowing Cassandra Clare's background in HP. She used to write Harry Potter fanfiction and was involved in a bit of plagiarism scandal way back when. This coupled with the fact that she just won't let go of the Shadowhunters world made her a fixture on my no-go list at the moment.

But I hope you enjoy your read, that is the most important thing, I think.

message 15: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7148 comments Personally, I love Cassie. She's one of my favourite authors and I really excited for the release of Lady Midnight.

I've never really bought into the whole plagiarism thing. I just don't see the similarities in The Mortal Instruments and Harry Potter. I adore both the series. I know about her history of HP fanfics but I don't read fanfics so...

Who are your favourite authors? I'm making a list of authors I need to check out. There are so many!

message 16: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments I got tired of her, to be honest. Her adding three more books to TMI was too much for me.

Hm, YA authors that I really enjoy are:

Jennifer L. Armentrout
Richelle Mead
Rachel Vincent
Kresley Cole (Arcana Chronicles series)
Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Sarah J. Maas

But to be honest, I focus more on the books than on the authors. If the blurb looks good, I get it.

message 17: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments I agree, Tati. I'm more about the books than authors. Though I'll read anything Meg Cabot puts out, because she's my all-time favorite. Also, Stephen King.

message 18: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments The one author I buy anything he puts out is Bernard Cornwell. He doesn't write YA, though, but historical fiction

message 19: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments I read more adult fiction than YA, but I read enough YA to want to join this group. It's about 50/50 whether or not I like a YA book. I've hated a lot of popular books, like The Winner's Curse and Legend. But I love what I've read so far of Sarah J. Maas and adore Rainbow Rowell and John Green.

message 20: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments John Green is another author I actively avoid. I couldn't finish The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and I didn't really like An Abundance of Katherines by John Green . He's just too... Sappy for me.

I find I have moods. Sometimes all I want to read is YA fantasy, then I switch to adult contemporary... I mean, I read nearly every genre and age range, though I do avoid horror

message 21: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments Tati wrote: "John Green is another author I actively avoid. I couldn't finish The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and I didn't really like An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. He's just too... ..."

Yeah, I get what you mean. I read all the way across the board. If I hear the book's good, I'll pick it up no matter what it is.

message 22: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments I just make sure to keep my Kindle well stocked LOL That way, I can always find something to read

message 23: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7148 comments Abby wrote: "I agree, Tati. I'm more about the books than authors. Though I'll read anything Meg Cabot puts out, because she's my all-time favorite. Also, Stephen King."

I've read book 1 of the Mediator series and I really liked it. I really need to get to book 2 soon.

message 24: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments The Mediator has always been what I think is the best of Meg Cabot. Enjoy!

message 25: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7148 comments Tati wrote: "I got tired of her, to be honest. Her adding three more books to TMI was too much for me.

Hm, YA authors that I really enjoy are:

Jennifer L. Armentrout
Richelle Mead
Rachel Vincent
Kresley Cole ..."

I've read books by three of these authors. The other three are going on the list. I'm mostly uncocerned with who the authors as well. But there are a few that I'd read anything by.

Has anyone read Amy Harmon? I feel like not enough people know about her.

message 26: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments Morning, everyone!

So far, I have buddies for:

Spark (Elemental, #2) by Brigid Kemmerer Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas Royal Wedding (The Princess Diaries, #11) by Meg Cabot Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn Firewalker (Worldwalker, #2) by Josephine Angelini Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo The Deal (Off-Campus, #1) by Elle Kennedy

I also have these books, ready to go, if anyone here would like to read them:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Checking in!

message 28: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments Hello!

message 29: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 82873 comments Mod
Adding Adriana to your team ☺

message 30: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments Just added her to the team members :)

message 31: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments We keep growing! This is turning out to be a huge team challenge. :)

message 32: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 82873 comments Mod
Thanks Tati ☺

message 33: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments We do, Abby! There are so many teams!

message 34: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments Tati, want to buddy read Spinning Starlight? I have that from netgalley :)

message 35: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments Sure! When can you read it?

message 36: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments Does the 14th work for you??

message 37: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments Or how about the 8th?

message 38: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments I'd prefer the 14th, I'll be running around on the 8th, with packing and going to the airport, so I won't be on much that day

message 39: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments 14th it is :) Will you request/start the thread?

message 40: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments Sure!

message 42: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments If anyone sees anything else they'd be interested to read in my shelves, just let me know!

message 43: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments I'm hoping to read this book next month: The Vault of Dreamers (The Vault of Dreamers, #1) by Caragh M. O'Brien

Also, any books on my NetGalley shelf, I'm up for buddy reading :)

message 44: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments I've added you, so I can see your shelf

message 45: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments Melanie, just got my hands on The Vault of Dreamers!

message 46: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments Cool! Want to buddy read it?

message 47: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments Sure! 16th okay?

message 48: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 11915 comments Sounds good!

message 49: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments Great! I'll sort the thread!

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.