Start by marking “I'll Give You the Sun” as Want to Read:
I'll Give You the Sun

I'll Give You the Sun

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  267,204 ratings  ·  24,582 reviews
At first, Jude and her twin brother Noah, are inseparable. Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude wears red-red lipstick, cliff-dives, and does all the talking for both of them.

Years later, they are barely speaking. Something has happened to change the twins in different yet equally devastating ways... but the
Published September 16th 2014 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about I'll Give You the Sun, please sign up.
Kelly I teach Middle School. This book is in my classroom library right next to the John Green, David Levithan and others. Read it first and see chose for y…moreI teach Middle School. This book is in my classroom library right next to the John Green, David Levithan and others. Read it first and see chose for yourself. I have a number of students that can handle the topics addressed within. Additionally, the writing is beautiful - a wonder-full model for excellent writing. (less)
Margaret Mayo It alternates between Jude and Noah. It's vivid and passionate. Worth reading.…moreIt alternates between Jude and Noah. It's vivid and passionate. Worth reading.(less)

·  267,204 ratings  ·  24,582 reviews

Start your review of I'll Give You the Sun
Emily May
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book should be called I'll Give You Death by Artistic Metaphor. It seems like I'm in the minority on this one, but I did not like the writing style at all.

I guess it should be noted that I was also not a fan of the author's first novel - The Sky is Everywhere - which everyone but heartless little me seemed to love. Unlike many people I know, I picked this one up because the premise intrigued me and not because of a love for the author's previous work.

You may be thinking: this is a poetic no
jessica
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
'maybe some people are just meant to be in the same story.'

and maybe some people are just meant to love the same story over and over again. the colour and brightness this book continues to add to my life puts the sun to shame. every word is such a thing of radiant beauty, i know my soul is incapable of feeling anything other than joy when reading this. this book is true art at its finest.
________________________________

i try not to have any regrets in life, but i do regret that i read this
karen
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
"I love you," I say to him, only it comes out, "Hey."

"So damn much," he says back, only it comes out, "Dude."

i think this one was also a 3.5 for me. there were things i liked SO MUCH about it, and then there were things that bothered me a little. (and not just my fear of twins this time)

first to the good.

i enjoyed the unusual structure - the fact that it alternates between the voices of twins noah and jude where noah's story takes place when they are 13 and jude's takes place when they are 1
Christine Riccio
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH. IT MOVED ME SO MUCH IN SO MANY WAYS <3
Brian Yahn
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read in a long long time, I'll Give You the Sun, gave me the chills, gave me a heart attack, gave me everything I ever wanted from a love story.

(Self-portrait: boy in love with a book)

The narrators have such fun voices, the writing and use of artistic metaphors is beautiful, and the pacing is amazing. Pretty much everything about this book is perfect. It's essentially Gone Girl meets Romeo and Juliet. The characters connect so cohesively with their incredibly dark-twis
Warda
It’s reread no: 4 and I don’t know how this book still has the ability to make me feel the way I do right now. Like I believe anything is possible and magic is tangible. It’s healing. I can never seem to get enough of it. Slice of heaven of a book if there ever was one.

Original review
My heart. Words will fail me. This book did something to my soul. My heart exploded about a hundred times whilst reading it and I cannot express how much I loved it! How much I'll continue to love it. It was expr
emma
a high stakes* buddy read with lily

* because if i don't enjoy it i might finally lose my marbles once and for all

(those invested in my mental health will be delighted to know that this is still 5 stars. less delighted to know that it made me tear up and threatened to send me spiraling anyway, but you can't win them all.)

--------------------

I’LL GIVE THIS BOOK THE SUN. FIVE SUNS. More than that, if Goodreads had ever answered my impassioned plea to add a sixth star (which I sent by pony express a
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
5 Stars

Overview: Fourth Read:

This is my favorite book.

It’s a blanket statement—of course. Ask any bookworm their favorite book and we’ll either ask for more parameters (“What genre? Classics too? Of all time or this year?”) or rattle off four or five. While I’m certainly guilty of that, every time I answer I see this cover in my mind. This is my favorite book.

Sometimes I wish it was something else. Something akin to Joyce or Tolstoy, so I’d sound a little smarter. Or maybe something not class
Kai
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, owned, queer
“Maybe a person is just made up of a lot of people. Maybe we’re accumulating these new selves all the time. Hauling them in as we make choices, good and bad, as we screw up, step up, lose our minds, find our minds, fall apart, fall in love, as we grieve, grow, retreat from the world, dive into the world, as we make things, as we break things.”

This novel started out weird and confusing and colourful. It took me a while to adjust to the style of writing and a few pages in I finally started to und
NReads
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars

Okay, for starters I am so proud for finishing this book in the exam session.

Probably by now you all know what I'll Give You The Sun is about so I'll skip straight to my opinion on this book.

This is my second time trying to finish this book and I did succeed this time. The beginning was both times too boring for me. I did not care about the characters at all. The middle part was actually my favorite, and the last one was a good conclusion, but not that exciting.

What I love about this book
Samantha
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2016
This was the perfect book to finish on my birthday. I adored Jandy Nelson's first book, and didn't think I could love this one just as much! ...more
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Review originally posted at Mostly YA Lit

I don't think I can properly review this book without just throwing flails and gifs and barbaric yawps into the air. It's that lovely, that exquisite that any review I write will just pale in comparison to the writing in the book. That said...I want you to read this book, so I have to try.

P.S. I borrowed all the quote gifs from Penguin Teen, because who doesn't want to see more of that gorgeous cover?!

I'll Give You The Sun is probably th
Miranda Lynn
DNF after 116 pages.

I feel like I'm probably going to get shot for this, considering the (currently) 4.30 rating and plethora of rave reviews on Goodreads...but I honestly really did not like this book. I made it to page 116 before I had to give up because I just couldn't take it anymore. I kept hoping that it would get better or that I was missing something that would somehow finally click — but it never did. This book is just  not for me .

First of all, the chapters are so long. I don't think
Christy
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

photo C53618DA-D7F0-4A14-9ABC-4ECB27723174_zpsqrdzjqss.jpg

I’ll Give You the Sun is different than any other book I’ve read. The writing style (it was lyrical to me), the story line, that themes, the characters, they were all excellent. There were a few things that I didn’t love, but overall it was a memorable and brilliant story that deserves 5 stars. Also, I listened to the audio version of this one and the narration was fantastic.

Twins Jude and Noah are both artists. So is their mother. This story is written in dual POV, from past to pre
Liam
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
what a truly beautiful book!!

I CRIED ON PUBLIC TRANSPORT OVER HOW BEAUTIFUL THIS BOOK IS!

I got so emotionally invested in this book that I became hooked and fell completely in love with it!

When I first started reading it took a while to get into purely because of how unique the writing style is. But when you do get used to it you see just how amazingly well written this book is.

One of my favourite things was the way the story was told from different point of views from years apart! It kept me gr
Jessica
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Finished my first book for the BookTube-a-Thon!

This was definitely one of my favorites of the year.
I honestly love everything about it. The writing was so beautiful... The way it switched between young Noah and older Jude's perspectives. The love stories, the art. Literally everything. Read this book. It's so beautiful and now I just want to read every single thing by this author.
Katie
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
OH MY GOSH this book was so beautiful. It was a little bit of a slow start for me, but wow. I loved everything about it.
Romie
february 2021:
I was so scared I wouldn't love this book as much as I did the first time I read it, back in 2017. so scared. but I shouldn't have been. this book is everything. it still speaks to me, still makes me feel seen. what a masterpiece.

april 2017:
I think I’ve just read one of the most beautiful books ever written.

I had no idea how much I needed this book in my life, right now. But I’m so glad it found its way to me. I felt understood like this book knew who I was and had this sto
Charlotte May
"Can I have it?' This shocks me. She's never asked for a drawing before.
'For the sun, stars, oceans and all the trees, I'll consider it.'
'Okay. Trees, stars, oceans. Fine.'
'And the sun, Jude.'
'Oh all right. I'll give you the sun."

What a beautiful book. I feel like I'm slowly playing catch up on all these popular contemporaries I've missed because I didn't think they were for me. Oh how wrong I've been!

Jude and Noah broke into my heart and tore it to shreds. They are both so artistic and so ful
C.G. Drews
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I JUST WANT TO ART NOW. This book has inspired me so much I simply cannot contain the beautifulness of it. It definitely goes down as one of the most BEAUTIFULLY written books ever.

Although I did have a rocky start with it. I'm a pretty much black-and-white thinker...I'm creative (I write!) but sometimes when things get too metaphorical and lyrical and off-the-universe-imaginative...I LOSE IT. So the beginning of the book had me floundering. I found Noah's chapters really hard to grip onto with
Sophia
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
emotionally, this book deserves 13049820394234 stars.

when i take into account the rushedrushedrushed ending and the predictability, i feel like it deserves 4 stars.

so, 4.5 stars it is.

the characters are so alive, so well-developed, so flawed, and so beautiful. the story is gorgeous.

this book is a must-read.
Adam Silvera
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WOW x WOW = WOOOOOOOOOOOOW
Jiana
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me: *lies down on bed*
Me: *holds book close to heart*
Me: *curls up and whispers “this book” over and over again*

What a perfect book to start 2018 with.

I haven't written a complete review in over 3 months probably, simply because I wasn't feeling motivated enough. However, this book? This book's sheer awesomeness made me want to write a full one, because that's what it deserves! Ignore the fact that it'll be a crappy one; I can't write reviews anymore okay? Plus, I'm so in love with this book I c
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kainat by: Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
“This is what I want:

^^THIS FUCKING QUOTE IS MAKING
MY DAMN EYES WATERY AGAIN!

WOW! What a wonderfully written spectacular tale. Are there perfect words to delineate the way I feel about this? Absolutely not! It's been such a long time since I actually genuinely enjoyed a book this much. Any book can make you laugh, it's the ones that break your heart, I treasure. For months I hav
Tweebs♥️
“If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill”

nah man, that's easy for you to say.

I'm sitting here debating whether I should give up on writing this entire review and instead type: shfjdsfhdkjshskjghjsfhdsjf i rather live as an apple bye.

but no, i'm forcing myself to put some effort. I can't be a procrastinator forever.

Alright

if i was the president of a country, i would totally make everyone read this book. This book is absolute perfection and feels like a personal a
alexandra
this book is so complex, so poetic, so emotional, and so powerful. it's the kind of book i want to reread a million times, overanalyze, and cover the margins with notes. i felt every sentence's second meaning and it hit me really really hard. it made me feel SO MANY FEELINGS and i can't even pinpoint exactly why.

i'll admit the first few pages were a bit rough. the writing is very different from what i'm used to; everything is a metaphor and i wasn't sure if this was literally happening or if it
Theresa
I read "I'll Give You the Sun" when it was released back in 2014, and I still can't write a proper review for it. So I'll just keep it short and to the point. This little beauty right here is the BEST YA novel I've ever read (and I've read a lot of them). Jandy Nelson has the soul of a poet. Her prose/writing style is electric, emotional, and truly a gift from God. I cried so many times. I still think about all the wonderful/tragic things that happened to the twins, Noah and Jude. The characters ...more
Kristina Horner
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was beautiful. The ways in which everything intertwined, and the amount of growth the characters went through, and seeing this story through both Noah and Jude's eyes from different moments in time - it was just perfection. I don't even care that it all fit together TOO well, it was perfect and amazing and I loved it. ...more
Steph Sinclair
True facts: I almost DNF'd this book because of the writing style alone. There's just no other way to say this, but it was just so damn purple. Some of it was really nice, like so:
“This is what I want: I want to grab my brother’s hand and run back through time, losing years like coats falling from our shoulders.”

Other times I felt like I was stuck in paintball war of words:
“My heart leaves, hitchhikes right out of my body, heads north, catches a ferry across the Bering Sea and plants itself in S
Kassidy
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this is truly a powerful story!

*4.5*

Video Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sr3L...

• Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante, #1)
  • All the Bright Places
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Simonverse, #1)
  • They Both Die at the End
  • Eleanor & Park
  • Will Grayson, Will Grayson
  • Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • Fangirl
  • The Sun Is Also a Star
  • Everything, Everything
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • We Were Liars
  • The Art Book
  • Paper Towns
  • Call Me By Your Name (Call Me By Your Name, #1)
  • Looking for Alaska
  • Holding Up the Universe
  • History Is All You Left Me
Jandy Nelson, like her characters in I’ll Give You the Sun and The Sky is Everywhere, comes from a superstitious lot. She was tutored from a young age in the art of the four-leaf clover hunt; she knocks wood, throws salt, and carries charms in her pockets. Her critically-acclaimed, New York Times bestselling second novel, I’ll Give You the Sun, received the prestigious Printz Award, Bank Street's ...more

Articles featuring this book

Whether it’s magic schools, dystopias, paranormal love stories, or contemporary explorations of important real-life issues, young adult books...
“Maybe some people are just meant to be in the same story.” 2646 likes
“Meeting your soul mate is like walking into a house you've been in before - you will recognize the furniture, the pictures on the wall, the books on the shelves, the contents of drawers: You could find your way around in the dark if you had to.” 1562 likes