The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2015 September Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments With the Hugo Awards only being a couple weeks past, this month’s challenge is to read something either science fiction or fantasy.

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 884 comments Oh goodie, one that fits in with what I'm reading anyway! I just started The Castle of Llyr by Lloyd Alexander, the third book in the Prydain Chronicles. I'm reading the series because the fifth book, The High King, is a Newbery Medal winner.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
Debbie wrote: "Oh goodie, one that fits in with what I'm reading anyway! I just started The Castle of Llyr by Lloyd Alexander, the third book in the Prydain Chronicles. I'm reading the series because..."

Debbie- that's one of those series I wish I could read again for the first time!

I finally got around to reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi, and it was a lot of fun. So now I've started the second book in the series, The Ghost Brigades, and so far so good!

Seriously, though- I'd be happy to have my consciousness transferred into a genetically improved warrior body. Just saying.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky | 273 comments Yes--one of my favorite genres! I've been waiting to read Armada which will be perfect for this challenge.

message 5: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments this is probably one of my least favorite genre's, I will have to see if I have anything that fits. recommendation would be accepted.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky | 273 comments Carolyn wrote: "this is probably one of my least favorite genre's, I will have to see if I have anything that fits. recommendation would be accepted."

Carolyn, what kinds of books do you like? If you like '80's pop culture, Ready Player One is really fun. If you like a good story, I suggest Daughter of the Forest.

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 884 comments Carolyn wrote: "this is probably one of my least favorite genre's, I will have to see if I have anything that fits. recommendation would be accepted."

One book you might like that counts, in my view, as fantasy is Sector 7 by David Wiesner. I took a look at your bookshelf and it is on your list. So, there ya go! Also consider that vampire books are a subset of fantasy. So any of those would count, too.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 364 comments Carolyn wrote: "this is probably one of my least favorite genre's, I will have to see if I have anything that fits. recommendation would be accepted."

Bellwether by Connie Willis is HILARIOUS and light on the sci-fi/fantasy.

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments Thanks for all the ideas! I think I will go with Sector 7 and because it is so short and I have The Peculiar and it fits that category, I will go with it. And then because it sounds good I will try Daughter of the Forest. Thanks! I will look at the others and see if any of those should go on my to read list.

message 10: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments Just looked up what category the maze runner trilogy fell under and low and behold, it fits and I am currently reading the Scorch Trials followed by The Kill Order. Surprise!

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 884 comments Carolyn wrote: "Just looked up what category the maze runner trilogy fell under and low and behold, it fits and I am currently reading the Scorch Trials followed by The Kill Order. Surprise!"

I just finished the Maze Runner series. I recommend reading The Kill Order last, so The Death Code would be next. While The Kill Order is a prequel, it is not a tight prequel, i.e. not right before the Maze Runner. It deals with the time of the actual solar flares. So the characters you are reading about are not in it. Just my 2 cents.

message 12: by Donna (new)

Donna | 72 comments I'm excited about this month's challenge. I have really come to love Sci-fi. There are so many really great books in that genre. I'm not a fan of fantasy, but I have also come across some really well written books in that genre as well.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Oh goodie, one that fits in with what I'm reading anyway! I just started The Castle of Llyr by Lloyd Alexander, the third book in the Prydain Chronicles. I'm reading the..."

And on to The Last Colony!

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky | 273 comments Finished Armada, which was a fun, adventurous read that would appeal to gamers. I also read Nimona, a fantasy type graphic novel.

Becky wrote: "Yes--one of my favorite genres! I've been waiting to read Armada which will be perfect for this challenge."

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments I read Dead Zone. Enjoyed it.

message 16: by Greg (last edited Sep 22, 2015 04:28AM) (new)

Greg (danceyeah) | 159 comments I read Master of Formalities by Scott Meyer. I also read Earth Awakens and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

I'm also currently reading Avalon by Mindee Arnett, Visions of Tomorrow by Thomas A. Easton and Judith K. Dial, and Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card.

But then, scifi is a big genre for me.

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 884 comments I finished Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein.

I'm currently reading Dragonsdawn by Anne McCaffrey. Some may say the DragonRiders of Pern series is Fantasy, but this book, the story of the first colonists to Pern, is definitely Sci-Fi.

message 18: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 0 comments I just read Fairest by Marissa Meyer. Not my favorite. I think I'll try some of the other titles that people here have shared!

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda | 157 comments I don't normally read these genres, but I read Extraordinary* the true story of my fairy godparent...
It was OK.

message 20: by Britt, Book Habitue (last edited Sep 14, 2015 05:03PM) (new)

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 364 comments A suggestion for those who struggle with this genre-- The Lemoncholy Life of Annie Aster. It's a fun story with great characters and a good mystery. The time-travel element gives it a sci-fi twist. :)

message 21: by Ssawyer (new)

Ssawyer | 14 comments For this challenge I read The Crown Towerand The Rose and the Thorn by Michael J. Sullivan. I highly recommend all of the Riyria books - great read if you're looking for something new in Fantasy.

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments I'm finishing up The Fourteenth Goldfish for this challenge. It's perhaps the lightest science fiction that I've run into in a long time. It's hilarious! Just imagine a grumpy 76 year old scientist who's now in the body of a 13 year old boy, told from the perspective of his 11 year old granddaughter that he's had to come live with because he's a minor.

message 23: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 884 comments Ann wrote: "I'm finishing up The Fourteenth Goldfish for this challenge. It's perhaps the lightest science fiction that I've run into in a long time. It's hilarious! Just imagine a grumpy 76 ye..."

I've just added this high up in my reading queue! Thanks.

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments I am going with "The 21 Balloons". Hopefully it fits in this genre. I read the word "fantasy" on the jacket, so in my head it qualifies. :)

message 25: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I read Sector 7, or maybe imagined it as I read the pictures. I finished the Peculiar which was steampunk fantasy and I just finished The Death Cure- sci-fi/fantasy. Now onto the Whatnot and the Kill Order.

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky | 273 comments I finished Speak by Louisa Hall, which was a desolate and lonely book about artificial intelligence in the relatively near future.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 364 comments I just finished Daring, sequel to Charming which was a Reader's Choice last round. Lots of language, worse than the first I think, which I don't love, but it was a fun story.

message 28: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn (jladybug) | 106 comments I just finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It's not science fiction or fantasy, but a non fiction biography revealing the woman whose cells science was able to use in fantastic ways no scientist could have predicted in 1951, when these cells were originally collected.

Since reality is sometimes stranger than fiction and the themes explored in this book are commonly found in science fiction, this book is appropriate for the September Challenge. The reader is left to ponder the ethics surrounding cellular research, which are disturbing and attempt to find balance with the tremendous gains to medicine to date and into the future.

message 29: by Ann (last edited Sep 21, 2015 09:56AM) (new)

Ann | 273 comments In case anyone is still looking for a book for the challenge both Station Eleven and The Paper Magician from the current Reader's Choice would work for this months challenge.

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 52 comments Ann wrote: "In case anyone is still looking for a book for the challenge both Station Eleven and The Paper Magician from the current Reader's Choice would work for this months c..."

And I'll add my recommendation for both of those!

message 31: by Alyson (new)

Alyson | 86 comments I just finished William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return, by Ian Doescher. I honor the mind that conceived such a trilogy!

message 32: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Finished "Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures". Definitely a fantasy, with a Super Hero squirrel as a main character. :)

message 33: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 109 comments Not sure whether I will finish by the end of September, but I am working on J Scott Savage's new book: the first volume in his "Mysteries of Cove" series. It is good so far.

message 34: by Becky (new)

Becky | 273 comments My last pick is Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, which I may not finish in time but is hilarious!

message 35: by Donna (new)

Donna | 72 comments I read quite a few of these this month. I was going to pick my favorites as my entry, but I liked most of them. Only one made it on my 1-star list. With that being said, only one made it on my 5-star list as well. The rest fell in the middle.

Fatal Tide: Fantasy
The House on the Strand: Sci-fi
Inherit the Stars: Sci-fi
Heir to the Jedi: Sci-fi
Working Stiff: Sci-fi & Fantasy ---this was a fun one
Rooms:Fantasy
Half a King:Fantasy ----another fun one
Pines: Sci-fi ----by far my LEAST favorite
The Sugar Queen:Fantasy
Fuzzy Nation: Sci-fi ----my Favorite one
The Humans: Sci-fi
Fool Moon: Fantasy
Storm Front: Fantasy
Red Queen: Sci-fi & Fantasy ---another fun one

message 36: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 884 comments I finished listening to Dragonsdawn (Sci-Fi & Fantasy) by Anne McCaffrey and reading The Castle of Llyr, third of the Prydain Chronicles (Fantasy) by Lloyd Alexander.

message 37: by Donna (new)

Donna | 72 comments I read three more:

These Broken Stars --fun YA sci-fi
Red Rising --also a fun YA sci-fi book
The Gentle Giants of Ganymede

message 38: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Jenny is our prize drawing winner for the September reading challenge. She read Dead Zone.

message 39: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 884 comments Congrats, Jenny!

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments YAY, JENNY!!! Good for you!

message 41: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments Thanks! I enjoy these challenges and I am excited to pick up my prize.

message 42: by Becky (new)

Becky | 273 comments Britt, Book Habitue wrote: "A suggestion for those who struggle with this genre-- The Lemoncholy Life of Annie Aster. It's a fun story with great characters and a good mystery. The time-travel element gives it a sci-fi twist. :)"

Britt, thanks for recommending this book. I finally read it and loved it! Sooo good!!

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 364 comments Becky wrote: "Britt, Book Habitue wrote: "A suggestion for those who struggle with this genre-- The Lemoncholy Life of Annie Aster. It's a fun story with great characters and a good mystery. The time-travel elem..."

Wasn't it FUN?! Glad you enjoyed it. :D