The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > what are you listening to?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kdawg91 (new)

Kdawg91 | 377 comments I really need new content for my twitter "radio station" what are you guys jamming to these days?
genre matters not! I play whatever I feel.

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4190 comments I'm really digging Lindsey Stirling's stuff. She's got a relatively new album out that I like but her older one is good too. One of my main work playlists is Offsping + Rise Against + Fall Out Boy. And I love the Les Mis Broadway ensemble "soundtrack" and Jurassic Park soundtrack and the Zelda album that came with the Zelda 25th anniversary game (Skyward Sword??). And the soundtrack to the web show RWBY is mellow for working too. That's on my recently played list.

Every now and then I like to ask people to put their music player on random shuffle and share the first 10 songs that play. It's usually a fun way to get music suggestions.

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Walk Off the Earth - Sing It All Away
Andy Grammer - Magazines or Novels
Two Steps from Hell - Battlecry
Ant-Man Soundtrack
Mad Max: Fury Road Soundtrack

message 4: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 25, 2015 07:25AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments 1960's animated Spiderman cartoon music (season one). Jazzy stuff by Ray Ellis: http://www.oshannonland.com/spider-ma...

message 5: by Ty (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 165 comments I tend to listen to a lot of Foo Fighters, Fall Out Boy or my personal favorite, The Killers. The other thing I listen to a lot of is film scores. Today I got out an old favorite, The Last of the Mohicans. Probably my favorite score ever.

message 6: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments I tend to listen to stuff that I can read to. The American Dollar and Hammock gets a lot of play along with the Mass Effect, Skyrim, and Morrowind soundtracks

message 7: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 25, 2015 01:09PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments God, I love these multi effect guitar pedal mini songs. Are there albums like this? It's easier to play if you're logged into dropbox. "Gnx4" is a favorite.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/savd78ogbl...

message 8: by Kdawg91 (new)

Kdawg91 | 377 comments I reckon I will have to do a soundtrack set one or two days, I try not to play the same stuff, but it gets hard after a while

message 10: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Kdawg91 wrote: "I reckon I will have to do a soundtrack set one or two days, I try not to play the same stuff, but it gets hard after a while"

Movie scores are in heavy rotation for me. They're great background music.

My favorites of the past few years have been (links to YouTube):

How To Train Your Dragon -- I haven't stopped listening to this since the movie came out. Probably my favorite of the last ten years.

Captain America: The First Avenger.

Iron Man 3 Titles ("Can You Dig It?") - Has the same vibe as The Incredibles.

Oh yeah, The Incredibles. :D You pretty much can't go wrong with most of Michael Giacchino's scores. His music was the best thing about Tomorrowland. Same with Jupiter Ascending. See also Inside Out. (He's been busy this year.) Added bonus: he has the best names for the individual pieces of anyone ever.

Unfortunately YouTube doesn't seem to have the soundtrack for The Informant, which is a brilliant mix from the late, great Marvin Hamlisch. He does a pseudo-James Bond theme, a pseudo-Attention Shoppers, all kinds of great stuff. Highly recommended.

Cowboy Bebop. The theme song alone ("Tank!") is worth buying the album for.

Often times a bad movie has a terrific soundtrack. Case in point, Treasure Planet. Great adventure-type music.

Speaking of adventurish scores, Spirit: Stallion of Cimarron by Hans Zimmer is very un-Zimmer-like.

Another Western, Bruce Broughton's score for Silverado mixes traditional Western themes with John Williams-style marches.

If you want a little "sturm und drang" in your soundtrack, give Planetary Annihilation a spin. I don't even know how I found this, but I'm glad I did.

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1152 comments I tend to lean towards the 70's with people like Todd Rundgren, Alan Parsons and Steely Dan but also do some jazz with Bobby McFerrin, Diana Krall and Pat Metheny.
The last CD I listened to was The Shouting Stage by Joan Armatrading.

message 12: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 632 comments I literally listen to everything. Whether using Amarok on my computer or Google Music on my phone, I just put it on random and let it go. I have evertyhing from 1930s music to DooWop to Electronica to country to rap...you get the idea.

The newest stuff I've been listening to is:

-Paul and Storm. (which makes me laugh)
-Reggie Watts (also makes me laught)
-Also listening to the precursors to modern Cuban music like: Danzas, Contradanzas, and Danzones. The funny thing is that these (at least the first two) are adaptations of European styles from the 1800s (if I'm not mistaken), but people were scandalized at the idea of men and women dancing together. Hehehehe

message 14: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 111 comments Ritual - The Black Dahlia Murder
Earthshaker - Clutch
Soundtrack to Star Wars Episode 4:A New Hope - John Williams

message 15: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 26, 2015 07:29AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments Steve Morse - unnamed 8 1/2 minute live solo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-CC2... (It picks up around 5:30)

message 16: by David (new)

David (dbigwood) Two Star Symphony. Beatles. Gershwin. The Dead. Ting Tings. Piazzolla. Avril. Claude Bolling. Marcia Ball. Depends on my mood. Oh, and a bit of the Beach Boys & Jan and Dean, for the beach/summer.

message 17: by Misti (new)

Misti (spookster5) | 488 comments I've been listening to Wolf Alice's "My Love Is Cool" a lot. I love the Discover Weekly list on Spotify. That's how I found this album.

message 18: by Kdawg91 (new)

Kdawg91 | 377 comments Steve Morse is awesome

message 19: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments Yes.

message 20: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4190 comments Kdawg91 wrote: "I reckon I will have to do a soundtrack set one or two days, I try not to play the same stuff, but it gets hard after a while"

I have a "smart playlist" in iTunes where it only plays music that hasn't been played in the last x (x=60 for me) days. It's been wonderful for making my collection feel fresh.

message 21: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2502 comments terpkristin wrote: "Kdawg91 wrote: "I reckon I will have to do a soundtrack set one or two days, I try not to play the same stuff, but it gets hard after a while"

I have a "smart playlist" in iTunes where it only pl..."

Wow, first time I have heard 'smart' and 'iTunes' in the same sentence :)

message 22: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2296 comments AndrewP wrote: "terpkristin wrote: "Wow, first time I have heard 'smart' and 'iTunes' in the same sentence :)"

I use it because I have an iPhone and used to use iPods, but the last few versions seem to have mostly taken the features I liked about it and made them worse.

Also, Garmarna

message 23: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments Listening to Jon Catler's 12 tone plus guitar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2euk...

message 24: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4078 comments For me it's usually silence, although I will tend to put on Pink Floyd when I want some music. Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here are faves.

message 25: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2502 comments A selection of environmental relaxation soundtracks. Seashore, forest, jungle, thunderstorm etc. Amazon has a good selection of hour long ones for $0.99

message 27: by David (new)

David (dbigwood) Currently listening to The Empire Strikes Back, the NPR radio drama.