What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA book where a boy is in an motorcycle accident at the end of the story, because his friend on the bike doesn't tell him how to ride/lean properly. Adults have low expectations of the boy. [Spoiler ahead...] [s]

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M (new)

M (buffetoflies) | 126 comments The motorbike thread a ways down the page made me remember this.

there were two main characters I think it was boy/girl but might have been boy/boy. The boy is not considered to amount to anything by the adults. The boy dies when him and his friend are going somewhere that I can't remember. The motorcycle accident happens because the boy doesn't tell his friend about how to lean and the bike goes wobbly and wipes out. At first it seems like the boy is fine but he gets worse suddenly and dies. The friend thinks everyone is wrong and knows that the boy is smart, just not book smart. I don't think the two are super good friends or anything. just in the same class and they end up spending time with each other because of events at the beginning that i can't remember.

The bike accident was a the end.. I don't remember the rest of the book. The motorbike thread a ways down the page made me remember. Pretty sure it isn't part of another book already on my shelf.

Read before 2010 but after 2005. Was probably contemporary young adult fiction.

message 2: by M (new)

M (buffetoflies) | 126 comments bump
thinking more i actually think i read this after 2010. more like 2011-2013.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37564 comments Mod
Maybe check this list.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 4: by M (new)

M (buffetoflies) | 126 comments ^^ not on there :(

i wish i could remember what the first part of it was about.

message 5: by M (new)

M (buffetoflies) | 126 comments i have hope for this one!

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4844 comments Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?
Time period/location story takes place?

message 7: by M (new)

M (buffetoflies) | 126 comments No, I don't remember the cover. I 'judge' books by them, and I must have thought it was 'good' because I checked it out! If it was part of a series it would have been the first book. It was a 'present day' sort of thing. I was reading it and felt like the characters could have been classmates.

I remember the two being in the same middle/hs class.. maybe homeroom at the beginning of the day. I remember that the girl was considered a good student and someone that had a bright future, then the boy was the opposite. I don't think the girl was ashamed or embarrassed by spending time with the boy. I remember her thinking he maybe wasn't book smart, but he wasn't the type of person everyone else considered him to be.

I just don't remember what the main story line was.

message 8: by M (new)

M (buffetoflies) | 126 comments had a thought that the boy who dies in this could have had the name of "robbie" which doesn't really help when trying to search...

message 9: by M (new)

message 10: by M (new)

M (buffetoflies) | 126 comments ^^^

message 11: by M (new)

M (buffetoflies) | 126 comments ^^^^

message 12: by Electric (new)

Electric Bubbles (electricbubbles) | 57 comments Here's another list you might check.
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...
I'm sure I've never read a book similar to your description, but I hope you find it!

Strawberri Mystery (strawberrimystery) | 18 comments Maybe The Accident by Todd Strasser?https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

message 14: by M (new)

M (buffetoflies) | 126 comments I've read a lot of Todd Strasser, but I haven't read that book. This book didn't have anything to do with skiing.

This is the one that bugs me the most, not being able to remember. It's been on the tip of my tongue for months...

message 15: by M (new)

M (buffetoflies) | 126 comments No, haven't found it yet.

message 16: by M (new)

message 17: by M (new)

message 18: by M (new)

M (buffetoflies) | 126 comments Yes! I do think so. The plot does not seem familiar at all, but I've read through some of teh reviews, and someone has told the 'tragic ending' which sounds right. Going to re read this one.

Thanks for coming back and sharing your find :)

message 19: by Kris (last edited Sep 12, 2016 08:17AM) (new)

Kris | 32231 comments Mod
The Crimes and Punishments of Miss Payne by Barry Jonsberg - Miki's find

Edited the topic header to remove the spoiler (the main character dies).

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Crimes and Punishments of Miss Payne (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Barry Jonsberg (other topics)