The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
HBC READATHONS 2018 - ON HOLD > READATHON - BREAK TWO - AUGUST 22ND

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 44200 comments Mod
Tell us a little bit about the book you are reading now and anything that surprised you, that you did not know before or has gotten you thinking about a new subject. Or just something about the book you are enjoying.

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 09:27AM) (new)

I am reading The Republic by Plato - and I am enjoying right now the discourse on Justice which is part of Book One. It is interesting how Plato turns the idea of justice on its end and thoroughly dissects the notion of justice and what justice means and/or should/could mean.

The Republic by Plato by Plato Plato

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  | 180 comments I am currently reading A Spool of Blue Thread for a local book club. Not normally the kind of book I would be attracted too but that is the charm of book clubs, they widen your reading horizons. Anyway (view spoiler)

A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler by Anne Tyler Anne Tyler

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 09:54AM) (new)

Glad you are enjoying the book Kathy - always good to hear how vistas change with interaction on goodreads.

I look forward to your discoveries (smile)

message 5: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) I am currently reading Isaac's Storm about the hurricane in the year 1900 that devastated Galveston, TX. I recently took a short vacation to Galveston and will go back again, since it's a few short hours from my home. I love to read local histories and Larson's writing is superb. He writes a true story that reads like a novel.

Isaac's Storm A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History by Erik Larson by Erik Larson Erik Larson

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

That should be a very interesting book - that sounds very good and he uses a lot of primary sources.

message 7: by Chris (last edited Aug 22, 2015 10:30AM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 89 comments I'm currently reading The English Spy (Gabriel Allon, #15) by Daniel Silva by Daniel Silva Daniel Silva and just as the title suggests, it's an espionage thriller. It's the latest in the Gabriel Allon series. Two beat up old spies going after the killer of a 'former English princess', when the plot starts to get complicated. I'm not sure it's terribly meaningful, but it's a fun read.

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

That author keeps you guessing Chris - glad you are enjoying your thriller. They are always fun

message 9: by Samanta (last edited Aug 22, 2015 10:39AM) (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Currently reading Shadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye. The story is set in 19th century India under the British Raj. Its a historical fiction with a romance story but Kaye wraps it up with a lot of description of the country, it's people and the political climate of the period.

Shadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye by M.M. Kaye M.M. Kaye

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

India - great - you can count this book for your Indian challenge as well as the Readathon. Historical fiction is good and a lot of fun.

message 11: by Samanta (last edited Aug 22, 2015 10:50AM) (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) I need to find The Raj Quartet. I read somewhere that Scott and Kaye were good friends.

The Raj Quartet by Paul Scott by Paul Scott Paul Scott

message 12: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

It is a great great quartet - although he wrote a fifth book - Read the whole thing and enjoyed it tremendously. Jill has led the discussion so far on the books and there is a great folder on the discussions of all of the books so far - we are heading into the last one which actually is the fifth book.

message 13: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Good to know, but first I have to get my hands on it. No easy task in Croatia. :(

message 14: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I can imagine - try Amazon - I know they have it and used copies too

message 15: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Will do! Lately I've been finding books I can't find in Croatia, for a bargain on Amazon.

message 16: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Amazon is good for overseas and mostly any part of the world and they ship anywhere - and I mean anywhere.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.