Grimdark Fantasy discussion

Recommendations > Call to arms: Group read recommendation thread

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silvana (last edited Aug 21, 2015 08:00PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I thought we could have a thread to gauge the interest for members to read certain grimdark books at the same time and make it a group read. Did this with a few groups as well.

So, let me start. These are the books I plan to read and need reading buddies:
- The Emperor's Blade (Brian Staveley)
- The God's War (Kameron Hurley) - well, okay, this is actually scifi. But it's grimdark!
- The City Stained Red (Sam Sykes)

Anyone up for one of those? I usually gather at least three to four really committed potential readers before starting a thread.

message 2: by Brittany (last edited Aug 21, 2015 09:50PM) (new)

Brittany | 552 comments Mod
These all seem interesting and if I had to pick one I'd maybe go with The Emperor's blade b/c it is also on my to read!
In the past we have also mentioned:
Low Town -Daniel Polansky
The Warrior Prophet -Prince of Nothing series by Scott Bakker
Blood Song- Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow series
I am also wanting to read any of the Joe Abercrombie's stand alone books but I think everyone has read those!

message 3: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Your suggestions are also interesting. Let's see if we could gather more reading buddies.

And I am up for a re-read of Best Served Cold.

message 4: by Chompa, Founding Father (new)

Chompa | 477 comments Mod
All of these authors mentioned so far and the majority of the books have been on my to read list. Low Town and The God's War are probably the most appealing to me even though neither are technically "fantasy". I agree with Silvana that Grimdark is more important than Fantasy in the selections.

message 5: by Brittany (new)

It has been awhile since I have done scifi so I was reluctant at first, but I just looked up The God's War and it seems pretty interesting. If it is grimdark I'm in. The fact that we have all come up with some things gets me excited for future reads as well!

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 105 comments Mod
I'd love to try anything new, with the proviso that it's well written and not young adult. (There are a lot of great young adult books, but I like my grimdark all grown up.)

message 7: by Brittany (new)

I agree with you there

message 8: by Pavle (new)

Pavle (pavleramah) I'm all for Promise of Blood.
Unfortunately, since I live in a third world country, we don't have a lot of translated fantasy books, at least not grimdark(only Abercrombie, Martin and a few others over here) so I have to buy the books through BookDepo or Amazon and that takes a while.
BUT, PoB is currently incoming so if anyone is interested in discussing/reading together, hit me up.

message 9: by JuJu (new)

JuJu | 5 comments I'm currently reading Blood Song and I really like it so far (:
the others all sound interesting (:

message 10: by Silvana (last edited Aug 22, 2015 09:57PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Let me try to recap:
- The Emperor's Blades (Brian Staveley) - 2
- God's War (Kameron Hurley) - 3
- The City Stained Red (Sam Sykes) - 1
- Low Town (Daniel Polansky) - 2
- Blood Song (Anthony Ryan) - 2
- The Warrior Prophet (R. Scott Bakker) - 1
- Best Served Cold (Joe Abercrombie) - 2
- Promise of Blood (Brian McClellan) - 1
CMIIW
I will second another book but still thinking about it....that Promise of Blood looks promising though...

Let's see the result until the end of this month, then we can start a group read in September :)

message 11: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Tracey the Lizard Queen | 573 comments Mod
I'm up for The City Stained Red. Will we be having a poll near the end of the month?

message 12: by Kieron (new)

Kieron I would go with Low Town or Blood Song personally, as they are both finished series. I don't want to start a series and then be waiting a year for the next book. Thats just me though, I would be happy to vote and see what happens.

message 13: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Tracey (Queen of Blades) wrote: "I'm up for The City Stained Red. Will we be having a poll near the end of the month?"

That's an option, like what they do in the scifi and fantasy group. Maybe top three?

message 14: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Three sounds good as we are still quite a small group, we can always add more as the group grows.

message 15: by Chompa, Founding Father (new)

I like the idea of the poll. I also share Kieron's sentiment. How many unfinished series can I possibly start? The answer seems to be a shit-load.

message 16: by Deborah (new)

Should we give it til the 31st for nominations and throw the poll up that night?

I can set that up if you want and no one wants to do it.

message 17: by Brittany (last edited Aug 23, 2015 07:58AM) (new)

I agree with polls. Start a group reads folder and add polls to it. We can also send out an email to notify people of the upcoming vote so everyone gets a chance, if that isn't going overboard. This is good timing too with September a week away. Gives people plenty of time to pick!

message 18: by Brittany (new)

Or a monthly reader poll section. Whatever isn't most confusing or jumbled.

message 19: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Deborah wrote: "Should we give it til the 31st for nominations and throw the poll up that night?

I can set that up if you want and no one wants to do it."

Maybe a little earlier than the 31st, perhaps the 25th, we want the poll up for a few days to ensure everyone gets a chance to vote. Then begin the new read on the 1st.

message 20: by Brittany (new)

This is great! getting all the kinks worked out before we put it in motion :)

message 21: by Kieron (new)

Kieron I would like to throw Prince Of Thorns into the mix, although I realise I may be the only person on here who is yet to read this. Looking forward to the vote and seeing what comes out on top.

message 22: by Brittany (new)

I am ALWAYS down for a re-read of Mark Lawrence! I would do Prince of Thorns. He also has a new series out- The Red Queen's War Prince of Fools and the 3rd installation is due to come out in 2016 so it's almost finished for the series.

message 23: by pisang (new)

pisang - Florian | 66 comments I also want to start with the prince of thorns. But most of the people already read the series.

message 24: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery Shea | 17 comments I would like to read Prince of Thorns as well.

message 25: by Silvana (last edited Aug 24, 2015 06:22PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) - The Emperor's Blades (Brian Staveley) - 2
- God's War (Kameron Hurley) - 3
- The City Stained Red (Sam Sykes) - 2
- Low Town (Daniel Polansky) - 2
- Blood Song (Anthony Ryan) - 2
- The Warrior Prophet (R. Scott Bakker) - 1
- Best Served Cold (Joe Abercrombie) - 2
- Promise of Blood (Brian McClellan) - 1
- Prince of Thorns (Mark Lawrence) - 4
- Prince of Fools (Mark Lawrence) - 2 (you know what, I'll give this guy another chance)

Let's wait for the top three.

message 26: by Brittany (new)

Silvana if Prince of Thorns wasn't for you Prince of Fools is much different. Still strong writing with much more humor! Prince Jalan is nothing like Jorg and if he's ever heroic it's by complete accident haha

message 27: by Deborah (new)

Lots of suggestions. I'm shooting for tonight to post the poll. I'm sure we'll do this again, so if you think of more suggestions after the poll goes up hold on them for next time.

message 28: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Thanks Deborah!!

message 29: by Brittany (new)

Can I vote for more than one?! Ahhhhh! So much on my to read list! J/k I can wait... but seriously... can I? Just kidding... maybe

message 30: by Mel (new)

Mel | 88 comments Only one vote? Well in that case you might listen through my rant.

I would read Best Served Cold again. It's an awesome book. Joe can do no wrong. Only he can, because Half a World is half as good as Half a King and I can't seem to finish it. I just can't with teenager protagonists any more. Kvothe is giving me a hard time as is.

I wouldn't reread Prince of Thorns, thought it's the best book in the trilogy. For reasons unknown, I must be the only one who can't get into Mark Lawrence. I did like Prince of Fools more. Probably because it's a more linear narration.

Emperor's Blades is good, the Blood Song less so.

So, by process of elimination, I would vote for the Promise of Blood. Or The City Stained Red, if it has more votes to be chosen. Just not Mark Lawrence again :-)

message 31: by Deborah (new)

My favorite of the three was King of Thorns. Unlike some, I'm a huge Lawrence fan.

message 32: by Chompa, Founding Father (new)

Thanks putting up the poll, Deborah! Nice work.

message 33: by Brittany (new)

Nice!

message 34: by Silvana (last edited Aug 26, 2015 06:12AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Melina, wow, I also don't want to reread Prince of Thorns. And I am not impressed with Half the World. But you might want to give Kingkiller Chronicles a second chance, I think Kvothe gets better in Wise Men's Fear.

As for the poll, I changed my vote three times already. I might change it again. Too many options, I thought we only going to pick the top three for the polls haha

message 35: by Chompa, Founding Father (new)

I'd be up for rereading Best Served Cold as that is leading last I checked.

I love having a lot of options. The only danger seems to be when we don't get many voters, but that has not been an issue so far.

message 36: by Deborah (new)

Should we try a blind poll next time, where we can't see the votes till after?

message 37: by Chompa, Founding Father (new)

Hmm... interesting thought. I'm not sure it is needed, but let's see what others say.

message 38: by Brittany (last edited Aug 26, 2015 07:27AM) (new)

I went back and forth with looking. I eventually looked so that one I really wanted got a better chance! For some they don't want that to influence their decision.

message 39: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I like it not blind actually. So I can change my vote for the book I want that is most likely to win.

If I BSC wins, I'd be thrilled too. I miss Cosca.

message 40: by Kieron (new)

Kieron Currently reading Best Served Cold, so I haven't voted for it. Although it would be a worthy winner of the 1st poll and is definitely grimdark.

message 41: by Mel (new)

Mel | 88 comments Silvana wrote: "Melina, wow, I also don't want to reread Prince of Thorns. And I am not impressed with Half the World. But you might want to give Kingkiller Chronicles a second chance, I think Kvothe gets better i..."

Silvana, I am actually ~65% in Wise Man's Fear currently. I think I have read 5 books while I struggle with the guy :-) He is really good when you get into it, but some times, it is too long-winded. I was so happy when he left the university, even if it is a temporary relief. That first half of the book was identical to the first one. I liked the mercenaries plot. Too bad it was so short and the fay part so long (and unnecessary). And I want Denna to die. That's it. It just felt good to get this off my chest :-)

message 42: by pisang (new)

pisang - Florian | 66 comments Haha i also stopped at 65%. I am very dissapointed when everyone is praising the book and i can't get through it. Is it really really worth to finish wise man's fear?

message 43: by Kieron (new)

Kieron Did Prince Of Thorns win? When are we starting the groupread? I should be ready to start tomorrow.

message 44: by Chris, kingtermite (new)

Chris (kingtermite) | 468 comments Mod
Kieron wrote: "Did Prince Of Thorns win? When are we starting the groupread? I should be ready to start tomorrow."

According to the poll, it looks like it won.

I guess somebody needs to say "Go!".

"Go!"

message 45: by Terrica (new)

Terrica Duncan (myjoyandlight) | 10 comments Brittany wrote: "These all seem interesting and if I had to pick one I'd maybe go with The Emperor's blade b/c it is also on my to read!
In the past we have also mentioned:
Low Town -Daniel Polansky..."

Hello, Brittany

I am up for reading Joe Abercrombie. I haven't read any of his novels. I'll go buy one of his books tomorrow. Which one are you interested in reading first?

Also, I am currently reading Blood Song, and I am waiting for it to ramp up. I am currently on page 254. There's more to this story, right?

message 46: by Brittany (new)

I have not read Blood Song ywt. I want to but it seems hit or miss with most readers thst have mentioned it here. I have not read any of Abercrombie's stand alone books yet. That will be next for me. I did read his First Law trilogy and it was very good but got redundant sometimes, probably more so because I binge read the series. The current group read is Prince Of Thorns by Mark Lawrence which is pretty heavy grimdark in my opinion. I love it.