The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
HBC READATHONS 2018 - ON HOLD > FIVE - 2015 - Readathon Four Date: August 22, 2015 - Midnight - 4AM (August 23) - Check-In - CHECKPOINT FIVE - FIFTH CHECK IN

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Oct 23, 2015 11:19PM) (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
2015 - Readathon Four Date: August 22, 2015 - Midnight to 4AM Check-In (August 23) - THIS IS CHECK IN FIVE

Please let us know who is reading during these this period of time.

Let us know the following:

Name of Book and Author:
Genre:
Number of Pages Read - Start Page and Finish Page for this four hour period.
Don't forget the proper citation - just do the best you can and we will assist you.
Did you complete any books - name the completed books and authors and citations
What time zone are you in and location:

So for example:

The Jewel in the Crown by Paul Scott
The Jewel in the Crown (The Raj Quartet, #1) by Paul Scott by Paul Scott Paul Scott - Genre: Historical Fiction - pages start 1 - finish 80

If you finished a book - let us know that too and make sure to get it added to your readathon shelf so you can get credit for it. If it is added properly it will show up on your shelf. You have to make sure to have selected a readathon shelf and when you are done with the first book for your readathon - make sure to add the completed date and that the book is read versus currently reading.

It will show up on your shelf if you have done this properly.

Remember wherever you are you can participate in the readathon.

And if you only have one hour or four hours or plan to do this for the entire 24 hour period taking of course breaks for eating and sleeping - you can join for however long you want to read. We want to keep track of the books completed, the books started, the books in progress, the number of pages read by all, and the different genres. Great fun and this is only the second readathon - we will use the same readathon challenge for all of them so you can see your readathon shelves grow.

Additionally these books that you complete on the readathon can be added to other shelves for the Japan or India challenge or the 2015 50 Books Challenge or the goodreads yearly challenge - the sky is the limit. Any genre is welcome.

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Remember folks this is the check in for anybody reading during the hours of Midnight (August 22nd) until 4AM on August 23rd, 2015 (wherever in the world you are - use your time zone). If you want to get credit for any reading done during these four hours you must check in on this thread - Checkpoint FIVE. But for the check in to count - you must post between the hours of Midnight on August 22nd to 4AM on August 23rd in the time zone that you are in. This is the Checkpoint for those hours on August 22nd into August 23rd. To get credit for these hours this is the thread you must post on. This is Checkpoint FIVE.

REMEMBER AT LEAST ONE CHECK-IN MUST REFLECT THE FOLLOWING TO BE COUNTED IN THE READATHON AND OF COURSE YOU MUST CHECK-OUT AT THE END.

Make sure to answer the following:

Name of Book and Author or books and authors:

Genre or genres:

Number of Pages Read - Start Page and Finish Page for this four hour period.

Don't forget the proper citation - just do the best you can and we will assist you.

How much time did you read during this block of time:

Did you complete any books during this time frame and what were they?

Also, your location in the world and timezone

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Folks everytime we do this we always find folks who want to participate but fail to join and set up their shelves properly so that they can get full credit:

You must join!

Very important:

How To Join In: - https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

Click on the title at the top - The HBC Readathons. Please then join by simply signing in at the bottom and say how many books you plan to read for one or more of the readathon dates - there will be six readathon dates throughout the year; then create your own personal shelf to add the books which you would like to tackle during one readathon or more readathons. That is all there is to it and goodreads will keep track. Become your own marathoner in reading books on the readathon dates and we will keep track of your progress in terms of titles of books, number of books, number of pages, and different genres. Give it a whirl and see how much reading you can get done and take a stab at that big "to be read" pile of books that we all have.

Note: Don't forget to set up your shelf first and then add the name of that shelf here when setting up the challenge for your readathon.

And here are some links to the Readathon folder which will be updated:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 03:14PM) (new)

Doris, are you still reading in Turkey? If so you should be on this checkpoint right now. If you are done - then proceed to Checkpoint Seven to check out. Or you can post the check in template here and record your reading for this checkpoint.

There would be one more Check In Checkpoint after five and that is Check In Six - but if you are done reading then proceed to Checkpoint Seven which is always the Check Out thread and Check Out is always mandatory.

Here is the link to the thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...--

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Samanta - you checked in for Checkpoint Four - check in which is great - get that finalized and make sure you get to this Checkpoint which is Checkpoint Five - it is now 12:54AM in Croatia and this is where you should be. Are you planning to continue to Checkpoint Five and read more or are you ready to check out and go to seven. Let me know.

message 6: by Samanta (last edited Aug 22, 2015 05:45PM) (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Continuing with:

Shadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye by M.M. Kaye M.M. Kaye

Genre or genres: Historical fiction
Start Page: 447
Finish Page for this checkpoint: 462
Total Pages Read: 15
How much time did you read during this block of time: 30 min
Books Complete: 0 so far
What were they? None so far

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 04:58PM) (new)

Samanta you are back - good - but go back and fix all of your templates - you are missing parts. See all of the parts in the template. I can see now what is wrong- list them vertically like I have done. How was your walk with your aunt - it must have been glorious and beautiful. See example.

The Republic by Plato

The Republic by Plato by Plato Plato

Genre or genres: Philosophy
Start Page: 45 - Book One - Prelude, etc
Finish Page for this checkpoint: no progress
Total Pages Read: (Still going) - Audio but will translate to pages - 45
How much time did you read during this block of time: administrating and listening and typing all at the same time - so hard to say - but elapsed time - no time - tried for a couple of minutes but moderating

message 8: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) It was wonderful. We are continuing today when we wake up.

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 05:06PM) (new)

Terrific - ah good - I do not know when you went to the horizontal version but the vertical is easier to read quickly. Thanks.

Glad you enjoyed your stroll.

message 10: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) I've been using it since the first Readathon, but you are right, this is better.

message 11: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Clearer.

message 12: by Jill (last edited Aug 22, 2015 10:09PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Check #5. I will now be going to final stop at checkpoint #7. Going to bed!!

Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus, #19) by Ian Rankin by Ian Rankin Ian Rankin

Genre: British police procedural
Number of pages read: 42 (219- 261)
Time read: 45 min.
Books completed: 1

message 13: by Francie (last edited Aug 23, 2015 07:41AM) (new)

Francie Grice Nine Parts of Desire by Geraldine Brooks

Nine Parts of Desire The Hidden World of Islamic Women by Geraldine Brooks by Geraldine Brooks Geraldine Brooks
Genre or Genres: Cultural Nonfiction
Start Page: 114
Finish Page for this checkpoint: 143
Total pages read: 29
How much time did you read during this block of time: 1.5 hours
Books completed: 2 so far
What were they: The Towers of Silence (The Raj Quartet, #3) by Paul Scott by Paul Scott Paul Scott and
Eisenhower in War and Peace by Jean Edward Smith by Jean Edward Smith Jean Edward Smith

message 14: by Gyoza (last edited Aug 23, 2015 04:11PM) (new)

Gyoza | 240 comments Checking back in! I am continuing to read:

Second World War The Grand Alliance, The by Winston S. Churchill by Winston S. Churchill Winston S. Churchill

Genre: History, Politics, War
Start Page: 298
End Page: 479
Start Time: 12:00 AM (EST)
End Time: 3:30 AM (EST)
Total Pages: 181
Total Time: 3.5 hours
Books Completed: 0

message 15: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Jill and Francie - your frameworks are in place

message 16: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 23, 2015 12:36AM) (new)

OK - I am putting the template in and hoping that I make some progress

The Republic by Plato

Finish Page for this checkpoint: 45
Total Pages Read: (Still going) - Audio but will translate to pages - None
How much time did you read during this block of time: None - moderating

message 17: by Teri (last edited Aug 22, 2015 11:45PM) (new)

Teri (teriboop) How to Be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway by Margaret Dilloway Margaret Dilloway
Genre: Historical Fiction
Start page: 44
End page: 71
Total pages read: 27
Total time read: 1 hour
Books Completed: 0

message 18: by Francie (new)

Francie Grice Checked out, see msg 13

message 19: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

OK Francie are you going to SEVEN now - checkout??? Or are you going to do any more reading?

message 20: by Leah (last edited Aug 22, 2015 10:31PM) (new)

Leah Markum | 7 comments Walden by Henry David Thoreau by Henry David Thoreau Henry David Thoreau
Genre: philosophy, nature, memoir
Start page: 96
End page: 119
Total pages: 23
Time: 30 minutes
Completion: no
Completed:
Canajan, Eh? by Mark M. Orkin by Mark M. Orkin
Washington, D.C. Then and Now by Alexander D. Mitchell IV by Alexander D. Mitchell IV

message 21: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Teri, I think I answered my own question - you are still reading.

message 22: by Francie (new)

Francie Grice Bentley wrote: "OK Francie are you going to SEVEN now - checkout??? Or are you going to do any more reading?"

I'm usually up at 6:00 and will read until 8:00 or until my husband gets up, whichever comes first.

message 23: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

OK so you should finish out this checkpoint because this only goes to 4AM and then go to Checkpoint Six (set up your framework), go to bed, get up and read and finalize your template - finish by 8AM and then proceed to checkout which is Checkout Seven.

message 24: by Michael (last edited Aug 23, 2015 05:53AM) (new)

Michael (michaelbl) | 407 comments Sea of Thunder Four Commanders and the Last Great Naval Campaign 1941-1945 by Evan Thomas by Evan Thomas Evan Thomas

Genre or genres: Non-Fiction, WWII
Start Page: 268
Finish Page for this checkpoint:288
Total Pages Read:20
How much time did you read during this block of time:1.5hrs
Books Completed:0
What were they?

message 25: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Framework in place Michael

message 26: by Teri (new)

Teri (teriboop) Check out. See msg 17.

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 49 comments The Founding of Christendom A History of Christendom, Vol. 1 by Warren H. Carroll by Warren H. Carroll Warren H. Carroll

Genre: History, Religion
Starting: Page 211
Ending: Page 215
Pages read:5
Time spent reading: 60 minutes
No books completed during this session.

message 28: by M (last edited Aug 23, 2015 03:55AM) (new)

M Beal | 67 comments Malice Box by Martin Langfield by Martin Langfield Martin Langfield
Genre: mystery/thriller
Number of Pages Read: 446
Start Page:241 (finished book 3)
Finish page for this checkpoint: 340 (book 4)
Total Pages read: 1,604
Time read during this block of time: 3 1/2 hours
Books Complete: 2
What were they? Black Sun Rising (The Coldfire Trilogy, #1) by C.S. Friedman by C.S. Friedman C.S. Friedman
Bridge of Birds A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #1) by Barry Hughart by Barry Hughart Barry Hughart
I Am Malala The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai by Malala Yousafzai Malala Yousafzai

message 29: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

M I agree - I will be checking FIVE tomorrow

message 30: by Rosalinda (last edited Aug 23, 2015 08:06AM) (new)

Rosalinda  (rosapal) Checking in:

Continuing with:
Empath (The Empath Trilogy, #1) by H.K. Savage by H.K. Savage H.K. Savage
Genre: Fantasy
Start page: 73
End page: 184
Total pages read: 111
Time read: 1 1/2 hours
Book completed: No

message 31: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (skitch41) | 158 comments This is my first check in for check in #5 and I just wanted to update where I was on my last book for this readathon before trying to finish it before the end of this period.

Name of Book and Author or books and authors: Unfamiliar Fishes by Sarah Vowell by Sarah Vowell Sarah Vowell
Genre or genres: history
Start page: 40
Finish page for this checkpoint: 100
Total pages read: 528
How much time did you read during this block of time: 50 minutes
Location in the world and timezone: San Bernardino, Pacific Standard Time (PST).
Completed books: 3 so far.
What were they?: Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee by Harper Lee Harper Lee, Don't Supersize It! 10 Healthy Perspectives for the Small Church by Bob DeSagun by Rev. Bob DeSagun Ph.D. & McCarthyism by Thomas C. Reeves by Thomas C. Reeves.

message 32: by Ebb (new)

Ebb (ebbsbooks) The Worm Ouroboros by E.R. Eddison by E.R. Eddison E.R. Eddison

Genre: Science Fiction/Fantasy 

Page Start - 123
Page End - 172

Number of Pages Read - 49

Time Read - 60 mins (12:30am-1:30am)
60 mins (2:55am-3:55am)
Completion of Book during this Check In: no

Name of Book Completed -none

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Triangle The Fire That Changed America by David von Drehle by David von Drehle David von Drehle

Genre or genres: History, American labor movement
Start Page: 58
Finish Page for this checkpoint: 193
Total Pages Read: 136
How much time did you read during this block of time: 3.5 hours
Books Complete: n/a
What were they? n/a

message 34: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (skitch41) | 158 comments Finishing up this last book may run me into the next check in period a little bit. So, I'm updating my status now in case that happens.

Name of Book and Author or books and authors: Unfamiliar Fishes by Sarah Vowell by Sarah Vowell Sarah Vowell
Genre or genres: history
Start page: 100
Finish page for this checkpoint: 207
Total pages read: 575
How much time did you read during this block of time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
Location in the world and timezone: San Bernardino, Pacific Standard Time (PST).
Completed books: 3 so far.
What were they?: Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee by Harper Lee Harper Lee, Don't Supersize It! 10 Healthy Perspectives for the Small Church by Bob DeSagun by Rev. Bob DeSagun Ph.D. & McCarthyism by Thomas C. Reeves by Thomas C. Reeves.

message 35: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbl) | 407 comments Completed checkpoint #5 see edited message #24. Moved to Checkpoint #6.

message 36: by Ceroth (last edited Aug 23, 2015 07:58AM) (new)

Ceroth Paul | 18 comments Ok, I'm awake now. Checking in for the last hour here on the West Coast.

Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie by Robert Leckie Robert Leckie
Genre: History
Starting: 124
Ending: 140
Total Pages Read This Checkpoint: 16
Total Pages Read For Book: 140
Time read: 37 Minutes
Completed Books: 0

message 37: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Jill wrote: "Check #5. I will now be going to final stop at checkpoint #7. Going to bed!!

Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus, #19) by Ian Rankin by Ian RankinIan Rankin

Genre: Brit..."

Add the book completed - the citation at bottom

message 38: by Ceroth (new)

Ceroth Paul | 18 comments I think I should have done this Check In at a different place, shouldn't I have?

message 39: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 23, 2015 07:40AM) (new)

Ceroth - just update and finish message 36 (template blank on some lines) - just tell me what you did during this time block - just like you did before

Note - I have no idea why goodreads tries to change your name to Cerritos - I always have to go back in and correct it after I typed it correctly but goodreads decides that is not your name.

message 40: by Ceroth (new)

Ceroth Paul | 18 comments That's funny. I never knew it did that.

message 41: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I know - it is like a spell check corrector - and you have it typed correctly and every time you post you can see that it changed it again. So I have to go back in, edit and make sure that I preview before I post and see that it did not think I had misspelled your name.

message 42: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Ceroth minor problem
Total Pages Read For Book: 35 Minutes
Time read:

===========
You have the time read in the wrong spot.
And you need to include the total pages read during time block - it can be none - I had some of those (smile) - or whatever number you completed during this specific time block

message 43: by Rosalinda (new)

Rosalinda  (rosapal) Completed checkpoint: see message 30

message 44: by Francie (new)

Francie Grice Bentley, all fixed now

message 45: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thanks Francie and Ceroth Paul

message 46: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Rosa all set thanks.

message 47: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 23, 2015 05:55PM) (new)

SUCCESSFUL TEMPLATES AND CHECK INS

1. Samanta - Croatia - CEST
2. Christopher - California - PTZ
3. Bentley - Metro NYC - EST
4. Gle - Iowa - Central Time Zone
5. Ebony - New Jersey - EST
6. Teri - Texas - Mountain Time Zone
7. Leah - Arkansas - Central Time Zone
8. Michael - Alberta, Canada - Mountain Daylight Time
9. Leslie - NC - EST
10. Ceroth Paul - Portland, Oregon - PTZ
11. Francie - Gerogia - EST
12. Rosa - Arizona - Mountain Time Zone
13. Gyoza - Georgia - EST

TEMPLATES AND CHECK INS THAT ARE INCOMPLETE, NEVER FINALIZED OR NEED JUST A MINOR TWEEK

1. Jill - missing book citation at bottom

message 48: by Rosalinda (new)

Rosalinda Morgan (rosalinda_r_morgan) | 8 comments I did not know I have to check in on every checkpoint even if I was not reading. But here it is.

Checking in:

Citation: The Bells by Richard Harvell by Richard Harvell Richard Harvell

Name of Book: The Bells
Author: Richard Harvell

Genre: Fiction

Start Page - 324
Finish Page - 324

Location - Charleston, SC
Time Zone - EST

How much time did you read? 0 - Asleep
I'm checking out from Checkpoint Five.

message 49: by Gyoza (new)

Gyoza | 240 comments Bentley wrote: "SUCCESSFUL TEMPLATES AND CHECK INS

1. Samanta - Croatia - CEST
2. Christopher - California - PTZ
3. Bentley - Metro NYC - EST
4. Gle - Iowa - Central Time Zone
5. Ebony - New Jersey - EST
6. Teri ..."

All percentages have been converted to pages. I based it on an edition of the book that has 903 pages.

message 50: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 23, 2015 03:53PM) (new)

That is close enough Gyoza - we know that it is an approximation and that is fine. I appreciate your taking the time to do this.

However, you are still missing the Location and Timezone line unfortunately. So back to the drawing board but that is easy for you to add. It has to be on every checkpoint in and out.
Michael in message 24 always has a nice succinct way of getting all of the info together is a very compact way which I like and appreciate.

Here is my sample:

The Republic by Plato

Finish Page for this checkpoint: no progress
Total Pages Read: (Still going) - Audio but will translate to pages - 45
How much time did you read during this block of time: administrating and listening and typing all at the same time - so hard to say - but elapsed time - no time - tried for a couple of minutes but moderating

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.