The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2015 > 30.9 - Morgan Faeriesfolly's Task: Players 3 & 4 Have Joined the Game

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Aug 30, 2015 04:16PM) (new)

Sandy | 15840 comments Mod
30.9 Morgan Faeriesfolly's Task: Players 3 & 4 Have Joined the Game

During the summer season we found out that my sister-in-law is expecting -- then the even bigger surprise -- it's twins! I'm the only aunt, and these are their first children and the first grandchildren for either set of grandparents, so we are all extremely excited. I was going to save this idea for Winter (when they're due), but I am not sure if I'll be able to finish since I am working towards gaining two different national certifications for my job. So you get the task early...just like the twins might show up a bit ahead of time.

Books with the genre Sequential Art (Comics, Graphic Novels, Manga) are allowed for this task as long as they fit all other SRC requirements.

This is a TWO BOOK task.

We play D&D together, so go here and roll one die to determine which option you'll do. (Unfortunately, it's not a d20, but we can only give so many options within a task!)

The number you roll determines which pair of options you receive. Each pair of options has two possible numbers that can lead to them.
REQUIRED: State what number you rolled when you post your task.

Since the babies will come in a pair, so will your options.

REQUIRED: Since they are fraternal twins, your books will need to be written by DIFFERENT AUTHORS.

1. If you rolled a ONE or FOUR: The new parents will be giving two tiny people their intro to the world.

(Book A) Take this opportunity to introduce yourself to a new series. Read a book of your choice that is listed as (series #1) on Goodreads.

(Book B) Read a book where the title/subtitle contain a repeated word of at least four letters. The repeated words need not be sequential. Repeated numbers will work as well if they have at least 4 digits. The word or number must be identical - no variations.

Possible examples: Everything, Everything, Blue Lily, Lily Blue, Guards! Guards!, Fangs But No Fangs, Tyger Tyger, Never Never, Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline: Where the Crew Lives, Eats, Wars, and Parties: One Crazy Year Working on Cruise Ships.

2. If you rolled a TWO or FIVE: My sister-in-law is big into Ren Faires, Lord of the Rings, and table top gaming. My brother loves Star Wars, LEGOS, and video games. Of course, a lot of these are interchangeable between them.

(Book A) Read a book with the main page genre science fiction, and where the letters LOTR can be found in any order in any combination of title/subtitle/author* name. The genre may be standalone or embedded.

(Book B) Read a book with the main page genre fantasy, and in which the letters LEGOS can be found in any order in any combination of title/subtitle/author* name. The genre may be standalone or embedded.

REQUIRED: For both A and B, indicate in your post where the required letters are found.

Examples:
SF- Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson - LT in sTanLley OR in RObinson

Fantasy - Golden Son - LEGO in GOLdEn S in Son

3. If you rolled a THREE or SIX: Good things come in pairs...

((Book A) Read a book where the title/subtitle contains the phrase "_____ and _____" or " ______ & ______". The words linked by the "and" cannot be articles - a, an, the. For example, a title containing "_____ and the ____" such as Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist would not work.

Examples: Siege and Storm, Cinnamon and Gunpowder, Of Metal and Wishes, The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Claws and Effect, Between You & Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen.

(Book B) Read a book where there are consecutive double letters found in a single word in the title/subtitle.

Possible examples: Hellhole, Fairest, Vol. 2: The Hidden Kingdom, UnWritten, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, Daughter of Deep Silence.

*Only authors that are identified as authors (or a default blank in the author role field), co-authors, or contributors may be used for tasks involving author information. Other roles or functions such as editor, illustrator, artist, translator, introduction, designed by, foreword, preface, assistant or afterword may not be used for author-sourced tasks. Ask about other roles identified in a Goodreads record in the season's General Questions help thread.

message 3: by Morgan (last edited Oct 16, 2015 06:56PM) (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments ♥♥THESE WON'T WORK♥♥

ONE/FOUR

::Book A::

::Book B::
Never Never (by Colleen Hoover) -- it's in three parts, so you would have to read the other two parts as well for it to count.

TWO/FIVE

The Two Towers (genre, but not letters)

The Two Towers (genre, but not letters)

THREE/SIX

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15840 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 947 comments No book ideas (or even die rolls to tell me which ones, yet :p) but I just have to say that being an auntie is the best! My brother and SIL had twins right off the bat, too (first grandkids either side as well), and it's been a riot! Hoping that all goes well and the little people stay put as long as is needed and everyone is healthy :)

message 6: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Melissa wrote: "No book ideas (or even die rolls to tell me which ones, yet :p) but I just have to say that being an auntie is the best! My brother and SIL had twins right off the bat, too (first grandkids either..."

It's such a fun surprise! Yay for yours! :D I'm loving it already and they aren't even here yet. It's gonna get crazy once they arrive. haha. Thanks for the good wishes :) I thought the time would crawl by since we found out, but it is FLYING.

message 7: by Book Concierge (last edited Aug 20, 2015 01:43PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3666 comments Haven't rolled yet (waiting to fill in other tasks first) but just have a question re
Option 2 - roll TWO or FIVE

Can the letters be found in any combination of the title/author name?
For example, let's just say that
AURORA was written by Kim Stanley ...
could we still count the OR in aurORa and the LT in sTanLey?

Or do all the letters have to be found in EITHER the title/subtitle or in the author's name?

Hope that made sense...

message 8: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Haven't rolled yet (waiting to fill in other tasks first) but just have a question re
Option 2 - roll TWO or FIVE

Can the letters be found in any combination of the title/author name?
For example..."

"Any order and any combination".
They don't have to be one or the other. Just wherever you find them. :)

message 9: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Congrats to your families!

Just want to clarify.
I rolled a 3...
Can I use The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra (Nicholas AND Alexandra) for book 1 and Fatal Affair (2 F's) for book 2?

message 10: by Pia (last edited Aug 20, 2015 11:38PM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments I rolled a 6, so would these books work?

Book A:
Oryx and Crake
Eleanor & Park
Hide and Seek

Book B:
To kill a Mockingbird
The good girl
The Cellar
My brilliant friend
Big little lies

message 11: by LouLouReads (new)

LouLouReads | 237 comments I really like the name of this task (haven't assigned any books yet). Just wanted to say :-) And congratulations on becoming an aunty!

message 12: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Vicki wrote: "Congrats to your families!

Just want to clarify.
I rolled a 3...
Can I use The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra (Nicholas AND Alexandra) ..."

Yes :) Those'll work!

message 13: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Pia wrote: "I rolled a 6, so would these books work?

Book A:
Oryx and Crake
Eleanor & Park
Hide and Seek

Book B:
To kill a Mockingbird
The good girl
The Cellar
My brilliant friend
Big little lies"

All good options! :) (At least as far as fitting the task. haha. I unfortunately cannot guarantee reader satisfaction. :P)

message 14: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments LouLouReads wrote: "I really like the name of this task (haven't assigned any books yet). Just wanted to say :-) And congratulations on becoming an aunty!"

Thanks :) It's actually from some onesies I found on etsy. I thought it was perfect for them.

message 15: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Morgan wrote: "Pia wrote: "I rolled a 6, so would these books work?

Book A:
Oryx and Crake
Eleanor & Park
Hide and Seek

Book B:
To kill a Mockingbird
The good girl
The Cellar
My brilliant friend
Big little lie..."

I think most of them will be a good read. I know I like Margaret Atwood, Ian Rankin and Minette Walters, and I've been wanting to read To Kill a Mockingbird for a long time now... The others I don't know.

And congrats on the babies! Twins are awesome. I have twin nieces and they're the cutest

message 16: by Morgan (last edited Aug 22, 2015 05:37PM) (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Pia wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Pia wrote: "I rolled a 6, so would these books work?

Book A:
Oryx and Crake
Eleanor & Park
Hide and Seek

Book B:
To kill a Mockingbird
The good girl
The Cellar
My brilliant friend..."

I have some of them on my TBR or liked them. I haven't gotten to Oryx & Crake yet, but Margaret Atwood hasn't really disappointed me yet. :)

& Thanks! I've had several friends have twins lately or family members who have so I am starting to wonder if there's something in the water! haha.

message 17: by Kamara (new)

Kamara Gant (marasheasview) I rolled a 5

I wanted to know if The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would be acceptable for Book A and if Practical Demonkeeping would qualify for Book B?

message 18: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Kamara wrote: "I rolled a 5

I wanted to know if The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would be acceptable for Book A and if Practical Demonkeeping would qualify for Book B?"

Yep! Both would work.

Science Fiction/Science Fiction Fantasy on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and LOTR in the title.

So many variations of Fantasy on Practical Demonkeeping and LEGO in title and S in author name.

Good to go! :)

And Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of my favorites. <3

message 19: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments Mazel Tov, Morgan!

My SF book has Science Fiction Fantasy listed 8th and I'm afraid it may be gone when I post. I'm seeking genre verification for The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant

Thanks!

BTW, my fantasy On the Accidental Wings of Dragons and The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant are both free today on Amazon.

message 20: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Jonquil wrote: "Mazel Tov, Morgan!

My SF book has Science Fiction Fantasy listed 8th and I'm afraid it may be gone when I post. I'm seeking genre verification for [book:The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurou..."

The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant verified with:
Science Fiction Fantasy 2 users

:)

message 21: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 413 comments Congrats Morgan =)

I rolled a 3 and just to clarify, any Harry Potter and _____ books will do, right?

message 22: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Valerie wrote: "Congrats Morgan =)

I rolled a 3 and just to clarify, any Harry Potter and _____ books will do, right?"

I think those would all fall under the "_____ and the _____" disqualification.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, etc.

If it was Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows it would work, but the "the" makes them not work for that particular task.

message 23: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 413 comments Gotcha, thanks

message 24: by Emurphy (new)

Emurphy | 491 comments Book A for rolling a 5

The Fellowship of the Ring

Book has to be Science Fiction genre - Science Fiction Fantasy ok?

message 25: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Emurphy wrote: "Book A for rolling a 5

Book has to be Science Fiction genre - Science Fiction Fantasy ok?"

Yes :) "Science Fiction Fantasy" as a main page genre would work for either Science Fiction or Fantasy. So That book would work for either Book A or Book B for anyone who rolls a 2 or 5. (LOTR and LEGOS can both be found in the title.)

Fun find!

message 26: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Valerie wrote: "Gotcha, thanks"

Valerie, I forgot to mention (though you probably already noticed) that you *could* use any of the Harry Potter books for the double letter part of that option.

message 27: by Emurphy (new)

Emurphy | 491 comments Morgan wrote: "Emurphy wrote: "Book A for rolling a 5

Book has to be Science Fiction genre - Science Fiction Fantasy ok?"

Yes :) "Science Fiction Fantasy" as a main pa..."

Great! Thank you! And actually, another question - does "The Lord of the Rings count as the title/subtitle because I was going to use The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers as my Book 2

message 28: by Morgan (last edited Aug 30, 2015 06:04PM) (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Emurphy wrote: "Great! Thank you! And actually, another question - does "The Lord of the Rings count as the title/subtitle because I was going to use The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers as my Book 2"

The Two Towers just shows as is, and "The Lord of the Rings" is under series, so it wouldn't work for this.

Oh! But The Return of the King would work for book A "LOTR" when you add the "L" from J.R.R. Tolkien.

Just in case you find somewhere else for #2. ;)

message 29: by Emurphy (new)

Emurphy | 491 comments Morgan wrote: "Emurphy wrote: "Great! Thank you! And actually, another question - does "The Lord of the Rings count as the title/subtitle because I was going to use The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers as my Boo..."

Great! Thanks for the help! :)

message 30: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Marianne | 110 comments The First Person and Other Stories is ok for book A of number 3? Thanks.

message 31: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Yay! Congrats :D

Will these work for 2/5?

Book A (SF and LOTR): Captain America: Winter Soldier
LOR in Soldier, T in Winter

Book B (Fantasy and LEGOS): Shutter, Vol. 1: Wanderlost by Joe Keatinge
LEOS in Wanderlost, G in Keatinge

message 32: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Kelly wrote: "The First Person and Other Stories is ok for book A of number 3? Thanks."

Yep, "Person and Other works".

Megan wrote: "Yay! Congrats :D

Will these work for 2/5?

Book A (SF and LOTR): Captain America: Winter Soldier
LOR in Soldier, T in Winter

Book B (Fantasy and LEGOS): [book:Shutter, Vol. 1: Wand..."

Thanks. Yep, both have the needed genres and letters. :) (Graphic novels are why subtitles were included. haha.)

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Morgan wrote: "Kelly wrote: "The First Person and Other Stories is ok for book A of number 3? Thanks."

Yep, "Person and Other works".

Megan wrote: "Yay! Congrats :D

Will these work for 2/5?

Bo..."

Yay! Thank you :D

message 34: by Whitnie (new)

Whitnie | 281 comments I rolled a 4. Book A is easy as it can be anything. For book B can I use: Songs of love and death. All original tales of star-crossed love? I'm only asking because it is a anthology of works by various authors. I'd read the whole book.

message 35: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Whitnie wrote: "I rolled a 4. Book A is easy as it can be anything. For book B can I use: Songs of love and death. All original tales of star-crossed love? I'm only asking because it is a anthology of works by var..."

I don't have a rule against collections/anthologies (but you are right that the whole collection/anthology would need to be read just like any other claimed book). Just a heads up for questions, you should always add a link.

You can add links by clicking the "add book/author" just above the comment box -- there you can search by title/author/isbn. Basically everything needs to be linked for questions/claiming to keep things clear.

Is this the one? Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love If so, "love" is repeated so it would fit.

Hopefully somewhere in there I covered the question. haha. :)

message 36: by Whitnie (new)

Whitnie | 281 comments perfect, thank you. I'll remember to put a link next time. This is my first time and I forgot.

message 37: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments I rolled a one, would Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold work for Book 2?

message 38: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments puppitypup wrote: "I rolled a one, would Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold work for Book 2?"

Yep :) Eyes/Eyes works. Enjoy!

message 39: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Thanks Morgan!

message 40: by puppitypup (last edited Sep 17, 2015 11:09PM) (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Morgan, I rolled a one. For my Book 1, does the series have to continue with the same characters? For example, The Charm School says it's #1, but the remaining books in the series don't have the same characters.

message 41: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments puppitypup wrote: "Morgan, I rolled a one. For my Book 1, does the series have to continue with the same characters? For example, The Charm School says it's #1, but the remaining books in the series d..."

Nope, it just has to be listed as "Series, #1" on Goodreads :D

message 42: by Claire (last edited Oct 07, 2015 10:15AM) (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments Rolled a four.

Book One: The Holy Thief by William Ryan (Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev #1)

Book Two: Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett

message 43: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Claire wrote: "Rolled a four.

Book One: The Holy Thief by William Ryan (Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev #1)

Book Two: Guards! Guards! by [author:Terry Pratchet..."

Yep, those will work :)

message 44: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1731 comments I rolled a 1. Does this work for book B: I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had: My Year as a Rookie Teacher at Northeast High? The word "teacher" is repeated in the subtitle.

Thanks!

message 45: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Cindie wrote: "I rolled a 1. Does this work for book B: I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had: My Year as a Rookie Teacher at Northeast High? The word "teacher" is repeated in the subt..."

Yep! That works! :) Enjoy.

message 46: by Lara (last edited Nov 08, 2015 12:13PM) (new)

Lara | 50 comments Hi. I rolled a 3. Can the series name be considered as part of the title, like Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft and so does this work for book A? Thanks!

message 47: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Lara wrote: "Hi. I rolled a 3. Can the series name be considered as part of the title, like Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft and so does this work for book A? Thanks!"

For graphic novels I count all of that as the 'title' so that works for book A. :D It was actually why I put '&' in the examples.

The series is so good. <3

They just put out an audiobook (full cast recording) of all 6 volumes and it was free on audible. I don't know if it still is, but I am excited to give it a listen when I get a chance!

message 48: by Lara (new)

Lara | 50 comments Morgan wrote: "Lara wrote: "Hi. I rolled a 3. Can the series name be considered as part of the title, like Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft and so does this work for book A? Thanks!"

For ..."

Great! I really like the series as well. I immediately got the audiobook soon as it came out and it was awesome. Hope you enjoy it!

message 49: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Lara wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Lara wrote: "Hi. I rolled a 3. Can the series name be considered as part of the title, like Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft and so does this work for book A?..."

I wanted to get to it last month, but it just didn't happen. But I basically listen to audio books all day at work so I know I'll get to it eventually! Glad to here it was awesome! I was not expecting that series to give me hearteyes as much as it ended up doing.