Start by marking “Hide and Seek” as Want to Read:
Hide and Seek

Hide and Seek

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  56,755 Ratings  ·  510 Reviews
Maggie Bradford is on trial for murder - in the celebrity trial of the decade.
As one of the world's best-loved singer-songwriters, she seems to have it all.
So how could she have murdered not just one, but two of her husbands?

Will Shephard was Maggie's second husband.
A magnificent athlete and film star, he was just as famous.
But Will had dark, dangerous secrets that none
Published February 3rd 1997 by HarperCollins (first published December 28th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Hide and Seek, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Taj Amini I wasn't confused about this at all, when i found out Will was still alive i figured it was will who spoke to Norma on the phone also :P

Diane Wallace
May 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
just ok..it was a mind provoking book,engaging at times but then i'm disappointed with the storyline..(paperback!)
Chiara Cilli
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Sconvolgente e seducente!

STREPITOSO! Non mi viene in mente nessun'altro termine con cui cominciare questa recensione. Questo Thriller con la lettera maiuscola mi ha avvinghiata sin dalle primissime pagine e non mi ha più mollata. La scrittura di James Patterson mi ha ammaliata e i capitoli brevi e incisivi mi hanno resa letteralmente famelica. Ogni volta mi ripetevo «Solo un altro capitolo» per poi continuare e continuare, in preda a una smania crescente.

Una brama alimentata da Will Shepherd.
Lui
Salymar
May 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Hide and Seek is my first novel by American author, James Patterson. This novel made quite an impression to me but it isn't the type of book that hooked me till its end. I can still say that It is a page-turner because you could imagine the drama and mystery it entails the readers but it only ends at that.

The novel tells the story of a famous singer Maggie Bradford who once killed her husband in order to protect herself from scurrilous attacks and at the second part of the story, being accused o
Kaye
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was one of my least favorite Patterson novels. There is nothing wrong with it except that I didn't care about any of the characters. Most of the story is told from Maggie's point of view. As a young wife she killed her abusive husband to protect her child. She goes on to a fabulous song-writing and singing career. But the story is told in flashbacks from her sitting in jail awaiting trial for killing her current husband after she is already a success. She comes off snarky and smug instead o ...more
Rhonda
Terribly flat dialogue and unrealistic situations. Characters were cardboard. Heroine was unlikable and stupid.

Patterson should refrain from trying to write a female main character. At 6% in our heroine gives this description of herself, (view spoiler)
Mrjackthepoodle
Jan 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Gary
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent stand alone novel by James Patterson.
Short chapters, fast paced, full of action, sound familiar?
Donna
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maggie Bradford is a famous singer and songwriter. Many of her songs are based on the pain and heartbreak she feels because she killed her abusive husband before he killed her and their daughter Jennie. Years later, Maggie falls for famous soccer player Will Fletcher. As readers, we know Will is a psychopath who has killed before. Maggie shoots him outside her home after finding him with Jennie.
Now she must undergo trial for killing her second husband.

I'm pretty sure I read this book when it ca
Aaron
Jul 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Maggie Bradford has had it tough when it comes to romance. She had to kill her abusive husband, and later she loses an older and rich lover to a heart attack while the two of them are sailing. The worse of it comes when she meets soccer star Will Shepherd who is a double image of David Beckham.

Besides being well known from the field, the Golden Arrow is also quite the ladies man. He has no trouble finding romance. Unfortunately for most of the ladies he ends up seeing, things don't usually turn
Matt
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was OK. It's main problem was that the first 2/3 of it was just a woman telling us all about her life, love life in particular, over the past 10 or so years. This was pretty boring as I don't read James Patterson to hear a woman describe how beautiful her wedding was and how each new guy in her life made her feel so special (actually I don't read Patterson at all, I only listen to him on audio books). The redeeming aspects of the book are that the premise of the story is the main chara ...more
Julia Grundling
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it
i was actually busy with another book, but we went on a motorbike weekend and the other book was too heavy to carry, so i grabbed this one. :)

it was a quick read and oh my word - suspenseful ... very hard to put down.

although i enjoyed it, it's not really my cup of tea. i prefer historical fiction, but like to try something different every now and again. well, at least i can say i've read a james patterson now. :)
Wendy Dranfield
Jan 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately, this was full of unrealistic characters and clichés. It may be a good pool-side read if you don't want to have to think much on holiday!
Michael Obiora
Oct 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Within a few pages I could clearly see why James Patterson has sold a ridiculous amount of books. His style of storytelling is very simple (absolutely nothing wrong with that), and the action moves fluidly.
Hide and Seek is only the second book written by James Patterson that I’ve read but I can definitely get a sense of a writer sticking to a formula that works (and why the hell not?). Some of Patterson’s works have been adapted for the silver screen, and perhaps after striking gold with his Al
Samantha
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense, mystery
As the first James Patterson novel I read I must say I was really dissapointed. I had heard all this hype surrounding his works and this was just an OK book. I found myself more interested in every other character except the main character, Maggie. I found her to be a very boring person. I wanted more of Will's story. He was just so sick and twisted and deranged, I was intrigued.
I am no English scholar or professional reviewer so I'm not sure how to put this, but I felt that the last 100 pages
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I've tried a few Pattersons' recently - a couple of the Womens' Murder Club, a few Alex Cross and some stand alones like Hide & Seek.

They are very, very easy reads - the chapters alone are far too short for adult novels, I find them very superficial with little depth to many characters and, occasionally, they are so predictable meaning the ending isn't all that great.

I think I've given Patterson a fair shot but I am relegating him to holiday reading only ... something I can read while lazing
A.R. Voss
Jan 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
James Patterson; here's the dilemma: Mr. Patterson puts out many books (perhaps too many.) From what I understand he made $77 million last year, enough money not to worry about going hungry; so please be more selective in what you publish. I lost interest in Mr. Patterson's writing after a valiant attempt in reading "Hide and Seek;" one of rare few books I did not want to finish.
John
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
ehhhh.. it was ok
Kaylie
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hide and Seek is my first Patterson. His intent to provoke, anger, or warn is well known and even cherished by many as a celebration of literature’s power to create such feelings or reactions. But my personal engagement during and after reading Hide and Seek is repulsion. I am repulsed by this disgusting tale. I am angered by its characters. And, perhaps most importantly, I am revolted by the fact that I couldn’t help but read the book in its entirety in one setting. I even skipped watching the ...more
Subha Prasad
*Minor, inconsequential spoilers present*
For about the first 250 pages, this book was terribly disappointing. It had a few racy sex scenes, an uninteresting, rapey dude with MPD, plus, an annoying narrator who seemed to be telling her sob story about how celebrity status is so taxing, and full of hardships. Idiots.
It starts off as the journal of the aforesaid annoying narrator. Apparently, she has been convicted of murder of her celebrity husband, and is penning down her side of the story to app
Sanara♥
Sep 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
1/5 stars

I've read 3 other James Patterson books before this one and I really enjoyed reading them. But this book has been a total disappointment!

"Maggie Bradford is on trial for murder- in the celebrity trial of the decade. As one of the world's best-loved singer-songwriters, she she seens to have it all. So how could she have murdered not just one, but two of her husbands?
Will Shepherd was Maggie's second husband. A magnificent athlete and film star, he was just as famous. But Will has dark,
David Roberts
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am reviewing the book Hide And Seek by James Patterson which is an excellent thriller which I bought from a local secondhand bookstore. This book is a stand alone thriller & is one of Patterson's best books. The plot is there is a successful lady who is a country and western singer, & she has got married twice and it looks like she has shot both husbands. In the first case her husband was high on coke & was ransacking the house looking for her and her daughter intent on killing the ...more
Alpha Felix
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Hide and Seek highlights the intriguing life of Maggie Bradford and Will Shepherd behind their bitterly-wicked past and dimming lights of their present stardom – disgruntled, dangerous, provocative, and indecisive.

Though there are various low points wherein I found myself wanting to turn and skip some of the pages, the excitement will only endures on the concluding chapters of the storyline. It’s a slow-phased drama that will leave you dangling for the truth and final answers after sequence
Karen Bainbridge
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: murder mystery buffs, Patterson fans and anyone who loves great books!
Recommended to Karen by: me from when it first came out
Shelves: reread
This is a book I read a long time ago when it first came out in the late 1990's, extremely interesting the way the juridical courts and their attendants work ie: the judge, lawyers & jury. The tale of a rich and powerful woman who because of her captivating voice is known to millions. Hers was supposed to be the marriage of the century, with her husband being a famous athelete. Maggie(I think that's her name.. too lazy to go over to the book shelf to check) is accused of murdering him, as t ...more
Shehab El-Hariry
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patterson's style makes you feel like you're watching a movie with the fast paced events, the skilful manipulation of timeline and the great character structure.
you can easily relate to Maggie. A good person that just want to follow her dreams of singing and song writing and escaping from the horrible memories of her life. Sadly, tragedy always follow her.
You meet Will,the psychopathic killer with the charming manner and the ability to achieve most of his dreams through his good looks and athlet
Tammy
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Maybe I finished this book in a day because it's very interesting. Or maybe I finished it because I got nothing better to do. That aside, the book is interesting enough for me to keep flipping the pages. And honestly, when the book ended all I could think was I hope I wasn't as bad in love like Maggie. Ho boy, that won't be good. Jokes aside, overall the book was well executed, but not the best of the best. It could do so much better and the only time I actually got interested was near the end w ...more
Jamie Emerson
Jan 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
The worst book I've ever finished, Hide and Seek is dreadfully and, at times, embarrassingly written. Its plotting is ludicrous and gives the impression of an extended game of "Consequences" stretched into a novel. However, this did mean that I wanted to finish the book, to see how the ridiculousness would be resolved. I can only summise that it doesn't represent Patterson's usual standard. If it does, his popularity is baffling to me.
Rohit Enghakat
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thriller
Nothing much to add except the characters are deeply etched and woven in the plot. Not much of a suspense but what the book lacks makes up in the prose and language of the book. No wonder the writer is so prolific.
Hannah
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good, fast paced thriller that had my heart racing and had me turning the pages as quickly as possible to see what would happen next. In shocked that I didn't see the final twist coming, I'm usually more astute. This book gripped me and I liked it.
Kay
Jan 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Shelves: mystery
Not a Cross book, but it is very good [and before he let others write a book he put his name on!]
robert hinkle
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible

Awesome I really Loved this book James patterson really is a fantastic writer and my all time favorite writer!!! Thank you James
Ending 1 11 Feb 28, 2015 10:08PM
Really push puts the p 1 7 Nov 18, 2014 11:44PM
Hide And Seek 2 18 Jan 06, 2013 03:22AM
English 11 1B/D: Hide And Seek 1 8 Dec 03, 2012 07:31AM
  • Chosen Prey (Lucas Davenport, #12)
  • Unnatural Exposure (Kay Scarpetta, #8)
  • Janet Evanovich Three and Four Two-Book Set (Stephanie Plum, #3-4)
  • N is for Noose (Kinsey Millhone, #14)
  • Chasing the Dime
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • Absolute Fear (New Orleans, #4)
  • Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake, #2)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • South of Heaven
  • Chance (Spenser, #23)
  • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
  • Silent Treatment
  • Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2)
  • Cold Fire / Hideaway / The Key to Midnight
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 375 million books worldwide and currently holds the Guinness World
More about James Patterson

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Not by Sight (Ozark Mountain Trilogy #1)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Winner Take All (John Rain #3)
  • Twist of Faith
  • The Most Dangerous Animal of All
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Night Villa
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Circle of Bones (The Shipwreck Adventures, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Murder of Mary Russell (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #14)
    $11.99 $1.99