Who's Your Author? discussion

Let's talk about... > Authors Use Pseudonyms

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Today I found out Molly Harper has a new book out under her pen name ... the book is From Russia With Clawsby Jacey Conrad, Gia Corona

I wonder why she switched names it makes sense when authors do it to change genres like Kinley MacGregor (historical romance) vs Sherrilyn Kenyon (PNR) or JD Robb (which is like futuristic suspense) vs Nora Roberts (romance).

But this feels a bit like a Jayne Ann Krentz/Jayne Castle/ Amanda Quick which has never made sense to me.

Anyways will anyone read the new book and which authors with pen names or pseudonyms confuse you?

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments I'm really looking forward to the new Molly Harper book. It makes sense that she uses a pen name as she is writing with someone else.

It seems that authors use a different name when they are exploring a new genre and don't want a lot of pressure.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Dawn wrote: "But this feels a bit like a Jayne Ann Krentz/Jayne Castle/ Amanda Quick which has never made sense to me."

JAK has the same division of genres. Amanda Quick is historical romance, Jayne Ann Krentz is romantic suspense and Jayne Caste is futuristic romance.

message 4: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments @ Darcy I totally understand what you mean but with Molly Harper though it seems weird because they are using two names and it is still PNR

I guess to me when Larissa Ion did it with Sydney Croft that kind of made sense because it was two people who combined into one author.

I did buy the book though.

message 5: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Lauren wrote: "Dawn wrote: "But this feels a bit like a Jayne Ann Krentz/Jayne Castle/ Amanda Quick which has never made sense to me."

JAK has the same division of genres. Amanda Quick is historical romance, Jay..."

Ah who knew...thanks

message 6: by Joseph (last edited Aug 20, 2015 06:13AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 203 comments Darcy wrote: "t seems that authors use a different name when they are exploring a new genre and don't want a lot of pressure."

I can certainly understand that when they are just getting started. I just wish once they are firmly anchored they would make it well know that they have written under other names and what those names are, so we readers who discovered them long after they tried this experiment and found it worked just fine would know there are those other works under other names we can look for.

message 7: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments It seems like with Social Media authors are letting people know. I like Kit Rocha, who used to write under Moira Rogers. They did a blast out on their Kit Rocha page about a new name they will be writing under, Joelle Knox.

For them the different names make sense, as each is a different genre. There are people that have hot buttons and if you know pretty much anything goes with their Kit Rocha name you should probably skip that, but would be ok to read their other books.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1 comments I can't wait to read From Russia With Claws, already have it on my e-reader. I've read some of the short stories in the Facile Restaurant series by Jayce/Gia and enjoyed them. They are not paranormal by anymeans, but I can see Molly's snarky humour in some aspects of the stories. Branding is such an intregal part of the publishing industry that it makes sense that authors would want to separate their various genres. Had I seen Molly Harper on the cover, I would have immediately figured the book was shifter/vampire. I'm just curious, if Jayce is Molly and she has come forward to announce this new pen name, who is Gia??

message 9: by hIpnoticraQs (new)

hIpnoticraQs (raqnbelly) | 36 comments I'm trying to figure out who Ruby Dixon is.

message 10: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (last edited Jul 11, 2017 04:36AM) (new)

Sandra | 4452 comments That's a tough one. She's very good at not giving any hints.

Not even anything on her copyright page on the book of hers I own.

message 11: by hIpnoticraQs (new)

hIpnoticraQs (raqnbelly) | 36 comments I always imagine her as a really old lady who wears a plaid skirt, something unexpected.

message 12: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4452 comments Does she have a fetish for ice and barbarians along with the plaid?

message 13: by hIpnoticraQs (new)

hIpnoticraQs (raqnbelly) | 36 comments Her hair is in a bun, maybe a cane. That's how I envision all mysterious authors, including chuck tingle.

message 14: by Josie (new)

Josie Jaffrey (josiejaffrey) | 18 comments Ah, Chuck Tingle. His writing makes me do my ugly snorting laugh.

message 15: by hIpnoticraQs (new)

hIpnoticraQs (raqnbelly) | 36 comments I think his biography is a joke. He mentions being a grandmaster in martial arts, but describes it as being nearly a black belt.

message 16: by Josie (new)

Josie Jaffrey (josiejaffrey) | 18 comments Isn't everything about him a joke? He cracks me up.