What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Middle Grade, Late 80's, A kid gets sucked into a video game. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cristi-Lael (new)

Cristi-Lael So, when I was in 5th or 6th grade, 1988 or so, I read a book that I loved. It's the first book I remember where I wanted to read more than I wanted to do anything else. It's the first book I wanted to devour.
I don't remember much about it, really. It must have been a middle grade book. There was a kid who got sucked into a video game. The first couple of times he thought it was fun and enjoyed it, but then he discovered he'd soon not be able to get out of the game. I'm pretty sure he had to defeat a bad guy to get out of the game in the end.
I wish I could offer up more information. I just don't remember any more. I mean, this was nearly 20 years ago. But I remember loving it so much. Hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction.

message 2: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 277 comments Was it a game played on a computer, in a console on a TV (like Nintendo), or in an arcade?

message 3: by Cristi-Lael (new)

Cristi-Lael I want to say it was a game he brought home, like an Atari or Nintendo game. I'm pretty sure it wasn't arcade, but I could be wrong. I really wish I could remember more about this book.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37621 comments Mod
Labyrinth of Reflections?

That was the solution to this thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If that's not it, check out the other suggestions in the thread.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37621 comments Mod
Keeper of the Kingdom?

If that's not it, check out the other suggestions in that thread too.

message 6: by Jancee (new)

Jancee Tabacnic (janceetabacnic) | 7 comments Sounds kind of like Heir Apparent, although the main character in that book is a female.

message 7: by Cristi-Lael (new)

Cristi-Lael Lobstergirl wrote: "Labyrinth of Reflections?

If that's not..."

Thanks for this! I think Space Demons sounds pretty darn close. I wish I could remember if I got it from the public library or from school. I went to a Christian school back then, so I doubt they'd have a book with "demon" in the title, but I could have easily gotten it from the public library instead.
Either way, the premise sounds exactly right! Thanks so much! I think I'm going to consider this solved!

message 8: by Cristi-Lael (new)

Cristi-Lael Jancee wrote: "Sounds kind of like Heir Apparent, although the main character in that book is a female."

I'm nearly certain it was a boy in the book I read. But thanks for the suggestion! :o)

message 9: by Cristi-Lael (new)

Cristi-Lael Moderators, I'm not sure if I'm doing this exactly right, but please mark this thread as SOLVED. I am pretty sure the book I was looking for is Space Demons.

Thanks! This group rocks!

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32334 comments Mod
Space Demons by Gillian Rubinstein for the link.