Read Runners discussion

Buddy up and read! > In Wodehouse Territory

Comments Showing 1-50 of 283 (283 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments A thread for those who'd like to foray into the works of an author who needs little introduction
P.G. Wodehouse

Ruchi and I are planning to get started on this, but anyone interested can join in and make this an engaging journey.

message 2: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments @Ruchi, I haven't read any Wodehouse before. Any suggestions on which series we can start with? I was planning to get started on the jeeves series, Right Ho Jeeves in particular since that was most recommended by a friend.

message 3: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments @Smitha, your favourite Wodehouse? I see that you have read a whopping 49 of them!

message 4: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Final, have read most or all ofmWodehouse. Was crazy about him in my teens. Love Wooster/Nerves series, and PSmith series. Landings series are one of the funniest. I didn't like his short story collections and standalone as much as the above few series.
Nerves made him famous, but I equally like the absentminded gentle Earl of Blandings.

message 5: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments read final as Vimal :-S

message 6: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Nerves - Nerves
landing - Blanding

message 7: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments nerves - Jeeves

message 8: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments Awesome Smitha.So Jeeves made him famous and Blandings is his funniest. The number of standalones he has also seems staggering.I just read a few pages from Leave it to Jeeves and am finding the subtle humour to be very much appetizing.

message 9: by A (new)

A H Hi there!

message 10: by A (new)

A H Which of his books do you have Vimal?

message 11: by A (new)

A H I'll have to go to my college library first...to check out all the books they have. Is that okay with you?

message 12: by Vimal (last edited Aug 18, 2015 08:42PM) (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments Your choice Ruchi. I have close to 50 of his books gleaned over the years, so what you lay your hands on should most likely be there with me. Libraries usually have the Jeeves ones and some of his standalones as far as I have seen.

message 13: by A (new)

A H Ok so I'll just check out whatever books they have and issue one. I'll reply in the evening.

message 14: by A (new)

A H Heyy. I went to the library today. Issued Right Ho, Jeeves. Actually there were so many books and I had no idea about the order of series, so I just picked one in random. Is that okay?

message 15: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments That's fine with Jeeves series, the books are not connected through the storyline. So here we go, I'll start with it too :)

message 16: by A (new)

A H Vimal wrote: "That's fine with Jeeves series, the books are not connected through the storyline. So here we go, I'll start with it too :)"

Ok yayy :)

message 17: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Bertie is sort of a flakehead, Jeeves , his much Coventry extremely brainy buTler who reads Spinoza and eats fish, which he accounts for his intelligence is always helping Bertie come out of troubles, most involving the fair sex. Those books are so funny, but you shouldn't read with an analytical mind.

message 18: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments much coveted....

message 19: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments Thats cool Smitha, exactly the kind of light read that am looking for at the moment. It needs to be engaging, and not necessarily analytical.

message 20: by A (new)

A H Yeah a light read will work fine with me...I'm also reading the fifth book of ASOIAF series so this book is just perfect as a side-read :)

message 21: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments Cool.. I'm side-reading it with Old man and the sea, and Mysterious Affair at styles

message 22: by A (new)

A H Woah! That's my favorite Agatha Christie book :))

message 23: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments Good to know :) I'm taking that book very very slow since that's my first Poirot and I'm over-analyzing each and every paragraph :P That's why a light side-read is a good thing for me now

message 24: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments never expect too much from Poirot too... -_-
He's good as long as you don't take him seriously.
When I was young, I used to wonder how nice it'd be if Christie and Poirot hitched up. :-P

message 25: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments Ha ha up until now Poirot seems not the one for hitch ups, but not in a Holmesian way though.No I'm taking Agatha seriously, not Poirot :P

message 26: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments oops. Not Christie and Poirot. Wanted Christie and Wodehouse to hitch up, with due apologies to their respective spouses.

message 27: by A (last edited Aug 19, 2015 07:44PM) (new)

A H I read the first 50 pgs last night. Love the sarcasm. Hehe.

message 28: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments Wow cool. I just got started too. Bertie seems to be a man of dialogues and internal monologues, and Jeeves is a man of terse and precise words. Nice combo :)

message 29: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments This Newt thing is getting quite comic isn't it :P Gussie Fink-Nottle is as weird as his name

message 30: by A (new)

A H Yes...the newt thing is funny...and weird :P
I'm done with the first 100 pgs...couldn't read anything yesterday...neither Jeeves nor Dance with Dragons :/
Actually my test series start from today so i may be a little busy...but I'll complete it by monday I hope.

message 31: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments Well, that gives me time to catch up, I'm only at page 40! Hoping to make some good progress this weekend

message 32: by A (new)

A H Yep me too.

message 33: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments feel like reading it now. So abundant to visit Bertie, Jeeves, Gussie and Madeleine Bassett

message 34: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments @Smitha, that's true. The characters r getting glued to the mind. Got to feel for Bertie when the Basset asks him if had ever thought if the stars were God's daisy-chain.Goodness.

message 35: by A (new)

A H How much have you read? I could barely read today :(
I'm just beginning with chp 11.

message 36: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments I didn't progress much either :( At around 20 % of the book now. Thoroughly liking it thus far. How about you? Liked it until chapter 10?

message 37: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Bassett is cute... :-) :-D

message 38: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments Yeah.. But Bertie seems to be at sea with her first name's homophone :P

message 39: by A (new)

A H How much have you read? I'm totally loving the book...read till chp 17. Bertie is so messed up but actually thinks himself to be so smart :P In fact...all the characters are weird and outright hilarious! What about you? Liking it?

message 40: by Vimal (last edited Aug 24, 2015 08:05PM) (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments Yeah, Bertie has stolen the show so far, by far :P It perhaps helps him more since its his memoir.I'm at Chapter 9. Enjoying the fine humour, and besides that finding the prose utterly captivating. I think I'll keep this book running through this week. You are nearing completion?

message 41: by A (new)

A H Yes, the book is very well written. It's different, and I had thought that I may not like it much, but now the major forte of the book is it's prose. I've another 100 pages to go.

message 42: by A (new)

A H Hey...I finished the book! Amazing, really :D How Bertie messes up everything, literally, every single thing but at the end, everything is sorted out :))

I returned the book today and issued Full Moon. I think it's the 7th book in the Blandings Castle series. Do you have it? Also, I'll begin that book in September, not before that.

message 43: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments You will meet the sweet doddering old man, Lord Blandings, who is lorded over by his two fearsome sisters.

message 44: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments Awesome Ruchi, Glad that you enjoyed it throughout :)
I'm at about the halfway stage now. Not getting sustained reading time :(

Cool, I'll check if I have Full moon. If I have, I'll begin it after completing Right Ho!

message 45: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments @Smitha, I can't begin to think that the Blandings combo can be funnier than the Bertie - Jeeves combo :)

message 46: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments It is, in a different sir of way. :-)

message 47: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments My bad.Not even one book in the Blandings castle series is in my collection. Will check if it is there to borrow.

message 48: by A (new)

A H Vimal wrote: "My bad.Not even one book in the Blandings castle series is in my collection. Will check if it is there to borrow."

Hmm okay. Or I'll read Full Moon quickly, and issue something else then?

message 49: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments Ruchi wrote: "Vimal wrote: "My bad.Not even one book in the Blandings castle series is in my collection. Will check if it is there to borrow."

Hmm okay. Or I'll read Full Moon quickly, and issue something else ..."

Yeah that may be prudent. Not finding Full moon anywhere.I'll join you in time for your next issue.Btw the shark has caused too much trouble here for Tuppy Glossop and co.

message 50: by A (new)

A H Vimal wrote: "Ruchi wrote: "Vimal wrote: "My bad.Not even one book in the Blandings castle series is in my collection. Will check if it is there to borrow."

Hmm okay. Or I'll read Full Moon quickly, and issue s..."

Yeah okay, I'll read Full Moon and issue something else :))

And yes...the shark created trouble. But I found Tuppy to be a really stupid guy :/

« previous 1 3 4 5 6