2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

The List
This topic is about The List
. Week 38: In High School > The List by Siobhan Vivian

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (last edited Aug 17, 2015 04:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Samantha | 122 comments The List by Siobhan Vivian
I was tempted to read Eleanor & Park again but instead did a search for similar books and this came up on a list of what to read after. It sounded like it would primarily revolve around a high school and so seemed good for this weeks theme.

I finished it quickly and really don't have much of an opinion. There were some serious topics but they never felt to heavy. I feel like perhaps some topics lacked substance and so it was more of a fluff read for me. I wonder if being so far out of high school and not having any children made it harder to connect with. I fell like this might have resinated more when I was younger.

A little about the book:
It happens every year. A list is posted, and one girl from each grade is chosen as the prettiest, and another is chosen as the ugliest. Nobody knows who makes the list. It almost doesn't matter. The damage is done the minute it goes up.

message 2: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
The premise does sound intriguing so it sucks that you didn't totally enjoy it. It sound sort of similar to Thirteen Reasons Why, which I also found to lack of real substance.

I may still check this out at some point :)

message 3: by Samantha (last edited Aug 20, 2015 05:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Samantha | 122 comments Laura wrote: "The premise does sound intriguing so it sucks that you didn't totally enjoy it. It sound sort of similar to Thirteen Reasons Why, which I also found to lack of real substance.

I ma..."

I still think the premise is good and played out in a mostly entertaining way. wouldn't try to convince someone not to read it but for me I wanted more from some of the story lines. In the end it was a reminder how tough high school can be and that no personality, click or physical type has it easy.