Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Stephen Guise
This topic is about Stephen Guise
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > Remove book from author page?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Guise (stephenguise) | 6 comments My account is showing me as an "author" of this book: The Healthy Habit Revolution: Create Better Habits in 5 Minutes a Day when I contributed a very small section for it. I don't want readers to think that I've written a new book when I haven't.

Could you remove this book from my author page? I'm fine with being labeled as a contributor for it, but I don't want it to show up as one of my books.

Cheers,
Stephen Guise

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44982 comments Mod
You are listed as a contributor. But it will still show up on your list of works.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Guise (stephenguise) | 6 comments Hi Rivka,

I don't want it to show up in my list of works. If there's no other way to do it, please remove me as a contributor.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Goodreads does not remove valid book data.

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Guise (stephenguise) | 6 comments Well, I hope you adjust your policy or display method, because right now, a book I contributed about 2 pages to is displayed under "Books by Stephen Guise." I didn't write that book. Derek Doepker wrote it. My contribution was quite small, and yet it's displayed as if I wrote the whole thing. It's a fine book, but I don't want credit for a book I didn't write. I don't care if it's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. If I didn't write it, don't make it look like I did. Why is that too much to ask, Goodreads?

The one thing I hate more than anything is confusing readers, and this will confuse readers.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Stephen wrote: "My contribution was quite small, and yet it's displayed as if I wrote the whole thing."

If you had, you would be the first listed author. You are not; you are listed 3rd and with the clearly indicated role of Contributor.

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Guise (stephenguise) | 6 comments That's a small detail on the book page. I don't care if I'm listed as a contributor on the book page. But many readers won't even look at the authors and contributors if they think they already know who the author is.

On MY author page and on MY other books' pages, this book is shown under "Books By Stephen Guise." It is not a book by Stephen Guise, therefore, it should NOT be listed there.

If you wrote 2 pages of another author's 150 page book, would you walk around telling people about this book YOU wrote? Would you say, "Yes, that book is by me."? Obviously not, and yet Goodreads does this exact thing in digital form.

Goodreads: "Stephen wrote this book too!" (even though he only wrote two pages of it, but we'll hide that information from you until you access the book page and hopefully you'll happen to scan all of the authors listed to find that Stephen is only a contributor.)

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14548 comments It is clearly stated that you are just a contributor. You could give your readers more credit, they can read, can't they?

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Guise (stephenguise) | 6 comments For the zillionth time, I'm not talking about that book's page. I'm talking about MY books' pages. Regardless of if people can figure it out, there is no reason for MY pages to mislead readers.

If Goodreads insists that my pages link to this book, it should clearly state ON ALL PAGES that I'm a contributor. A small note in parenthesis would suffice. But instead, it lazily clumps it together with my full size books as "Books by Stephen Guise" for maximum confusion. Readers should not have to investigate every book's page to find out that the prior page was incorrect.

I didn't write the book. Stop saying that I did. Period.

message 10: by lethe (last edited Aug 19, 2015 03:39PM) (new)

lethe | 14548 comments I am talking about this page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
It clearly states Derek Doepker as the author and you as a contributor.

Authors ask us all the time to add their names to books they have contributed to. Apparently they are not worried that their readers might think they have written the whole book, and why should they be? People can read, they are not as thick as you seem to think they are.

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Guise (stephenguise) | 6 comments Okay, that page is fine. No problems there. I'm talking about these pages:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

It clearly states "Books by Stephen Guise" which is patently false for one of the books. Again, a small note that I'm only a contributor would suffice. I have no idea why it's omitted here but present on the other pages.

It has nothing to do with how smart or dense readers are and everything to do with inaccurate information on my book page.

message 12: by lethe (last edited Aug 19, 2015 04:12PM) (new)

lethe | 14548 comments Oh, I see what you mean. The bit where the thumbnails are shown and if you hover over it, you only see the primary author.

This is not something librarians can help you with, this has to do with site functionality. Maybe it can be programmed in such a way that it only shows thumbnails of books you are the primary author of.*

You could bring this up in the Feedback group, or perhaps the Author Feedback group, or contact Support: https://www.goodreads.com/about/conta...

(*Although that would mean that secundary authors such as translators and illustrators would never have any books listed there.)

message 13: by Vivek (new)

Vivek Kumar | 1 comments Can you remove books from my author page that I don't own? My author page is showing 48 number of work that is the same author name as me but I'm the author only this book https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...
Please remove other work that I didn't write from my author page.
My book is- https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

You'll need to use the Contact Us link on the Help page to ask to be moved to a new author profile.

Also, please start new threads (or post in recent ones) rather than bumping up one from 2015. Closing thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.