Start by marking “Mini Habits: Smaller Habits, Bigger Results (Mini Habits, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mini Habits: Smaller Habits, Bigger Results (Mini Habits, #1)

Mini Habits: Smaller Habits, Bigger Results (Mini Habits, #1)

I had experimented with personal development strategies for a decade. When I accidentally started my first mini habit—and the changes I made were actually lasting—I realized the prior strategies I relied on were complete failures. When something works, that which doesn't work is exposed. The science in Mini Habits exposes the predictably inconsistent results of most popula ...more
Paperback, 1, 127 pages
Published January 9th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published December 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Mini Habits, please sign up.
Stephen Guise I read The Compound Effect after I wrote Mini Habits. It's a fantastic book and I find the two books are complementary to each other. The Compound…moreI read The Compound Effect after I wrote Mini Habits. It's a fantastic book and I find the two books are complementary to each other. The Compound Effect explores the concept of how small changes compound into big swings, whereas Mini Habits is a specific strategy to form habits (a strategy based on small changes). This is not to say one is better than the other. It depends on what you're looking for. They both contain some amount of concept and application, but I'd say The Compound Effect focuses on the concept more while Mini Habits focuses on the application more. I would recommend reading both since they hit such an important, life-changing topic from different perspectives. (less)

Soheil
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
تقسيم وظايف
توى روانشناسى عادت و تغيير، ما با چند بخش از مغز سر و كار داريم؛ اولى كورتكس مغزه كه در لوب پيشانى قرار داره و وظيفه ى تحليل و بررسى، سنجش و مقايسه، برنامه ريزى و هدف گذارى و به طور كلى وظايف منطقى انسان رو بر عهده داره. كورتكس، منبع انرژى مخصوص به خودشو داره كه ما بهش ميگيم "اراده". در واقع همه ى فعاليت هاى ارادى و آگاهانه ى روزمره، در نبودِ انگيزه، از اين منبع تغذيه ميشن.

دومى، آميگدال هست كه كارش، توليد احساساته. اين بخش، برخلاف كورتكس، اصلاً منطق و هوش نداره و كاملاً احمقه و مهم تر
Stephen Guise
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: people who want lasting change
While I wrote this book—and authors generally like the books they write—I'm giving it five stars because the Mini Habits strategy has changed my life permanently. Please take a quick look at my results using mini habits:

I'm In The Best Shape of My Life

I'd been wanting to build muscle ever since I heard that women like muscles. And being strong seemed better than having my arms mistaken for spaghetti: "Hey Stephen, you've got a piece of...oh...OH...no, never mind."

But I always thought I had to g
Sheri
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
A quick, motivating read. I encourage you to give mini habits a try if you are trying to get started with new, healthier habits. The concept is simple, yet appeals to so many. This is easy, I can do this. That's what you'll be thinking as you learn about the concept and consider ways to apply it in your own life. Small changes can lead to increased motivation and willpower, which can in turn lead to big results. Read this book for yourself and see if you aren't enthusiastic to give this method a ...more
Kati
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm not blindly giving this book 5 stars, or even because it was an enjoyable read (though it was). I'm giving this book 5 stars, because the concept works. Roughly a year & a half ago, I read an article discussing some of the concepts from the book. I decided to implement the mini-habit concept to starting to work out. I didn't do 1 push-up a day. I set my goal as 5 minutes of walking, every morning. Not going out for a walk, just.... Dragging my tired @$$ out of bed first thing, and as soo ...more
Leanne
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There is much to value in this book, but the repetition detracts from the message. I appreciated the references to studies and research, and found them to be interesting. Some examples and success stories from people other than the author would have been helpful.
Shannon
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed learning about and can vouch for the effectiveness of mini habits, but I found this book very repetitive. If you read the first half of the book only, you won't be missing anything later. However, I do think the concept of mini habits is empowering and have found that the strategy works for me in boosting productivity at work and at home.
هالةْ أمين

بغض النظر عن كون كتب تطوير الذات وتحفيز النفس عبارة عن كلام معاد ومكرر على طول الـ 150 أو حتى 300 صفحة
وبغض النظر عن كوننا شبعنا ومللنا في الوقت نفسه من هذا الكلام
لكن في بعض المرات قد تقرأ عبارة ما أو طريقة أو وصفة تنير في داخلك " لمبة " كما يقولون تضيء لك دربا خشيت أن تطأه قدماك يوما لأي سبب
بعد مدة من الزمن في القراءة والاطلاع والبحث والتقصي تكتشف بأن ماكان سيئا في نظرك لم يكن بذاك السوء الذي تتخيله , هو سيءإلى حد ما لكن ماقد تخرج منه يكون جيدا بشكل كافِ
وهذا ما سيتجلى لك من هذه الكتب , هي ليست
Diana
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't read a lot of self-help/psychology books, and when I do, I'm usually turned off by the "rah-rah-stare-at-your-navel-now-conquer-the-world" advice. Guise's book, however, turned out to be one of those books that has confirmed and shifted my beliefs that lasting change in almost every area of one's life can be achieved by taking tiny, or as he calls "stupid small," steps. When I think back on every major achievement I've reached in my life, I did so by breaking down the process into small, ...more
عبدالمنعم الهوسه
كتاب عادات صغيرة
4/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
العادات الصغيرة هي خدعة عقلية ، لنتمكن من خطو الخطوة الأولى..

الكتاب مركز على فكرة واحدة أن البدء بعادات متناهية الصغر يمكن أن يحقق نجاحاً كبير مع الاستمرار •
عادات صغيرة + تحفيز ذاتي + قوة إرادة = نتائج كبيرة
هذه معادلة الكتاب في اعتقادي

يعيب الكتاب من وجهة نظري أن جعل الكاتب كتابه وكأنه العصا السحرية لكل شيء. •
أعجبني في حديثه أن التحفيز ليس كل شيء. نحتاج لقوة إرادة

من المهم الانتباه لنقطة أكد عليها الكاتب : نحن بين الاستعجال في حصد النتائج والتطلعات الكبرى وبين النظر بتفا
Carleen
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-digital
This book *completely* resonated with me! I'm just not a "Type A" driven person and was frustrated with my lack of goal-reaching successes. Now I'm learning to think differently - rather than trying to find huge amounts of willpower (that I just don't have) in order to reach my BIG goals, I'm creating mini habits (that don't need willpower) and building upon them. Small, consistent actions that will get me to the big goals. I find the "tiny wins" to be incredibly empowering, too. Much prefer thi ...more
Ying Ying
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The content in this book is repetitive, but definitely worth reading! This book came timely to my life. I had recently come from rejecting meditation to having daily 10-minute meditation sessions. Through this book, I have understood why and how this transformation happened. I had tried a one minute meditation, went to 3 minutes and finally found that I could even enjoy 10 minute-meditation! Now that I know how this happened, I could perhaps apply mini-habits in other areas of my life.
Glenda Lynne
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I cannot believe how quickly I was able to read this book and implement the ideas in it! I also am thrilled at how fast I got results. My whole attitude toward life has changed. I was feeling overwhelmed and unsuccessful in getting some very important daily habits changed, but now I feel exactly the opposite. I've recommended it to everyone who will listen. It is so much fun to do! Wow! This is something I can do for the rest of my life!
Vivian
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sometimes a book comes along at just the right time for a particular reader; this was the case for me and "Mini Habits." I'd had a longstanding desire to improve my health and fitness, for a variety of reasons, but for the last six months, I've been stuck in a rut and haven't made any progress. It's as if my brain, or some part of my mind, is rejecting the behaviors I'm trying to implement, like exercising more and choosing better foods for my meals. I've been kicking and screaming like a child ...more
Paul Grenyer
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ve read quite a few self help books and while they always seem really good at the time, I’m not particularly good at following through. I guess I don’t necessarily have the willpower or the presence of mind to do what they recommend.

Mini Habits are different. They’re too small for failure.

There’s lots of repetition, which is slightly irritating until towards the end of the book the when the author hints as to why. As the author often says, you start with ridiculously small habits, the reoccur
Kim
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I'll admit I was prepared to NOT like this book. In fact, when I got it, as a first reads winner, my initial thought was, "gee, I'm glad it was free." And why was I so negative towards a book I hadn't even read yet...because the premise was absurd to me. It went against everything I thought I knew about self-help. I was a born and bred "motivation is EVERYTHING" girl. And here was a book telling me just the opposite. That I don't have to be MOTIVATED to make changes, I have to have just enough w ...more
Beata
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blinkist
I read this on BLINKIST.COM - a 15 mins summary of the entire book. I did the exercise of creating my daily new mini-habits list, and assigned reminders/triggers to actually do them every day (I set up separate alarms on my iPhone).

BTW - BLINKIST.COM is probably the best option for me to give business books a chance, because it really is not my cup of tea. Intro chapters always seem to reveal interesting concepts and ideas. But later chapters where you want to read about examples, practical app
Ongorn
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
คนเขียน ทีเคยเปนคนไรระเบียบ เชียวชาญกับความลมเหลวเมือตังเปาหมายใหญ
คนพบวิธีทำเปาหมายใหสำเรจ ดวยการใชกลยุทธ "กาวเลกๆ" (mini habit) ดวยตัวเอง
เลยคนควาเพิมเติม วาทำไมวิธีนีถึงเปลียนเกมได แลวเขียนออกมาเปนหนังสือ

ชอบวิธีเขียนแบบนี
เอาประสบการณทีทำไดจริง มาเลา
ภาษาเปนกันเอง เขาใจคนอาน วางโครงสรางหนังสือใหอานงายกำลังดี
(ไมรูตนฉบับเปนยังไง แตหนังสือของอัมรินทร How-to วางแพทเทิรนดีทังนัน)
คนแปลกแปลดี มีคลังคำเยอะ เนียนตา

ไอเดียทีนำเสนอกนาสนใจ
เชือวาใครอานจบ ตองลองทำตามแนนอน
Caroline
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Caroline by: Kelina Foley
To be incredibly cliche, this book changed my life. I now walk everyday (usually 30+ mins but at least 1 minute) and write in my journal each night (usually a few paragraphs but at least 1 sentence). I can feel myself building these habits without the angst and impending doom of inevitable failure from previous attempts.

It's certainly not rocket science but a huge thanks to the author, Stephen, for bringing the technique to light. And to Kelina Young for sharing the book!
Rob Thompson
About the book: Mini Habits explains the logic behind an innovative approach to achieving your goals. Motivation and ambition aren’t necessarily what will drive you to success; rather, it’s your small day-to-day habits that will really get you on the right track. Learn how to harness their power with these blinks.

About the author: Stephen Guise is a writer, blogger and researcher who specializes in personal growth and fun learning. His latest book is called How to Be an Imperfectionist.

My highli
Diana Shaffner
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-growth
Mini Habits by Stephen Guise is most certainly a mega-helpful book. The concept of mini habits isn't brand new but was perhaps never presented in such a 'fool proof' way. Mr. Guise takes on many of the so called motivational books that have hyped people up just to let them back down when the emotion wore off. The ridiculous but nonetheless persistent myth that claims it takes 21 days to form a new habit is also challenged. Some reviewers have mentioned that the contents of this book could be exp ...more
Scott Wozniak
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Fun to read and very, very helpful. Basic idea: if you want to build a good habit, start small--stupid small. Example, the author started getting shape by committing to do 1 push-up a day. That's it. But the ease of doing it (one day he almost forgot and rolled over in bed to do his push-up right there) allowed him to establish a real habit. And then slowly, once the habit was in place he increased the workout. He has applied it to many other area of life and is living how his last e is ...more
Kori Miller
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Part science;Part practical advice, this is my second favorite book about habit formation (after Duhigg's "The Power of Habit.") I pusrchased the audio version sometime during late summer.

The author explains why creating "stupid small" habits leads to success and never to failure. You'll learn why it's not enough for us to be motivated to do or not do something, and the importance of willpower in the development of habits.

This is a book I will listen to over and over again.
Richard
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Was a pretty good read and the concept is pretty simple. I am in the process of implementing the mini-habits principle for reading, with the goal of reading 5 pages a day. So far, I have been hitting the goal and generally exceeding it. I imagine that this principle will work for other goals, but I wonder how effective it will be long term.

The book itself is a little repetitive, but perhaps this is intentional to let the simplicity of the principle soak in.

Daniel Swensen
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Full of useful strategies for anyone who struggles with "motivation" or sometimes has to fight their own brain to work toward their desired goals. If you're constantly setting lofty, ambitious goals for yourself and then getting discouraged because you failed to meet them, this is the book for you.
Rachel
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the ideas in this book!

I'll try to update this review in a few months to share if mini habits work for me. For now, I love the concept and have a feeling that this mindset is going to work really well for me.
Tomas
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wakeup call for building habits. The message is that habits are not built by themselves, they need to be built by repitition, relying on will power instead of motivation. The book is well written and concise in actions that can be taken.
محمد هيكل
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
كتاب صغير اوي عن فكره انك ازاي تكتسب اي عاده ببدايه بسيطه جدا وتواظب عليها، زي مثلا في الرياضه انك تعمل هدف انك تعمل واحده ضغط بس كل يوم وتواظب علي كدا فتره طويله ...
Vivienne
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! You set super small, ridiculous like habits, to do once a day. Once you start doing the small act, like one pushup a day, you usually end up doing more. But on the days you are sick, or it's a holiday, or if you just don't want to, just doing one simple thing every day becomes a lasting habit. This was an easy read. I was captivated by the concepts presented and read it in one evening. I've implemented the suggestions, and although it's been just a few days, I'm 100% in my goa ...more
Garland Vance
I have been fascinated with habit and habit formation for several years and believe this book to be a breakthrough. While it deals with the science somewhat, it is far more profound in its ability to bring about changes in a person's life. Little habits at create "wins" are more profound that vast sweeping changes that a person tries to make. I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in forming new habits.
Ha Truong
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: development
Mini Habits system is just like a simplified Kaizen theory.

The technique in this book helps you to overcome the resistance for the start, and once it starts you can leverage the momentum to gain more. This first step is as important as the catalysts in chemistry.

This book is not only recommended for habit builders, but also procrastinators who are too scared to make a change for better lifestyle.
  • SMART Goal Setting Made Simple - 10 Steps to Master Your Personal and Career Goals
  • Don't Die with Your Music Still in You: A Daughter's Response to Her Father's Wisdom
  • Strip Off Your Fear: Radiate the Confidence Within
  • Soul Shifts: Transformative Wisdom for Creating a Life of Authentic Awakening, Emotional Freedom  Practical Spirituality
  • Triumph of the Lentil: Soy-Free Vegan Wholefoods for All Appetites
  • Kill Time Wasters: Regain the Control Over Your Life by Eliminating All Irrelevant Things
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Becoming The 1%: How To Master Productivity And Rise To The Top In 7 Days
  • 21 Days to Master Success and Inner Peace
  • The 3 Secrets to Effective Time Investment: Achieve More Success with Less Stress: Foreword by Cal Newport, Author of So Good They Can't Ignore You
  • Happiness Now!: Timeless Wisdom for Feeling Good FAST
  • Self-Discipline in 10 Days: How to Go from Thinking to Doing
  • Meditation: 30 Days of Meditation - Fun Techniques for Beginners (Relaxation)
  • Carrots and Sticks: Unlock the Power of Incentives to Get Things Done
  • The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life
  • Attention Deficit Disorder: A Different Perception
  • Life Unlocked: 7 Revolutionary Lessons to Overcome Fear
  • Transform Your Habits
“It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives. It's what we do consistently.” ― Anthony Robbins” 10 likes
“If you don't execute your ideas, they die.” — Roger von Oech” 7 likes