The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2015 > 30.6 - Donna Jo's Task: Me, Myself & I

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Aug 22, 2015 08:23PM) (new)

Sandy | 15903 comments Mod
30.6: Donna Jo's Task - Me, Myself, and I

Choose two different options and read one book for each. State which options you have chosen.

1. Me: Read a book by an author* whose name has "me" found intact in it. "Me" must be in that order. First, last, or middle names will work. Initials may NOT be used. Neither can names with the m in the first name and the e in the last--like Liam Elliott. If a book has multiple authors, only one author name must fit the task.

Some examples of names that do work include, but are not limited to: Jennifer L. Armentrout, Megan Stone,James Patterson, and Marissa Meyer.

**Only authors that are identified as authors (or a default blank in the author role field), co-authors, or contributors may be used for tasks involving author information. Other roles or functions such as editor, illustrator, artist, translator, introduction, designed by, foreword, preface, assistant or afterword may not be used for author-sourced tasks. Ask about other roles identified in a Goodreads record in the season's General Questions help thread.

2. Myself: Read a book with a Reflexive pronoun in the title, subtitle, or series title. Don't remember what a reflexive pronoun is? You may use Myself, Yourself, Oneself, Herself, Himself, Themselves, Ourselves.

3. I: Read a fiction book written in the first person - at least 50% of the book must be written from the "I" perspective. Nonfiction, such as autobiographies or memoirs, will not work for this task.
REQUIRED: Include in your post the first sentence from the book that demonstrates the first person perspective.

Some I've read in the last few years include The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, I Am Half-Sick of Shadows, The Mountaintop School for Dogs and Other Second Chances, The Martian General's Daughter, and The Spellman Files. I have a list of about 63 that I've read under "first person narrator" on my books page if you need suggestions. Donna Jo's First Person Narrator Shelf

message 3: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Books that don't work for this task!

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15903 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3929 comments I think this book James Earl Jones: Voices and Silences will work for option 1. Correct?

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1182 comments For option 3, will any of the "Bloody Jack" books work? I've read all but the last:

Wild Rover No More: Being the Last Recorded Account of the Life & Times of Jacky Faber

which I'm looking forward to reading. Great narration by Katherine Kellgren made this series really enjoyable on audiobook.

message 7: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Amy wrote: "For option 3, will any of the "Bloody Jack" books work? I've read all but the last:

Wild Rover No More: Being the Last Recorded Account of the Life & Times of Jacky Faber

which I'..."

Sorry, I'm so late getting to this. As long as the book is in first person (told by "I") it's good. I seem to remember reading the first book years ago and it certainly was.

message 8: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Will these work?

Option 1:
A Duke of Her Own by Eloisa James
eloisa jaMEs

Option 3:
Touched by an Alien by Gini Koch
confirmed 1st person POV here (first point under book 2)
http://www.books-n-kisses.com/2012/04...

message 9: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 802 comments For Option 3 - Fiction written in first person
A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander
"Having recently come out of mourning for my late husband, Philip, the Viscount Ashton, I was determined to adopt a hedonistic approach to society, something that I imagined would involve refusing all but the most enticing invitations and being forced to cull disloyal acquaintances."

I believe this one works for first person POV.

message 10: by Donna Jo (last edited Sep 18, 2015 07:15PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments puppitypup wrote: "Will these work?

Option 1:
A Duke of Her Own by Eloisa James
eloisa jaMEs

Option 3:
Touched by an Alien by Gini Koch
confirmed 1st pe..."

Yes, these should both work. Be sure to include first quote from book that indicates first person for #3.
And you chose well. I love Eloisa James (especially her fairy tale series). And I just realized I've read Touched by an Alien--must find the next book in series.

message 11: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments KSMary wrote: "For Option 3 - Fiction written in first person
A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander
"Having recently come out of mourning for my late husband, Philip, the Viscount Ash..."

I just recently read another Tasha Alexander and this should work as first person. Don't forget to include the quote when posting.

message 13: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Claire wrote: "Book 1: No Reservations by Megan Hart

Book 2: She, Myself & I by Whitney Gaskell"

Claire,
Both of these will work. Enjoy.

message 14: by Marie-Anne (last edited Nov 01, 2015 07:18AM) (new)

Marie-Anne | 613 comments For option 1: What if the e in the name has an accent? Does that still work? The name I have in mind is Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1) by Aimée Thurlo .

message 15: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Marie-Anne wrote: "For option 1: What if the e in the name has an accent? Does that still work? The name I have in mind is Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1) by Aimée Thurlo."

The accent is okay. Go ahead and use it.