The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

131 views
FALL CHALLENGE 2015 > 30.1 - Schatzie's Task: DNA

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Aug 16, 2015 11:35AM) (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
30.1: Schatzie's TASK: DNA

This summer, my sister and I had our DNA tested for genealogical purposes. It was fun to get the results. So, this task is centered on my findings. REQUIRED: Please state which options you chose when posting.

This is a TWO book task. Pick 2 different options and read a book from each.

OPTION 1: I am 20% NATIVE AMERICAN. For this task, read a book that has a tribal name in the title, such as, Pueblo, Shawnee, Arapaho, etc. Here is a link to official tribal names: Federally Recognized Tribal Names List. Please choose from this list.

Only the part of the tribal name that is in red letters can be used for this task, and if that is a phrase of two or more words, the entire phrase must appear in the title of the book.

Plurals and possessives are allowed. Tribal name must appear in the title. Subtitles and series titles are not included for use in this option.

OPTION 2: I am 20% SPANISH. For this task, read a book that has a title that contains the letters: S-P-A-I-N. The letters can appear in any order and they can appear more than once within the title. These letters must appear in the title. Subtitles and series titles are not included for use in this option.

OPTION 3: I am 17% BRITISH. For this task, read a book that takes place at least 50% of the time in England (England only, not other parts of Great Britain). If the setting does not appear in the GR description or the book's metadata, please explain how the book fits the task.

OPTION 4: I am 12% IRISH. For this task, read a book that has an inanimate (not living) object that is green on the cover. No trees, bushes, etc. The object must be a picture of an actual object - not a cover design element such as a border or lettering.

Examples: Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie dress Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson gravestone Waiter Rant Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter by Steve Dublanica guest check
The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian shirt.

REQUIRED: Please include the cover when posting and point out the green object.


message 2: by Donna (last edited Aug 21, 2015 05:28AM) (new)

Donna | 1177 comments works:

Opt. 4: green things: ceramic frogs, clothing, envelopes, car air fresheners, glass, houses


message 3: by Donna (last edited Aug 21, 2015 05:27AM) (new)

Donna | 1177 comments doesn't work:

Opt. 4: green things - anything living


message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 5: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Some green houses okay for Opt. 4

Sunshine on Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith


message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Some green houses okay for Opt. 4"

Green houses work perfectly Kathy.


message 7: by Bea (last edited Aug 16, 2015 06:40AM) (new)

Bea | 4093 comments Would the seal on the cover count for option 4? Flower Net (Red Princess, #1) by Lisa See


message 8: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Donna wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "Some green houses okay for Opt. 4"

Green houses work perfectly Kathy."


Thank you!


message 9: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Would this be okay for option 4?

The Boyfriend List 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1) by E. Lockhart

I know a regular frog wouldn't work but this one is a ceramic one :P Just wanted to make sure that a...fake living thing would be alright.


message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Bea wrote: "Would the seal on the cover count for option 4? Flower Net (Red Princess, #1) by Lisa See"

Bea, the seal works.


message 11: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Cait wrote: "Would this be okay for option 4?

The Boyfriend List 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1) by E. Lockhart

I know a regular frog wouldn't work but this one is a ..."


Cait, Fake frogs work. Sounds like a fun read.


message 12: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Is this green enough? Selected Short Stories Featuring New Corpse Smell by Nicolas Wilson
And what on earth is that thing called in English? Do you just say air freshener?


message 13: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Would this work for green object? Herself by Leslie Carroll


message 14: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Do these books work for Option 4?

A Walk Among the Tombstones (Matthew Scudder) (Volume 10) by Lawrence Block
Green glass bottle

Los siete años de abundancia by Etgar Keret
Green surf board

La Femme au miroir by Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt
Green dress and hat


message 15: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Camilla wrote: "Is this green enough? Selected Short Stories Featuring New Corpse Smell by Nicolas Wilson
And what on earth is that thing called in English? Do you just say air freshener?"


lol. I think it's air freshener, but I always call them "stinky car trees".


message 16: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments For option 3: The Heartbeat Thief

The description says "In 1860 Surrey..." and then goes on to mention London and Whitechapel, so I am thiiiiiinking that it is going to be at least 50% set in England.

Barring the synopsis being a total lie and my reading showing it to be 50% or more, that would work, correct?

I think my brain is melting trying to fit as many netgalley reads in as I can. :P


message 17: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Camilla wrote: "Is this green enough? Selected Short Stories Featuring New Corpse Smell by Nicolas Wilson
And what on earth is that thing called in English? Do you just say air freshener?"


Yes this book works and yes we call it an air freshener;)


message 18: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would this work for green object? Herself by Leslie Carroll"

Jayme, those look like clovers and technically they are a living thing. So it won't work.


message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Pia wrote: "Do these books work for Option 4?

A Walk Among the Tombstones (Matthew Scudder) (Volume 10) by Lawrence Block
Green glass bottle

Los siete años de abundancia by Etgar Keret
Green surf board

[bookco..."


yes on the green bottle and the green dress, but that surf board looks blue on my computer, so I will say no to the surf board.


message 20: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Morgan wrote: "For option 3: The Heartbeat Thief

The description says "In 1860 Surrey..." and then goes on to mention London and Whitechapel, so I am thiiiiiinking that it is going to be at least..."


I read the synopsis and 3 of the 5 places listed are in England, so I will definitely say yes to this. Good luck with your Net Galley reads.


message 21: by JennRenee (last edited Aug 17, 2015 06:43AM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments can the tribal name for option one be plural. for the tribe crow can I use Six of Crows

i see now it can. yay sorry for the post. i missed it the first time i read.


message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Doctor Who Only Human by Gareth Roberts

It looks like Rose (the blonde) is wearing a green jacket, but I want to know if it's green enough for you for option 4.


message 23: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Donna wrote: "Morgan wrote: "For option 3: The Heartbeat Thief

The description says "In 1860 Surrey..." and then goes on to mention London and Whitechapel, so I am thiiiiiinking that it is going..."


Thanks! I just signed up for it near the end of last month, but it has been pretty fun so far. Will be nice actually using them for tasks.


message 24: by Donna (last edited Aug 17, 2015 08:02PM) (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Megan wrote: "Doctor Who Only Human by Gareth Roberts

It looks like Rose (the blonde) is wearing a green jacket, but I want to know if it's green enough for you for option 4."


Megan, her shirt/jacket is definitely green.


message 25: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 912 comments Looking for approval that The Picture of Dorian Gray takes place in London , England This is the setting description from Shmoops
OK, on to location: Dorian moves freely between two major parts of London, the wealthy West End and the decrepit East End. In the West End, mostly in the super-ritzy Mayfair district, Dorian establishes his home, frequents various gentlemen's clubs, theatres, and symphony halls. In the East End, near the dock, the disguised Dorian steals into grotesque saloons-turned-opium-dens for an occasional high, and disgustedly rubs elbows with the various underworld characters whose lives he's destroyed.


message 26: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "Looking for approval that The Picture of Dorian Gray takes place in London , England This is the setting description from Shmoops
OK, on to location: Dorian moves freely between two maj..."



Hi Heather, It works. Since it isn't clearly evident from the GR desciption, please mention this message number when posting so that the mods will know it has been approved or you include the schmoop link so that the mods can see it for themselves.


message 27: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments would this cover be ok for option 4 ? or should I look for something more green? Perfect On Paper The (Mis)Adventures of Waverly Bryson by Maria Murnane


message 28: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Aleksandra wrote: "would this cover be ok for option 4 ? or should I look for something more green? Perfect On Paper The (Mis)Adventures of Waverly Bryson by Maria Murnane"

Aleksandra, this works perfectly.


message 29: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Donna wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "would this cover be ok for option 4 ? or should I look for something more green? Perfect On Paper The (Mis)Adventures of Waverly Bryson by Maria Murnane"

Aleksandra, this..."

Thank you


message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1665 comments For option 3 - would this work Evernight? It set in an alternate version of London.
Thanks.


message 31: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Lauren wrote: "For option 3 - would this work Evernight? It set in an alternate version of London.
Thanks."


Lauren, this works. Enjoy.


message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1665 comments Thanks!


message 33: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3769 comments Option3 - The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries - it doesn't say London in the description, but that IS the setting. He's a Scotland Yard inspector and SY is the metropolitan police force responsible for the city of London ...


message 34: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3533 comments Option 4 Where All Light Tends to Go by David Joy The truck is light green on the copy of the book I have in my hand, but does not look so green on the computer. Would it work?


message 35: by Donna (last edited Aug 23, 2015 02:37PM) (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Option3 - The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries - it doesn't say London in the description, but that IS the setting. He's a Scotland Yard inspector and SY is the metropolitan police force ..."

Hi Book Concierge,
I looked up your book for opt. 3. There is nothing about England in the blip. Even though he works for Scotland Yard, he could be on vacation anywhere. However, right above where other editions are listed it says [series Mrs. Jeffries]. If you click on that, it specifically states 'Victorian England'. So this book works. But please either mention this message # when posting or include that link so that the mods can quickly and easily verify.

Another option is to just use this book for opt. 2 or opt. 4. It works for those too.


message 36: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Andy wrote: "Option 4 Where All Light Tends to Go by David Joy The truck is light green on the copy of the book I have in my hand, but does not look so green on the computer. Would it work?"

Hi Andy, The color of your truck is a bit iffy. I can't really tell what color that is. Sorry. Hopefully you will be able to find something that is definitely green.


message 37: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3533 comments I think I will do an option that doe


message 38: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3533 comments Does not deal with coloi


message 39: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbaraallen) | 76 comments Will the green trim on the doors and the window work for option 4? Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg


message 40: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Barbara wrote: "Will the green trim on the doors and the window work for option 4? Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg"

Hi Barbara, Green trim works.


message 41: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Marianne | 110 comments Can these ones work for option 4:
El club del té by Vanessa Greene and Como ficar sozinho by Jonathan Franzen
Thanks!


message 42: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Kelly, both of those work.


message 43: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3533 comments Does the sofa look green enough to work for option 4 The Big Bad Book of Bill Murray A Critical Appreciation of the World's Finest Actor by Robert Schnakenberg


message 44: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Andy wrote: "Does the sofa look green enough to work for option 4 The Big Bad Book of Bill Murray A Critical Appreciation of the World's Finest Actor by Robert Schnakenberg"

Andy, the sofa works. I love Bill Murray. Have fun with the read.


message 45: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3533 comments Donna wrote: "Andy wrote: "Does the sofa look green enough to work for option 4 The Big Bad Book of Bill Murray A Critical Appreciation of the World's Finest Actor by Robert Schnakenberg"

Andy, the sofa works. ..."

Thanks


message 46: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 205 comments Hi Can this green wall work for Option 4?

A Homemade Life Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg


message 47: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Sam wrote: "Hi Can this green wall work for Option 4?

A Homemade Life Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg"


I can't tell if that is a wall or cabinet, but either way it works.


message 48: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3769 comments Option 4 - Green Dress: A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn


message 49: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1177 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Option 4 - Green Dress: A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn"

It works. Have fun.


message 50: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments Donna- That does sound like fun! Has it increased your desire to learn more about those cultures?

I'd like to confirm this book cover's green floral wallpaper for option 4:
Out of Practice Aphrodite (Book 1 of The Naughty Goddess Chronicles) by S.E. Babin

For Option one, several tribes are listed in red as simply "Mission". Will The Italian Mission work?


« previous 1
back to top