Adaptation: Book VS Film discussion

What are you currently reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments I'm currently reading a biography called 'Masters of Sex' by Thomas Maier which has been adapted into a tv show drama. (Showtime I believe is it's creator). It's about a team named Masters and Johnson who basically revolutionized how America looked at sex from a scientific perspective.
I started the series a few months ago, it's now in it's third season. The book is great so far.

Also reading 'The Book Thief' which was made into a film in 2013/2014. It stayed on the NYT best seller list for 8 years! and was highly recommended to me. So far I haven't seen the film and am half way through the book.

message 2: by Jerry (new)

Jerry (yjerry) I have read (Things Fall Apart and Jane Eyre ).They are all adapted into film.

message 3: by Astraea (new)

Astraea (astraeagroup) | 9 comments Going Clear. I wish they'd been able to include more of these details in the documentary.

Bluejay

message 4: by Astraea (new)

Astraea (astraeagroup) | 9 comments Jerry wrote: "I have read (Things Fall Apart and Jane Eyre ).They are all adapted into film."

We liked the Jane Eyre miniseries in the early 80s with Zelah Clarke and Tim Dalton. There was an excellent radio adaptation in the 70s, this may have been the Meg Wynn Owen/Patrick Allen one.

Bluejay

message 5: by Dara S. (new)

Dara S. (dara85) | 35 comments This year I have read The Pines a TV show on FOX and recently finished The Astronaut's Wives Club.

message 6: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments I really enjoy tv shows so i will look up the ones you have all suggested. Jane Eyre isn't my cup of tea with it being such a strong period piece but i have heard that people have enjoyed the film version also.

message 7: by Jerry (new)

Jerry (yjerry) The book itself is very inspirational.I have read it over and over but still wants to it again.

message 8: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Dara S. wrote: "This year I have read The Pines a TV show on FOX and recently finished The Astronaut's Wives Club."

HI Dara S. I looked up astronaut's wives and both the book and show look interesting to me. New material sourced already! :)

message 9: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments I'm also about to start reading 'White Oleander' 99 novel 02 film. drama. Ive set up a buddy link if anyone would like to join me

message 10: by Dara S. (new)

Dara S. (dara85) | 35 comments I just finished Girl With a Pearl Earring. If you like art, this. is an interesting book. Anxious to see how the movie compares

message 11: by Dara S. (new)

Dara S. (dara85) | 35 comments It kept my attention. A book with not a lot of action. I would give it 3.5 stars, not boring, but not exciting.

message 12: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Dara S. wrote: "It kept my attention. A book with not a lot of action. I would give it 3.5 stars, not boring, but not exciting."

good note. I'm not usually fond of period pieces . period settings, unless there is a specific character trait i'm fascinated with. when you watch the film make sure to make a note of how it compared for us :)

message 13: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments sitting in my new pile are
SEX AND THE CITY Candace bushnell (Tv series and films)
THE EXORCIST - William Peter Blatty (Film)
LONG WAY ROUND - Ewan McGreggor/Charley Boorman - )Tv series/mini-series/reality show)

message 14: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments I will be starting Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Fowler which I just found out is going to be a tv series. I dont know why but I always get excited about these things

message 15: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments haha thats awesome!

message 16: by Hester (new)

Hester (hesterprine) | 16 comments Maya wrote: "I will be starting Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Fowler which I just found out is going to be a tv series. I dont know why but I always get excited about these things"

Z is a good book, what channel will be airing it?

message 17: by Maya (last edited Oct 27, 2015 05:05AM) (new)

Maya B | 61 comments Hester wrote: "Maya wrote: "I will be starting Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Fowler which I just found out is going to be a tv series. I dont know why but I always get excited about these things"

Z i..."

Therese Anne Fowler, Author Rachel, it's an Amazon Studios production, so it will be streaming via Amazon when it's released--like their award winning show Transparent, for example.

message 18: by Hester (new)

Hester (hesterprine) | 16 comments Maya wrote: "Hester wrote: "Maya wrote: "I will be starting Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Fowler which I just found out is going to be a tv series. I dont know why but I always get excited about the..."

Thanks

message 19: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments This is via the author's page.......

The Z-for-TV pilot will debut next Thurs. November 5th! Available to everyone in the US, UK, Japan, Germany, and Austria via Amazon Video, no subscription necessary.

message 21: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Hester wrote: "I started The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy."

Oh yes! saw the film as it was highly praised (not a fan myself but understood it's review) tell us how the book is when you are done

message 22: by Lulu (last edited Dec 11, 2015 03:16PM) (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 37 comments I'm reading Beasts of No Nation now. It's currently showing on Netflix.

I recently finished Of Mice and Men and Madame Bovary

message 23: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Very cool LuLu how were they

message 24: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom film is called The Way Back (will watch after I've read)

message 25: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 20 comments I just finished girl interrupted

message 26: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Hester wrote: "I started The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy."

How was it Hester? vedict?

message 27: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Miranda wrote: "I just finished girl interrupted"

MY FAVE BOOK since I was about 17. What did you think? (short book isnt it) I cherish it, as it spoke to me.
The film is good but no where as near as the book.
i have perhaps 6 fave books and this is still one now im in my 30s

message 28: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 20 comments Oh I loved it loved it

message 29: by Astraea (last edited May 05, 2017 01:26PM) (new)

Astraea (astraeagroup) | 9 comments We think very highly of Joanne Greenberg's I Never Promised You a Rose Garden -- we take it out and read it about once every year or every two years. The film adaptation was terrible, although Bibi Andersson and Kathleen Quinlan gave excellent performances. We felt that if they had been given the real material, they could have done it. Also, Norman Alden as McPherson was perfect -- he had obviously read the book carefully.
Girl, Interrupted took a lot of its inspiration from Rose Garden and has become kind of the "Rose Garden" of the 2000s.

message 30: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Hi Astraea and family :) I had not heard of this book (but immediately i sang the song in my head :) i will look it up for the group

message 31: by Astraea (new)

Astraea (astraeagroup) | 9 comments Kerry wrote: "Hi Astraea and family :) I had not heard of this book (but immediately i sang the song in my head :) i will look it up for the group"

Thank you. We can remember a time when nearly everyone had heard of Rose Garden. Many people of our (physical) generation were extremely devoted to it. There is a theatrical adaptation which is supposed to be much better than the Roger Corman film.

Andy

message 32: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Astraea wrote: "Kerry wrote: "Hi Astraea and family :) I had not heard of this book (but immediately i sang the song in my head :) i will look it up for the group"

Thank you. We can remember a time when nearly ev..."

Yes I had heard of it and the phrase is very popular (1960's?) but the novel I had not known of at all

message 33: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Astraea wrote: "Kerry wrote: "Hi Astraea and family :) I had not heard of this book (but immediately i sang the song in my head :) i will look it up for the group"

Thank you. We can remember a time when nearly ev..."

I added the Joanna one to the group but had added a different addition to my own shelf (joannas 'as' hannah green?) would you be able to tell me the difference and or which to read pls? is it a fiction novel or nonfiction thanks andy/astrea

message 34: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments The Long Walk The True Story of a Trek to Freedom by Slavomir Rawicz is what adaptation I am currently reading (Film called 'The way back' ) i like survival or extreme non-fiction stories from first POV. some controversy around this as aparantly it happened to someone else who is not the author. I saw 20mins of film went 'meh' decided to read book first- seems like each act of endurance he survived (and i have not even got to this long walk yet) could be a book in itself - but it's not grabbing me completely

message 35: by Dara S. (new)

Dara S. (dara85) | 35 comments I just finished The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend The DUFF Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger . It was a good YA.

message 36: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Dara S. wrote: "I just finished The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend The DUFF Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger. It was a good YA."

I've heard good things about the film and book!

message 37: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments A Captain's Duty Somali Pirates, Navy SEALs, and Dangerous Days at Sea by Richard Phillips
is what i am reading. I saw the FILM ADAPTATION 'CAPTAIN PHILLIPS' with Tom Hanks the other day and loved it- Book is MEH.
he talks way 2 much about his childhood which has no baring on his ability to get out of a dicy situation

message 39: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Maya wrote: "When She Was White: The True Story of a Family Divided By Race When She Was White The True Story of a Family Divided By Race by Judith Stone

excellent book. the movie was ok"

I had never heard of this one Maya, I'll be looking at that one

message 40: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments I just ran accross this book myself about a month ago. I immediately read it. it was worth the read.

message 41: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I just finished "12 Years a Slave". Read it before seeing the movie, and it's much more intense. A few differences, but pretty much sticks to book.

message 42: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Leslie wrote: "I just finished "12 Years a Slave". Read it before seeing the movie, and it's much more intense. A few differences, but pretty much sticks to book."

I started to read that but accidently lost my copy ...... did you appreciate the book? whih di] you] pr]efer]]]]]]]]]]]?

Im Currently reading THE REVENANT and loving it!

message 43: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I did -- as I wrote, so much more intense than the movie, and more explanation of things. Hard to read (as far as the n word, and the floggings/beatings), but a good book.

Did you mean to write, "which did you prefer?" If so, I preferred the book. The movie is good too, but more info in the book. It was a quick read for me (and I'm a slow reader) -- it's one of those books where even though you know "what happens", you still can't wait to find out. (same with The Pianist)

message 45: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Did you like it DARA? feel free to share your thoughts on our]DEVIL BUDDY LINK :)

ME- nearly finished The Revenant A Novel of Revenge by Michael Punke and it is pleasantly surprisingly fantastic

Not that its a direct adaptation but Without a Doubt by Marcia Clark (SERIES- american crime story-The people vs OJ Simpson - is why i mention it) ...best book on case so far (she was prosocution)

and FINALLY
A Thousand Lives The Untold Story of Hope, Deception, and Survival at Jonestown by Julia Scheeres Which has many movies and documentaries ....... GREAT

message 46: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and The Stranger Beside Me Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story by Ann Rule (tv film)

message 47: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments American Sniper The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History by Chris Kyle

I saw the film a few months ago and was impressed by it. Cooper was wonderful. started reading it and Chri]s comes off as a bit of an A-Hole. However I kept reading and am now starting to enjoy.

message 48: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments Kerry wrote: "American Sniper The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History by Chris Kyle

I saw the film a few months ago and was impressed by it. Cooper was wonderful. started re..."

I need to read this book. I absolutely loved the movie. I've watched it multiple times

message 49: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Maya hey Maya. I'd boycotted the film as I had had a breakup with my partner who was military...watched it finally and Loved it! was so well done (I'd like to buy the dvd) def recommend the film to everyone. as i started reading the book i was really put off and almost put i]t down coz i wasnt feelin his attitude (u will c what i mean. he reads as kind of a jerk off..... BUT kept reading and now] its enthrawi]ng. u] shud def read....and let me know w]hat u] think ! :) xx

message 50: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Just finished The Shining, and I like the movie better. (found the book to be slow-going)

Not sure I'm up for any more Stephen King.

« previous 1