The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

180 views
FALL CHALLENGE 2015 > 15.7 - By the Numbers

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Sep 08, 2015 06:46AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
15.7 - By the Numbers
Read a book where the total number of pages (as stated on Goodreads) can be found, in any order, in the first publication date (year) of that same book. Example: A book first published in 2013 could have a total page count of 310, 213, 201, 320, etc. Numbers may only be used as many times as they are found in the year.

NOTE: ebooks without a print edition cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook, listen to an audiobook or read a Large Print edition use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.


message 2: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
placeholder


message 3: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
placeholder


message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments Any suggestions?


message 6: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 15, 2015 12:10PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Any suggestions?"

I don't know what kind of books you like to read, but I found these on my bookshelf:
I, Spy (Spy Another Day, #1) by Jordan McCollum The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2004 by Steven Pinker Fatal Tide by Iris Johansen She's Not There A Life in Two Genders by Jennifer Finney Boylan Wings (Wings, #1) by Aprilynne Pike The Girl Who Disappeared Twice (Forensic Instincts, #1) by Andrea Kane Blithe Images by Nora Roberts The Blue-Ribbon Jalapeno Society Jubilee (Cadillac, Texas, #1) by Carolyn Brown

I found the easiest way to find books was to have check the number of pages and date pub (NOT the date pub with the ed behind it, that's edition, not first published) under settings on my GRs to-read shelf. Then I could directly compare number of pages to date published. I still checked the main page of each book to make sure the data was same in both places, though.


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments I started looking through my tbr list but I have 850 books on my tbr list. I looked at number of pages and then clicked to look at the publication date. I was just wondering if there was a quicker way.


message 8: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I started looking through my tbr list but I have 850 books on my tbr list. I looked at number of pages and then clicked to look at the publication date. I was just wondering if there was a quicker ..."

Yeah, mine's pretty big, too. That's why I change my bookshelf setting so I could see the date published side-by-side with the page numbers. It's easier than having to click though on every book.


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments I found a book that worked.


message 10: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I found a book that worked."

Yay! ;-)


message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
Glad you found something, Wayne. Happy reading!


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments lot easier than going through 17 pages of a to be read list :)


message 13: by Teodora (new)

Teodora Paslaru | 76 comments Does this book: Hideous Kinky work for this task? It has 192 pages and was first published in 1992.


message 14: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
Teodora wrote: "Does this book: Hideous Kinky work for this task? It has 192 pages and was first published in 1992."

That works. 1992


message 15: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 868 comments I found Twenty Boy Summer 290 pages published in 2009


message 16: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
Heather(Gibby) wrote: "I found Twenty Boy Summer 290 pages published in 2009"

Yep. That fits!


message 17: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 802 comments Are we only supposed to use the year only or can we use the month and day if that is also listed?


message 18: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
KSMary wrote: "Are we only supposed to use the year only or can we use the month and day if that is also listed?"

Sorry, only year.

That's not terribly clear in the task description, though, so thanks for point it out so I can get it fixed.


message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1343 comments Bookwrm526

Just wanted to make sure I was reading this task correctly, does this book work?

The Strangers in the House

pages 194, originally published 1940. Thanks!


message 20: by Stacie (new)

Stacie | 18 comments Olive Kitteridge

270 pages, published 2007

Hope it works! Enjoying it so far


message 21: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
Jessica wrote: "Bookwrm526

Just wanted to make sure I was reading this task correctly, does this book work?

The Strangers in the House

pages 194, originally published 1940. Thanks!"


You got it! That works.


message 22: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
Stacie wrote: "Olive Kitteridge

270 pages, published 2007

Hope it works! Enjoying it so far"


It does work. I'm glad you're enjoying it. ;-)


message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I was only able to find a couple in my shelves, maybe these can help someone:

The Box: Uncanny Stories by Richard Matheson (First published 2008 - 208 pages)
Dark Matter: Reading the Bones (First published 2004 - 400 pages)
Dancing With Kings by Eva Stachniak (First Published 2004 - 400 pages)


message 24: by Dee (last edited Sep 04, 2015 01:09PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7586 comments zoinks i actually found one on my TBR!

Felicity Stripped Bare - paperback is 280pgs (and since i'm reading the ebook) and first published i 2008!


message 25: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "zoinks i actually found one on my TBR!

Felicity Stripped Bare - paperback is 280pgs (and since i'm reading the ebook) and first published i 2008!"


Yep, that works. ;-)


message 26: by Deedee (last edited Sep 05, 2015 12:42AM) (new)

Deedee | 2078 comments I know that pagecounts sometimes change in the goodreads database, so I just want to note that TODAY the book I'm planning to start reading over the weekend, Capital Dames: the Civil War and the Women of Washington, 1848-1868 (2015) by Cokie Roberts has pagecount of 512 pages and was published in 2015. :)


message 27: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3927 comments Deedee, since you have the physical book, can you confirm that the page count is 512, because Worldcat, which the GR librarians use, does not agree.


message 28: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
Deedee wrote: "I know that pagecounts sometimes change in the goodreads database, so I just want to note that TODAY the book I'm planning to start reading over the weekend, [book:Capital Dames: the Civil War and ..."

That works. If the page count changes, just link to this approval.


message 29: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Deedee, since you have the physical book, can you confirm that the page count is 512, because Worldcat, which the GR librarians use, does not agree."

I believe the page counts are pulled automatically from Amazon, Bea. I know the librarian manual says Worldcat, though. I believe that pre-dates the Amazon buyout.........


message 30: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2078 comments Bea wrote: "Deedee, since you have the physical book, can you confirm that the page count is 512, because Worldcat, which the GR librarians use, does not agree."

Drat! Why do they DO that? *sigh* I now have the physical book in my hand. (It was in the library on hold when I made my original post.) Anyways .... now I have it in my hand and the pagecount is 494 pages. I'm still going to read the book -- interesting topic, and I've seen Cokie Roberts talk on TV -- but I'll use it for another task.

For THIS task .... looking at pagecount 320 published in 2013 .... and others ....


message 31: by Bea (last edited Sep 06, 2015 11:13AM) (new)

Bea | 3927 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Bea wrote: "Deedee, since you have the physical book, can you confirm that the page count is 512, because Worldcat, which the GR librarians use, does not agree."

I believe the page counts are pull..."


Kristina Simon, Worldcat is still considered the primary source for some details, and page counts is one. Since Deedee confirms that the book has 494 pages, I have changed it since that agrees with Worldcat.


message 32: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Kristina Simon, Worldcat is still considered the primary source for some details, and page counts is one. Since Deedee confirms that the book has 494 pages, I have changed it since that agrees with Worldcat."

Thanks, Bea!


message 33: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Will this work? Published 2015 and 250 pages.

A Trail Through Time (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #4) by Jodi Taylor


message 34: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
puppitypup wrote: "Will this work? Published 2015 and 250 pages.

A Trail Through Time (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #4) by Jodi Taylor"


No, sorry. Book first published in 2014 -- February 19th 2015 by Accent Press (first published July 24th 2014)


message 35: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments okay, thank you!


message 36: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Please confirm

Her Forbidden Hero (The Hero, #1) by Laura Kaye
Her Forbidden Hero by Laura Kaye
(210 pages, first published in 2012)


message 37: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
puppitypup wrote: "Please confirm

Her Forbidden Hero (The Hero, #1) by Laura Kaye
Her Forbidden Hero by Laura Kaye
(210 pages, first published in 2012)"


That works.


back to top