The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

172 views
FALL CHALLENGE 2015 > 5.1 - Five Suns

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
5.1. Five Suns.
The Aztec creation myth of Five Suns describes 5 stages of creation, each of which was destroyed by some sort of disaster - the current World, the 5th, is supposed to be destroyed by earthquakes.

Read a book that includes a natural disaster, such as avalanche, earthquake, flood, forest fire, hurricane, lightning, tornado, tsunami, or volcanic eruption. This must be a "geological event or force of nature that has catastrophic consequences."
REQUIRED: Include a brief explanation of the natural disaster involved.


message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4091 comments Would fire qualify as in The Smoke Jumper?


message 6: by Jayme (new)


message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Ashfall"

that works


message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Would fire qualify as in The Smoke Jumper?"

that works


message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4091 comments Sandy wrote: "Bea wrote: "Would fire qualify as in The Smoke Jumper?"

that works"


Thank you.


message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1663 comments Would a blizzard also work? For instance, Ice by Linda Howard


message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "Would a blizzard also work? For instance, Ice by Linda Howard"

yep


message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1663 comments Thanks, Sandy :0)


message 15: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 911 comments Sandy wrote: "Ann A wrote: "The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl ?"

yes"


Thanks, Sandy. I love how the challenge widens one's horizons. I've been wanting to read a book about this event for awhile, and this task gave me that extra push!


message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Ann A wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Thanks, Sandy. I love how the challenge widens one's horizons. I've been wanting to read a book about this event for awhile, and this task gave me that extra push!
.."


That's the great thing about the challenge - I find myself reading books that I've been meaning to read for years!


message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1510 comments I'm not quite sure what a "comboquake" is, but would The Ice Cap and the Rift work?


message 18: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis What about a "massive solar storm"?
After: The Shock by Scott Nicholson


message 19: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Sue T wrote: "I'm not quite sure what a "comboquake" is, but would The Ice Cap and the Rift work?"

It's hard to tell from the description whether this whole "comboquake" may have been caused by this technology they found and/or some sort of enemy/terrorist attack, since all of that is mentioned in the plot. If you read it, and it's clearly caused by nature, not by technology or human intervention of any sort, then it works.

So, since I haven't read the book, I'll have to go with "maybe."


message 20: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Vicki wrote: "What about a "massive solar storm"?
After: The Shock by Scott Nicholson"


yes


message 21: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Is a smallpox epidemic a force of nature? Frog Music is set during "a record-breaking heat wave and a smallpox epidemic."


message 22: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
BriKie wrote: "Is a smallpox epidemic a force of nature? Frog Music is set during "a record-breaking heat wave and a smallpox epidemic.""

The epidemic doesn't work, because it's an event that requires human participation, not just a force of nature.

On the heat wave, does it actually have "catastrophic consequences"? It's been a couple years since I read the book, so I can't recall - but if it's just "too damn hot," that doesn't work. If people are dying in droves because of the heat, then it could be a "catastrophic consequence."

If that's the case, be sure to explain it in your post.


message 23: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Okay, thanks, I'll keep looking, Sandy.


message 24: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3765 comments How about ... Zeitoun

I've previously read and would recommend these NONfiction works:
Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital
Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded


message 25: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "How about ... Zeitoun.."

that works


message 26: by Bridgett (last edited Aug 17, 2015 06:17AM) (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments I think I might have found a possibility: Nation. Mau's tribe is washed away by a tsunami and he is the only survivor, until a girl, the sole survivor of a shipwreck, arrives on the island.

Also, maybe, The Age of Miracles?


message 27: by Angel **Book Junkie** (last edited Aug 17, 2015 07:13AM) (new)

Angel **Book Junkie** Would you approve Through the Fire? It features many fires that are set by an arsonist.


message 29: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Angel **Book Junkie** wrote: "Would you approve Through the Fire? It features many fires that are set by an arsonist."

sorry, no, that doesn't sound like it involves a "natural disaster."


message 30: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Teodora wrote: "How about this bookInto Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster?"

since it involves a huge storm, that works for a "natural disaster."


message 31: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
BriKie wrote: "I think I might have found a possibility: Nation. Mau's tribe is washed away by a tsunami and he is the only survivor, until a girl, the sole survivor of a shipwreck, arrives on the..."

those both appear to involve natural disasters, so they'd work.


Angel **Book Junkie** Sandy wrote: "Angel **Book Junkie** wrote: "Would you approve Through the Fire? It features many fires that are set by an arsonist."

sorry, no, that doesn't sound like it involves a "natural dis..."


After I read the thing a few more times I figured you'd say that ... lol


message 33: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments Here's an obvious yes for fans of YA, post-apocalyptic survival stories. It has meteors, earthquakes, tsunamis AND volcanic ash blocking the sun: Life As We Knew It.


message 34: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Beth F. wrote: "Here's an obvious yes for fans of YA, post-apocalyptic survival stories. It has meteors, earthquakes, tsunamis AND volcanic ash blocking the sun: Life As We Knew It."

yes, you're right............but where's the hurricane?


message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments Would Seveneves work? I think there's a meteorite storm.


message 36: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "Would Seveneves work? I think there's a meteorite storm."

I haven't read it, and there's nothing in the synopsis to indicate whether there's actually a "natural disaster." If in fact there's a cataclysmic event involving a meteorite storm, that would work.


message 37: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments Resurrecting Pompeii and Pompeii : The Life of a Roman Town are both about the 79 Vesuvius eruption. I assume either would work?


message 38: by Sandy (last edited Aug 18, 2015 05:30AM) (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Daphne wrote: "Resurrecting Pompeii and Pompeii : The Life of a Roman Town are both about the 79 Vesuvius eruption. I assume either would work?"

yes. The latter seems to focus more on life in the town before the eruption, but assuming that the eruption does occur during the course of the book (which seems a reasonable assumption!), it works.


message 39: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments Sandy wrote: "yes. The latter seems to focus more on life in the town before the eruption, but assuming that the eruption does occur during the course of the book (which seems a reasonable assumption!), it works. "

Thanks Sandy! Great challenge idea. Love the ones that let me use my non-fiction books :)


message 40: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Daphne wrote: "Love the ones that let me use my non-fiction books :)
"


I'm a big non-fiction reader, too.


message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 952 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I've previously read and would recommend these NONfiction works:
Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital
Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded"



Thanks for the reminder about these two books, been on my TBR for a while :)


message 44: by Bridgett (last edited Aug 19, 2015 04:41AM) (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments For those of us who like literary fiction, can I get The Book of Strange New Things approved?

From the description: "But Peter is rattled when Bea’s letters from home become increasingly desperate: typhoons and earthquakes are devastating whole countries, and governments are crumbling." Bea is a main character of the book.

Thanks!


message 45: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
BriKie wrote: "For those of us who like literary fiction, can I get The Book of Strange New Things approved?

From the description: "But Peter is rattled when Bea’s letters from home become increa..."


yep, sounds like plenty of natural disaster here!


message 46: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1510 comments Sandy wrote: "Sue T wrote: "I'm not quite sure what a "comboquake" is, but would The Ice Cap and the Rift work?"

It's hard to tell from the description whether this whole "comboquake" may have b..."


Thanks, Sandy


message 47: by Jonquil (last edited Aug 24, 2015 04:42PM) (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments I'm not sure if this is enough. In Murder on Tiki Island: A Noir Paranormal Mystery In The Florida Keys the protagonist describes (an actual historic 1935) "Labor Day Hurricane", the strongest recorded storm to ever make landfall in Florida. He details devastation, deaths, and includes historic photos in a roughly five-page foreword. Then, from what I can tell, there's occasional reference in the 1950s-set novel to "the storm". Is that enough, or does the hurricane have to be current within the narrative?


message 48: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Jonquil wrote: "I'm not sure if this is enough. In Murder on Tiki Island: A Noir Paranormal Mystery In The Florida Keys the protagonist describes (an actual historic 1935) "Labor Day Hurricane", th..."

sorry, this sounds like the hurricane is just a bit of back story, not something happening in the book.


message 49: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments Sandy wrote: "Jonquil wrote: "I'm not sure if this is enough. In Murder on Tiki Island: A Noir Paranormal Mystery In The Florida Keys the protagonist describes (an actual historic 1935) "Labor Da..."

Thanks, Sandy!


message 50: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2133 comments Would after the quake work?


« previous 1
back to top