Around the World in 80 Books discussion

600 Hours of Edward (Edward, #1)
This topic is about 600 Hours of Edward
Group Reads Discussions > Discussion for 600 Hours of Edward

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane  | 12949 comments Start discussion here for 600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster.

message 2: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane  | 12949 comments Goodreads Summary:

A thirty-nine-year-old with Asperger’s syndrome and obsessive-compulsive disorder, Edward Stanton lives alone on a rigid schedule in the Montana town where he grew up. His carefully constructed routine includes tracking his most common waking time (7:38 a.m.), refusing to start his therapy sessions even a minute before the appointed hour (10:00 a.m.), and watching one episode of the 1960s cop show Dragnet each night (10:00 p.m.).

But when a single mother and her nine-year-old son move in across the street, Edward’s timetable comes undone. Over the course of a momentous 600 hours, he opens up to his new neighbors and confronts old grievances with his estranged parents. Exposed to both the joys and heartaches of friendship, Edward must ultimately decide whether to embrace the world outside his door or retreat to his solitary ways.

Heartfelt and hilarious, this moving novel will appeal to fans of Daniel Keyes’s classic Flowers for Algernon and to any reader who loves an underdog. (less)

Jeannine K Lockwood | 12 comments I wasn't too sure about this book when I started reading, but I ended up loving it. All his routines and compulsivity helped Edward feel safe in a world that wasn't always kind to him. I loved watching him emerge to engage with the world and find joy, fun, and friends. I wonder how many such sweet souls are in our midst that we avoid because they are a little odd. A quick, but thoughtful read.

message 4: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane  | 12949 comments Jeannine, I felt the same way.

Mmars | 77 comments I have just finished and I was also so pleasantly surprised by this book. Hard to believe it was written in one month for a writing contest and it's a first novel.

message 6: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Sep 20, 2015 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane  | 12949 comments Mmars wrote: "Hard to believe it was written in one month for a writing contest and it's a first novel."

I didn't know that! He did an incredible job of writing the book. I look forward to reading the sequel.

Mmars | 77 comments Yes, actually written in 600 hours.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

600 Hours of Edward (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Craig Lancaster (other topics)