Start by marking “600 Hours of Edward (Edward, #1)” as Want to Read:
600 Hours of Edward (Edward, #1)

600 Hours of Edward

(Edward #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  11,094 ratings  ·  1,396 reviews
A thirty-nine-year-old with Asperger’s syndrome and obsessive-compulsive disorder, Edward Stanton lives alone on a rigid schedule in the Montana town where he grew up. His carefully constructed routine includes tracking his most common waking time (7:38 a.m.), refusing to start his therapy sessions even a minute before the appointed hour (10:00 a.m.), and watching one epis ...more
Published October 23rd 2009 by Riverbend Publishing (first published February 10th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 600 Hours of Edward, please sign up.
Debbie I haven't actually read 600 hours of Edward as yet, but I have just finished 'Eleanor Oliphant is perfectly fine', which I think would fit your criter…moreI haven't actually read 600 hours of Edward as yet, but I have just finished 'Eleanor Oliphant is perfectly fine', which I think would fit your criteria! (less)
Arlene Edward wrote and sent many letters of complaint to Garth. So many that lawyers were involved and Edward was no longer allowed to contact Garth. That i…moreEdward wrote and sent many letters of complaint to Garth. So many that lawyers were involved and Edward was no longer allowed to contact Garth. That is how his files started...letters of complaint that are never mailed. Just filed away.(less)

·  11,094 ratings  ·  1,396 reviews

Start your review of 600 Hours of Edward (Edward, #1)
Jules
As per usual, I’m sat here contemplating my review. I’m agog at how fortuitous it is that I came to read this book. I’m considering whether any of the characters were flamboyant, austere, tenacious, ostentatious, apoplectic, or exceptional. Through this book, I have discovered that I love the words rambunctiousness, discombobulated, and onomatopoeia, notwithstanding the fact that I struggle to spell the latter, however, that’s no great shakes. I find myself flabbergasted by how much I’m rocking ...more
Zoe
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Fact : On October 26,2012 @ 8:00 P.M I finished reading "600 hours of Edward" my day is complete,but I won't file the book away , I will want to reread it.

Dear Author, I have no complaint,in contrary, I want to thank you for this extraordinary (I love this word) book , for creating a wonderful and unforgettable character such as Edward.

❀Julie
A new favorite, 600 Hours of Edward was an absolutely delightful read that hooked me from the first page.  The main character, Edward, is 39 years old and happens to have Asperger’s Syndrome and OCD.    In this touching story, we get a glimpse into a 25-day period (600 hours), of Edward’s life.  It is the story of a challenging father/son relationship, but it is also a coming of age story in a sense, of how change affects Edward's life.  It was laugh-out-loud funny, and yet at times so moving I ...more
Robert
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the first time in my life, I actually felt like a hypochondriac. And for a day I thought I had Asperger’s syndrome and obsessive-compulsive disorder, my every movement tracked and accounted for, as my social skills dropped off a precipitous edge, only to return to normal the next day.

Edward Stanton rocked 600 HOURS OF EDWARD like Mick Jagger in his prime. His head (and mine) filled with numbers, as we tracked weather patterns, wrote letters of discontent, and consumed spaghetti and Diet Dr.
ȷαεlα
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone

This book was just wonderful. It is a book that makes you feel good; a book that makes you think about life, yourself and others; a book that makes you reflect.

The thing that makes me love the books where the MC suffers from a mental illness, is the absence of filters. They are the realest people. They don't refrain their thoughts or their words, they're always direct and they don't BS you. Never! There are no misunderstandings and no dramas.

Edward is a 39 yo man diagnosed as developmentally di
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I liked this one. This book was a bit different from what I would normally pick up. I heard a few good things about it so I took a closer look once I noticed that it was available to borrow from Amazon through Prime Reading. I loved the idea of a main character who is living with Asperger's syndrome and obsessive-compulsive disorder, so I decided to give it a try and I am really glad that I did.

Edward was a great character. I liked h
*******3rd read, 2019*******

I'm not sure what else to say about this book except that it is beautifully written and wonderfully expressed. You will laugh and cry. More laughter than tears. This read was so much more meaningful because it was a buddy read with my daughter. And we both loved it. The main character had a stormy relationship with his dad and my daughter and I once had a stormy relationship as well, so this book was a perfect one for us to read together. We hope to read the rest of t
Ron
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ron by: Dawn
Shelves: friendship
600 hours divided by 24 = 25. Yep, that’s about the span of days spent in Edward’s life during this story that is sometimes funny, sometimes touching, and all the time likeable. I’m not a fan of the e-reader, but I realized something soon after downloading and beginning 600 Hours of Edward. I looked forward to picking up that Kindle each day, with a book about a man who’s just a little bit different hidden somewhere inside its memory banks. Edward would appreciate that change in % progression an ...more
Paul O'Neill
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this 5-star read at 22:02. I have recorded it on Goodreads and my data is complete. It is my 112th book of the year and it is one of my favourites.

I don't cry at books much at all. This book is one of two books that have made me cry this year. (The other is Boy's Life, which is probably my book of the year).

I went into this not knowing what to expect really. It started off slowly, getting to know the main character, Edward and all his quirks which provide many a funny moment. And th
TL
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Shaun
Shelves: favorites
“I tried eHarmony, because I liked the white hair and glasses of that guy on the commercials, and his manner was gentle, but eHarmony told me that the system and it's twenty nine levels of compatibility couldn't find anyone for me.
That hurt my feelings.”

“I prefer facts, but sometimes sense is all you have to go on.”

“I have not seen a man over there, and so I wonder whether my neighbor has a husband or her boy has a father. I would be sad to think that he doesn’t, but having a father isn’t nece
Holly
5+++ stars.

A beautifully written story about a 39 yr old man suffering from both OCD and Aspergers syndrome. I have so many emotions about this book, and I really need a few days to process them all before writing a proper review. I will say right now that this was one of the best books I have ever read, and that Edward is by far one of the most endearing characters I have ever been introduced to.

*ETA*

I am going to keep this short and sweet, since it has been a few weeks since i finished this b
Sofia
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sofia by: Maya
Shelves: 2016, eagerly-read

The Triumph of Connection - Connecting any which way possible.

Loved reading this. I've made an Edward shaped place in my heart for him to stay in.

Great writing Mr Lancaster, I even came to expect the necessary data we have to complete every day, quite necessary, it shows where we are. I call the letters of complaint - letters of connection, they are the communication that Edward is unable to have face to face.

I feel quite bereft now that I finished the last page.
Noeleen
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What an absolute little gem of a book! Great characters, great story and so very well written. Loved it! Edward is such an adorable character that you absolutely cannot help falling in love with him. There are many laugh out loud moments nicely counterbalanced with many heartbreaking moments, most especially his turbulent relationship with his father. We could all learn lessons from Edward through his thoughts and perspectives on life. I adored his 'letters of complaints' and I want to watch Dra ...more
Sonja Arlow
Nov 23, 2015 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars

Edward has OCD and Asperger’s. One is treated with medication and therapy while the other just form parts of who he is.

Edward also struggles to let grudges go, to let injustice and the perceived bad behaviour of others go unchecked. To help with this letting go, his therapist suggests that he write letters of grievance to the other parties but with strict instructions NEVER to actually send them. But rather to use this as a way to clear the air in Edwards mind. These letters made for
Trudy
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS! I just spent 600 delightful, intense, happy, annoying, enlightening, frustrating, hopeful hours , in the life of Edward Staton, a 39 year old man with a developmental disability. Although, people on this spectrum can vary quite a bit, many of Edward's "hours" reminded me of my precious son, Kevin. I'm very thankful for this book, and others, which give people insight into the world of this ever growing, segment of our population. My hope is that people will become more accepting and u ...more
Linda
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was on a bus for about 3 ½ hours, today, so I was glad that I paid $1.99 for the audible add-on. I have never regretted an audible-add on, yet. You can’t beat the kindle-sync feature. The narrator was excellent. I wanted to wait and finish book on my commute over the next few days, but curiosity got the better of me, and I finished it when I got home.

This book is very easy reading. Edward, the main character, is endearing. I’m pretty sure that a real person could not experience so much growth
Bill Lynas
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Craig Lancaster tells a tale of Edward Stanton, a man with OCD & Asperger's syndrome & how he records his life changing during an important 600 hours. Stanton is a marvellous character & the author brings him to life so well you can almost believe you are reading the diary of a real person.
There are endless moments to make you smile throughout this story & Edward's interactions with other people are wonderfully told.
Some readers may find his repeated entries about the weather & the TV series Dr
LenaRibka
OMG.

It is my first book of 2019. AND THIS BOOK IST SIMPLY FANTASTIC. It makes me hope for a great 2019 Reading Year!

I don't even know WHY I decided to start it on the 30th December, because I normally read a silly romance novel into the New Year and NORMALLY a book about a thirty-nine-year-old man with Asperger’s syndrome and obsessive-compulsive disorder is not my first choice.

Edward Stanton is...incredible. His first person POV is...a reading pleasure(?). The writing is brilliant. The story i
Gail
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autism, fiction
It does seem there is rather a trend for novels with autistic narrators written by non-autistic authors, and they seem to go along something like this:

'I woke up at precisely 7:23am - I knew this from turning my head a 90 degree angle and seeing the digital clock on my bedside table. This is two minutes later than the average time I have woken up so far this year (there have been 233 days so far because it's a leap year). I keep a chart of it, along with the numbers of left turns and right turns
Julie
Apr 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! I found myself smiling broadly and even laughing out loud while I read it. The premise of the story was no laughing matter, however. Mental illness is always a tough subject for an author to tackle in a fictional setting. I can't imagine the difficulty they encounter trying to capture and illustrate the issues a mentally ill subject must deal with while at the same time ensuring that the character doesn't come across as "too crazy". Mr. Lancaster has done a superb job work ...more
Joel Hames
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I expect this will be the best book I will read in 2016, although (obviously) I have, as yet, no data on that.
A wonderful, warm, utterly compelling portrait of a man at odds with the world he lives in, and tantalisingly close to understanding what it has to offer. The subtle shift in the narrative style, the gradual uncoupling of the prose from its formula as its central character is estranged from the routines that drive his day-to-day existence, is handled brilliantly, almost the perfect marr
Sharon
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what I can possibly say about "600 Hours of Edward" that would do it justice.

The author (Craig Lancaster) gives us a clear picture of all the participating characters in such a way, we get to enjoy feeling lost in the story as it happens. There are no paper cut-out characters here, this is fiction you forget is fiction. It's novels like these that make me swoon with awe that someone was able to *create* this. How? How is this possible?

"600 Hours of Edward" is a beautiful journey ev
Jason Pettus
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)

As I've said here before, although I'm a big fan and champion of small-press, basement-press and self-published books, after reviewing hundreds of them now I've discovered that such designations are largely a self-regulating system, and that 95 percent of these titles were published under the circumstance
Dree
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Books about people with mental illness have become quite a popular theme in recent years.

I've read a few of them now, but this is definitely one of my favourites. It's funny but not over the top slapstick, touching, but subtle and filled with characters that are likeable but imperfect - just the way I like them.

Edward is a lovely little book.

Listened to this on audiobook narrated by Luke Daniels who is the best narrator that I've ever heard. It makes such a difference!
Fishgirl
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. I hope everyone reads this. I am forcing the two people I live with to read it.

I'm back. That was far too short for such an amazing book, that measly little review. Two thirds of the people in this house have pneumonia. Yeah. The high fever, coughcoughcoughcough, wander around in bathrobes wolfing down handfuls of medicine designed to heal. It's been very sobering. Ramp up the vulnerability, oh, let's say 100%. That's about right. Me who can get MANY things done in the course of a day
Tulay
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read story.

While reading/listening this book, in some parts I teared up, at the same time I was smiling. Thoughtfully written story that will make you think, he just doesn't have problem with his father, he has problems with both parents. Because of his OCD and Aspergers syndrome, lots of things repeated again and again, to make us understand Edward character. At the end not only he made peace with his parents and looks like he will have a bright future too. He keeps very close eye on the c
Amy
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Eh...this book was and interesting read. I liked Edward, and he was relatable, which I really liked given his mental health issues. I was unsure how real his experiences would be compared to someone who actually struggles with Asperger's; I would be interested in reading a non-fiction book about this. I found myself skipping over the parts about Dragnet and the Dallas Cowboys just to get through the story. This book was just ok for me, so I won't be reading the next book about Edward.
Heidi Thomas
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit I began reading 600 Hours of Edward with a bit of trepidation. This is fellow Montanan, journalist and friend, Craig Lancaster's first novel and I wanted to like it. But, I wondered, 278 pages about a man with Asperger's syndrome who obsessively-compulsively records the exact minute he awakes each morning? Someone who eats the same thing for lunch every day, drives to the grocery store every Tuesday, and makes only right-hand turns?

Well, I fell in love with Edward.

Rather than a c
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Wow. I've heard a lot of things about this book and I'm ashamed it has taken me so long to get round to reading it.

Edward is such a fantastic character, you would need to have a heart of stone to not take him. I was actually quite jealous of Donna and her son Kyle as i really wanted to be friend him.

This is such a great book and it's one I really didn't want to end so was over joyed when I saw there is a follow up to it and I will certainly be buying it when I get back from my holiday.
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
The protagonist is a 39 year old Asperger’s and OCD sufferer who dislikes assumptions and conjectures but prefers facts. Every night Edward writes a letter of complaints but instead of sending these letters, on advice from his therapist (who is a very logical woman), he just files them in green folders for safekeeping.

The story is bittersweet, initially I was annoyed at Edward idiosyncrasies, but his behaviour is exactly what the character requires. As the story progresses, I became engaged with

• In the Light of What We See
  • The Garden Of Lost Memories
  • St Agnes' Stand
  • Survive
  • A Dangerous Trade: An Elizabethan Spy Thriller
  • A Dance with Fate (Warrior Bards, #2)
  • Silk Route Adventure: On Horseback in the Heart of Asia
  • Venus Plus X
  • The End of Time
When Craig Lancaster moved to Montana in 2006, at the age of 36, it was the realization of a dream he’d harbored since childhood, one that he figured had been overtaken by events, as so many dreams are.

“I have these incredibly vivid memories of visiting Montana with my folks on family vacations, and following my dad, an itinerant laborer who worked in the oil and gas fields of the West when I was

Edward (3 books)
  • Edward Adrift (Edward, #2)
  • Edward Unspooled

News & Interviews

“That's the problem with belief: If you rely on it too heavily, you have a lot of picking up to do after you find out you were wrong.” 11 likes
“The complaint lies with me, not with you. I never could find a way to make you proud of me, and at some point, I think I stopped trying. When you were here, I blamed you for that. I think now, the failure is mine... It occurs to me that death is a funny thing - not funny in a laughter sort of way, but in a twisty sort of way. It's the people who are left behind who have to grapple with the regret. The one who is gone is just gone. Wherever you are... I hope you have regret about what happened yesterday.” 9 likes