What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The House with a Clock in Its Walls
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Middle-Grade book series from the 90s, one character dies at the end of one of the books and coins are placed on his/her eyes. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz | 4 comments I am trying desperately to track down the name of this series of books (I believe it was a trilogy but at a minimum there were at least 2 books) that I read in the 90s. Unfortunately I don't recall many specifics but I know for sure that one character dies at the end of one of the books and coins are placed on his/her eyes.

I also believe one of the main characters was a mysterious, short, chubby grandma type.

If I saw the book covers I would recognize them immediately. I believe the covers were mostly black. The series was very dark and strange.

They were middle-grade level and were definitely new books in the 90s. Any help?? Thanks!

message 2: by Kris (last edited Aug 13, 2015 08:55AM) (new) - added it

Kris | 34407 comments Mod
Liz, what do remember about the location - realistic or fantasy world, U.S./country, big city/small town, mountains/coast/etc.?

Contemporary or historical?

What made the series very dark and strange; can you give examples? Paranormal, horror or suspense?

Was is about a family, a group of kids or teenagers, etc.?

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz | 4 comments I wish I could remember more of these details! I seem to recall part of the story taking place in some sort of creepy farmhouse in the middle of nowhere. I think it's safe to assume it was in the U.S.

I believe the main characters were maybe one kid and this grandma-figure. I think it had a paranormal vibe.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Liz, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz | 4 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Liz, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

I found it! The Letter, the witch, and the ring

message 7: by Kris (last edited May 09, 2018 11:18AM) (new) - added it

Kris | 34407 comments Mod
Glad you found your book series, Liz. Here's the link for the Lewis Barnavelt series by John Bellairs.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Bellairs (other topics)