What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Prospero's Children
This topic is about Prospero's Children
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. two kids go to yorkshire house and see a boulder or a "watcher" on a hill [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave Roberts (blackbooks78) Hi, I'm looking for the title of a book I read years ago about a brother and sister who go to Yorkshire (I think) to stay with some relatives. The sister sees a boulder on a far way hill that later turns out to be a man in a grey cloak that calls himself "the Watcher".

They stay with (I think their aunt) who appears to be a witch and has a pair of dragon skin gloves that fit anyone who wears them.

That's all I can remember. Any help would be greatly appreciated I'd love to finish this book I left half finished on holiday years ago.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
What is "years ago?" 5 years? 30 years? Is it for middle grades, YA, or adult?

message 3: by Holly (last edited Aug 12, 2015 06:16PM) (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments The Stones of the Moon or Raven's Gate?

And since you mentioned a boulder, is it possible that the story has to do with standing stones?

message 4: by Dave (last edited Aug 13, 2015 12:25AM) (new)

Dave Roberts (blackbooks78) Sorry for the lack of information. I picked up the book about 10 to 12 years ago on holiday (I have no idea of the release date of the book) and only finished half of it. I would say it's aimed towards middle grade and young adult readers...It was a kid's book basically.

And Holly (Thanks for the 2 suggestions they sound close). The main thing I remember about it is The girl sees a large boulder from the window of the house (I think the locals see it as a standing stone). But when she walks out there the stone reveals itself to her as a man wrapped in a grey cloak who is charged with watching for something. He has been there many years and is obviously magical.

Again sorry for the lack of clues.

message 5: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 10 comments It's been a long time since I read it so I may be wrong but try Alan Garner's Weirdstone of Brisangamen (I hope that is the right title)

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
The Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner for John's suggestion.

message 7: by Dave (new)

Dave Roberts (blackbooks78) Thanks John, It's not that book unfortunately as I recently read it. perhaps it's in one of the later books though?

Thanks for the suggestion :)

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Do you recall why the brother and sister stay with relatives (e.g., parents killed, summer vacation, war time bombings)?

What's the genre or tone - paranormal, mystery, adventure, angsty/coming-of-age, humor, etc.?

About how old are the children?
Are they from the U.S. or England?

message 9: by Dave (new)

Dave Roberts (blackbooks78) I don't recall why they went to stay there but a vacation sounds about right I don't remember any tragedy. It's an adventure book in the tone of the Wierdstone of Brisingamen (mentioned earlier) or the lion the witch and the wardrobe. The sister was about 11-12 and had a younger brother of about 9-10. They were British children.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Feb 07, 2017 03:25PM) (new)

Dave left the group. (Moved to Abandoned.)

Ayshe, how certain are you that is the correct book?

message 12: by Ayshe (last edited Feb 07, 2017 11:27PM) (new)

Ayshe | 4162 comments Dave left the group.
That's nice.

It fits the "brother and sister moving to Yorkshire" part (the synopsis of this edition: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...)

Review on https://www.amazon.ca/Prosperos-Child... mentions Alison, her father's girlfriend, who just might be a witch. and The old hermit, Ragginbone, or The Watcher, who at times is a rock..

And I just searched for "gloves" inside the Google Book's fragments https://books.google.com/books?id=2xR...
they were made from the skin of a reptile. snake or lizard; the mottled patterns appeared to alter in a changing light. as if....
She pulled on the right-hand one: it had looked overlarge but the fingers seemed to shrink onto hers. skin melding with skin. until it no longer resembled a glove and she knew a sudden terror that it would never come off...
chameleon gloves that grew onto hand and arm

I think it's very likely, but I haven't read the book.

message 13: by boogenhagen (new)

boogenhagen | 70 comments It is Prospero's Children. I have this one.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Great. We'll call it Solved.