Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Your first signed book/author signing event?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8262 comments Cheryl's comment in the Monthly Reads folder about Carolyn Hart being the first author to sign a book for her got me to thinking, and darned if I can remember my first. I want to say Dennis Lehane, Joanne Fluke, or Linda Barnes, but I just cannot remember! I've been to so many signings, and I remember most of them, but can't remember my first.

How about you guys? Who was your first?

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments jodi picoult was my first- and also my first time meeting an online friend. i think that coben might have been my second- and i went to see him with carol!

message 3: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Carol asked: "How about you guys? Who was your first?"

Dennis Lehane was my first and also my first time meeting an online friend: the lovely Ceil. We met in Grapevine, Texas.

Jan O'Cat

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (JaneNancy) | 161 comments If any popular authors have been in my area on book tours, I haven't noticed. We've had local authors at our library occasionally but they aren't widely recognized. I think it would be interesting and probably stimulating to be at a major book signing. But I don't need any more books. Sigh. I have to get books from the library because I really have to downsize, for my kids' sake. I don't want to leave them with too much to get rid of. Of course, I'm hopeing to be around for as long as possible, twenty years? But we don't have that guarantee so I am hoping to do what I can to help out. But I might break over for a book signing by a popular author.
NJ

message 5: by Gail/Ladyvolz (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments Patricia Cornwell when she was here signing for The Body Farm.

next was Brian Jacques, author of the Redwall series.

We don't have many authors through Knoxville. Especially after Davis Kidd closed many years ago.

message 6: by Melodie (last edited Jul 10, 2009 01:49PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments My first was Mickey Mantle. The second was Jimmy Stewart. Yes, Jimmy Stewart the actor. Must be close to 20 years ago. He wrote a little book of poems and did a signing at the Tattered Cover. Remember there was quite a line and he had the nicest smile! Then would be Clive Cussler, Jimmy Carter and Dolly Parton. I went to the Mantle signing to get a book signed for DH for his birthday. Didn't really expect much because I wasn't a baseball fan as a kid, but when I made it to the table and he stuck out this huge hand and said, "Hi! I'm Mickey Mantle", I was a bit awestruck. Wish DH had actually been there. He would have totally loved it!

message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments First and most often, Harlan Coben.
Barry

message 8: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1229 comments I'd never been to a signing or event until I went to the Las Vegas Bouchercon so it was a bit of a sensory overload. It was also the first time I met up with online buddies so definitely a memorable experience.

message 9: by JanG (new)

JanG | 165 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Cheryl's comment in the Monthly Reads folder about Carolyn Hart being the first author to sign a book for her got me to thinking, and darned if I can remember my first. I want to say Dennis Lehane..."

I believe my first was Robert Crais.

message 10: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1390 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Cheryl's comment in the Monthly Reads folder about Carolyn Hart being the first author to sign a book for her got me to thinking, and darned if I can remember my first. I want to say Dennis Lehane..."
Although I go to many readings that are signing events, I rarely get the book signed because that just doesn't interest me. The few times I've done that, it was because I wanted to speak to the author. I don't recall the first time.

Shomeret

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8262 comments Nancy wrote: "But I don't need any more books. Sigh. I have to get books from the library because I really have to downsize, for my kids' sake...."

Nancy, this is an interesting dilemma. I've found myself at book signings (the most recent Lee Child for example) where I've made the decision not to buy the book for reasons similar to yours. I'm also happy to save the money, but if money were not a factor along with all the other considerations, and I felt strongly about supporting the author with a purchase, I would probably buy the book and donate it to my library or give it as a gift.

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8262 comments Melodie wrote: "My first was Mickey Mantle. The second was Jimmy Stewart. Yes, Jimmy Stewart the actor. Must be close to 20 years ago. ...Remember there was quite a line and he had the nicest smile! "

Wow, Melodie, you jumpstarted an even earlier memory than the ones I mentioned, which were at the beginning of my M/T and posting era. Back in the mid-eighties I went to two booksignings at the Harvard Coop, and it was your mention of long lines and personal greetings that reminded me. I went to a signing of Garry Trudeau's because I was a Doonebury fan back then, and I remember he complimented me on the earrings I was wearing. That pleasure of that personal greeting is still with me.

Likewise, around the same time I went to a booksigning for Clive Barker, don't even remember why because I haven't read much of his although I certainly recognize him as a popular and successful horror author. He was very personable and a real cutie.

message 13: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Jan G said: "I believe my first was Robert Crais."

Remember when everyone from the M/T and Diet Board went to Crais signings and said "Nadine says hi"? (I don't think you were with us at this time, Jan, you just reminded me.)

I have a personalized autograph from Robert Crais, not because he ever comes to venues as small as we've got in OK, but because Nadine got it for me!

Jan O'Cat, all nostalgic

message 14: by Alyce (new)

Alyce Joines (afladream) | 11 comments My first signings were from children's book authors as I was an elementary school librarian and I had the books personalized for the school. Peggy Parish (Amelia Bedelia series) was one of the first and she died just a few weeks afterwards. How I wished I had that book signed just for me! I have many more signed children and young adult books than mysteries! LOL

message 15: by Claudia (CJ) (new)

Claudia (CJ) | 133 comments My first author signing was with Jodi Picoult (and this was for a special book I might add): ) I think she is the ONLY author I have gone to for a signing (twice)
Now they have it at a huge place and charge $30.00 to go so I haven't gone lately.

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14974 comments Carol:
I don't think I can remember which was my first book signing event either - but I do remember my first book festival - The Southern Festival of Books in Nashville in October 1998 and I met several posters I knew from the old AOL book boards for dinner and met John Gilstrap, David Ramus (they were on a panel together), J A Jance (had a nice conversation with her in line outside the room before her talk), and Dorothy Allison (Bastard Out of Carolina and Cavedweller A Novel) ....as well as in later years, more Southern Festivals of Books where I saw Robert McCammon and met Betty (MsKitty) and Bill (Come2Reven).

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Cheryl's comment in the Monthly Reads folder about Carolyn Hart being the first author to sign a book for her got me to thinking, and darned if I can remember my first. I want to say Dennis Lehane..."

message 17: by Ann (last edited Jul 11, 2009 07:11PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14974 comments Sandi:
Meeting online book pals at a signing or other book event is definitely a treat! I wish all of us could make it to an event together!

Sandi wrote: "I'd never been to a signing or event until I went to the Las Vegas Bouchercon so it was a bit of a sensory overload. It was also the first time I met up with online buddies so definitely a memorable experience..."

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Claudia said My first author signing was with Jodi Picoult (and this was for a special book I might add): ) I think she is the ONLY author I have gone to for a signing (twice)
Now they have it at a huge place and charge $30.00 to go so I haven't gone lately

I can understand that if the book is included; otherwise it's ridiculous. I went to Barry Eisler's signing at the Four Seasons Hotel in SanFran. There was coffee, etc. before hand and wine and cheese afterwards - All free. My only expense was the cost of a book. That's the way it should be.

message 19: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1390 comments Cheryl wrote: "Claudia said My first author signing was with Jodi Picoult (and this was for a special book I might add): ) I think she is the ONLY author I have gone to for a signing (twice)
Now they have it at..."

Since so many bookstores in my area have closed, they've started to book events with major authors into large venues with tickets and fees. I have never gone to these because I think they should be free, but without the bookstores the venues are probably charging the publishers for these events so they have to charge the public.

Shomeret

message 20: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments Claudia wrote: "My first author signing was with Jodi Picoult (and this was for a special book I might add): ) I think she is the ONLY author I have gone to for a signing (twice)
Now they have it at a huge place..."

do you get a book for that $30? that's an outrageous fee to see/hear jodi speak.

message 21: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Wow, Melodie, you jumpstarted an even earlier memory than the ones I mentioned, which were at the beginning of my M/T and posting era. Back in the mid-eighties I went to two booksignings at the Harvard Coop, and it was your mention of long lines and personal greetings that reminded me. I went to a signing of Garry Trudeau's because I was a Doonebury fan back then, and I remember he complimented me on the earrings I was wearing. That pleasure of that personal greeting is still with me..."

Those kinds of things are nice! I've seen Clive Cussler many times since and for some reason he remembered me every time. He always writes the funniest things in my books when he signs them. Jimmy Carter was such a gracious man. There were loads of people there for his signing for
The Blood of Abraham Insights into the Middle East by Jimmy Carter and he greeted everyone and with a smile to boot. The same with Dolly Parton. My sister went with me for that one. Got the book for my mom for Christmas. I remember being surprised by what a tiny thing she is. And then, of course, I love Crais signings because I've always gotten a hug from him at every one!

message 22: by Melodie (last edited Jul 13, 2009 12:19PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments JanOMalleycat wrote: "Jan G said: "I believe my first was Robert Crais."

Remember when everyone from the M/T and Diet Board went to Crais signings and said "Nadine says hi"? (I don't think you were with us at this tim..."

I remember that!! I remember the first Crais signing I went to when he asked my name and I told him Melodie, he said, "With an I-E, in Colorado! I know you and book board buddies always get a hug!" He got up, came around the table and gave me a big hug! And when I've seen him since I got a hug those times, too!

message 23: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Claudia wrote: My first author signing was with Jodi Picoult (and this was for a special book I might add): ) I think she is the ONLY author I have gone to for a signing (twice)
Now they have it at a huge place and charge $30.00 to go so I haven't gone lately"

That is just so totally ridiculous! Stephenie Meyer came here last summer for a signing for
The Host. It was through the Tattered Cover and was actually held at the high school across the street in order to accomodate all the people. My niece wanted to go, but when we found out it was $35.00 and didn't even include the cost of the book and you had to buy the book, too.....well, I blew that one off! There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to rip people off like that!

message 24: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Ann wrote: "Sandi:
Meeting online book pals at a signing or other book event is definitely a treat! I wish all of us could make it to an even together!

Sandi wrote: "I'd never been to a signing or event un..."

You bet it makes it even more fun, Ann! We keep looking for you to join some of us at one!

message 25: by Claudia (CJ) (new)

Claudia (CJ) | 133 comments responding to my other post, yes you do get the book (sorry for the mix up) but is a new book that much? I know close to it but....I guess there are so many people at her signings here they wanted more room I liked the idea of a bookstore but as of a few months ago even that bookstore is closed after being in business for many decades/

Melodie that is so sweet about the Crais signing! Lucky girl.

message 26: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14974 comments Melodie:
Someday I will, I hope!!
I would love to meet all of you in person. Some favorite authors I have met at signing events include Lee Child, Lisa Scottoline, and Janet Evanovich ... who am I forgetting...

Melodie wrote: "You bet it makes it even more fun, Ann! We keep looking for you to join some of us at one! "

message 27: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Ann wrote: "Melodie:
Someday I will, I hope!!
I would love to meet all of you in person. Some favorite authors I have met at signing events include Lee Child, Lisa Scottoline, and Janet Evanovich..."

I've been to 2 Evanovich signings a few years apart. The first one was in 1996, so must have been for
Two for the Dough. She came to Murder By the Book here in town and I think there was maybe a dozen people or so who showed up, if that many. The store is in an old house in a great little area of town. They had a cookout in the backyard and a cake decorated like the book cover. It was so nice and she was so friendly and personable. The next one was several years later at Tattered Cover and you had to get a number and there were at least 300 people there, probably a lot more. You got shuffled thru the line as fast as possible.

message 28: by Melodie (last edited Jul 11, 2009 08:13PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Harlan Coben is great at a signing! The first time I saw him was at Murder By the Book, too. And I got a hug from him! He was passing it along to me from a friend in Texas. There weren't a lot of people for it either. He was hilarious. Showed us pictures of his kids and told us stories. I just love him anyway!

message 29: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments Claudia wrote: "responding to my other post, yes you do get the book (sorry for the mix up) but is a new book that much? I know close to it but....I guess there are so many people at her signings here they wante..."

a new book at a book store with no discounts is about $25 or so - some are even more..so that's not such a bad deal- you end up paying $5 to hear/see her.. but i still wouldn't pay that..lol
and you're right, her signings have become huge. when they moved one of hers from borders to a local high school auditorium, i stopped going..lol

message 30: by Cindy/Massreader (new)

Cindy/Massreader (cindymassreader) | 29 comments The first book signing that I attended was a
three-fer at Kate's Mystery Books. It was 1995 and the authors were relatively new at that time..... Jeff Abbott, Harlan Coben, and Sparkle Hayter. They had a wonderful time together (if you have met them you can imagine the humor, multiplied times three)and it was lots of fun. I was a newbie to book collecting and had the paperback books (the authors were not yet in hardcover) inscribed to me. Harlan actually told me that the book would be more valuable if I had just his signature. At that time, Harlan was posting on our aol board and he knew some of us by our screen names. The crowd was small. Those were the days!

Cindy

message 31: by Claudia (CJ) (new)

Claudia (CJ) | 133 comments
Sherry wrote:
when they moved one of hers from borders to a local high school auditorium, i stopped going..lol

Claudia wrote:
See what I mean here it was a college auditorium, and I do not like crowds LOL. I really loved meeting Jodi those 2 times I did though. (fairly small crowd)

message 32: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14974 comments Claudia:
I have avoided a few booksignings where I knew the crowd might be huge, though I did go to the Evanovich signing a few years ago - it was at the Davis Kidd bookstore so I thought it wouldn't be too large a crowd and it wasn't bad - a hundred or so people.

Claudia wrote: "Sherry wrote: when they moved one of hers from borders to a local high school auditorium, i stopped going..lol
Claudia wrote:
See what I mean here it was a college auditorium, and I do not like crowds..."

message 33: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14974 comments My favorite booksigning story is when DH as a gift went to a local bookstore's Anne Rice signing event and stood in line for a couple of hours for her signature. He called me and offered to give me his place in line so he could "escape" but we decided by the time I got there he would already practically be at the head of the line. I wish I had gone though so I could have met her! It was VERY thoughtful of him -- he hates crowds!

message 34: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Ann wrote: "My favorite booksigning story is when DH as a gift went to a local bookstore's Anne Rice signing event and stood in line for a couple of hours for her signature. He called me and offered to give me..."

What a sweet story, Ann! My husband would NEVER do that. He won't stand in line for anything and once he saw all the people he'd turn around and go home. I always wanted to go to Ann Rice signing back when she was writing the vampire books.

message 35: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments
Claudia wrote:
See what I mean here it was a college auditorium, and I do not like crowds LOL. I really loved meeting Jodi those 2 times I did though. (fairly small crowd)

i totally agree, claudia. jodi did a signing in new hampshire and before that had lunch with us at a friend's house. another time we all went out for drinks afterwards. i enjoy the smaller signings better. good for us, but maybe not so much for the author? lol

message 36: by JanG (new)

JanG | 165 comments JanOMalleycat wrote: "Jan G said: "I believe my first was Robert Crais."

Remember when everyone from the M/T and Diet Board went to Crais signings and said "Nadine says hi"? (I don't think you were with us at this tim..."

Oh, I do remember all that. I wonder what Nadine is up to these days...

message 37: by Claudia (CJ) (new)

Claudia (CJ) | 133 comments Sherry wrote: "
i totally agree, claudia. jodi did a signing in new hampshire and before that had lunch with us at a friend's house

Sherry, sounds good but I could never do that, to chicken!

message 38: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 19 comments My first and only book signing event was at Barnes and Noble in Orlando with Carl Hiaasen. He talked for a bit, answered questions - most of which were about the return of the Governor character - then started signing.

Unfortunately, the only book he would sign was his newest. B&N was chock full of them, but my wallet was empty. (sniff, sniff)

message 39: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Claudia said: "Sherry, sounds good but I could never do that, to chicken!"

LOL, Claudia, I had exactly the same thought. At the Lehane signing I attended, I could barely bring myself to speak to him.

Jan O'Cat

message 40: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments JanOMalleycat wrote: "Claudia said: "Sherry, sounds good but I could never do that, to chicken!"

LOL, Claudia, I had exactly the same thought. At the Lehane signing I attended, I could barely bring myself to speak to h..."

years ago jodi was in one of my online book groups- she's very friendly and easy to talk to so that's how that whole thing came about.

message 41: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments JanOMalleycat wrote: "Claudia said: "Sherry, sounds good but I could never do that, to chicken!"

LOL, Claudia, I had exactly the same thought. At the Lehane signing I attended, I could barely bring myself to speak to h..."

Our Ms. Cat at a loss for words???? NO WAY!! :0)

message 42: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Melodie said: "Our Ms. Cat at a loss for words???? NO WAY!! :0) "

I'm much better in writing than in person, believe me!

Jan O'Cat, when I'm at a loss for words I just twine your ankles and hope to trip you. Then the words become less important

message 43: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments <>
==================
I think I missed something good here. What could you never do to a chicken?
Barry

message 44: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments My first book signings were done by local authors. The first "name" signing was Dennis Lehane, at Snyder Plaza in Dallas. It was an indie mystery store, which has since closed.
Others that are signed: Koontz, Evanovich, and Cussler.

message 45: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments How about you guys? Who was your first?

Gee, Carol, I'd like to tell you but that was way back in high school...oh, wait a minute, you meant first "book signing." As RR would have said, "Never mind."

message 46: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8262 comments Daniel wrote: "How about you guys? Who was your first?

Gee, Carol, I'd like to tell you but that was way back in high school...oh, wait a minute, you meant first "book signing." ..."

I knew it was only a matter of time before the comic relief would kick in...

message 47: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14974 comments Dan and Carol:
LOL!!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Daniel wrote: "How about you guys? Who was your first?

Gee, Carol, I'd like to tell you but that was way back in high school...oh, wait a minute, you meant first "book signing." ..."

I knew it was only a matter of time before the comic relief would kick in...
..."

message 48: by Ann (new)

Ann (theoann) | 50 comments My first book signing was when I was a kid (10 or 11?) and William Armstrong, the author of Sounder, was appearing in my city, I think at the annual arts festival.

As an adult, it would have been an early signing for Michael Kimball's Firewater Pond, because there was a rumor going around that Stephen King might show up at the signing. He didn't.

message 49: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3668 comments Maybe MHC or James Patterson. It's been so long and been to so many I forgot. Most likely the first one.

message 50: by Cecelia/Ceil (new)

Cecelia/Ceil (ceil0614) | 42 comments Melodie wrote: "JanOMalleycat wrote: "Claudia said: "Sherry, sounds good but I could never do that, to chicken!"

LOL, Claudia, I had exactly the same thought. At the Lehane signing I attended, I could barely br..."

I can attest to JanOMalleycat's actions the night we met Dennis Lehane! She really didn't say much to him because she was too busy twining in and out of his ankles and preening her fur!!! What a great night! Meeting both Jan and Dennis! A favorite memory!

« previous 1