Christian Historical Fiction discussion

British/Regency > The Ransome Trilogy by Kaye Dacus

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 395 comments Mod
Ransome's Honor

So, if you were following the CHF TBR list, you know that I just read this one and absolutely loved it! Anyone else have it on their TBR list? After reading my thoughts might you add it? What are your thoughts if you have read it?

message 2: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments It is on my TBR list, and I'm looking forward to reading it. :-) It's good to know that you like it, Margaret. I'm sure it's a good book! :-D

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments Me...but you already know that! :D

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments Just finished it Sunday. Soooo good. :D

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments Yep, you would like. Especially since you loved the Hawk and the Jewel.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments No prob!

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen L. Maher | 35 comments I'll have to check out Kaye's books--I love her blog site and her lessons on writing craft, but have never read her work.

I'm reading Mary Lu Tyndall's The Blue Enchantress right now as an influencer, and it is amazing! I'm half-way through and the action and conflict never stop.
Can't wait to finish it and put up a real review!

Kathy

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments I've always wanted to try Mary Lu Tyndall books, but never have. You'll like Kaye Dacus. Her characters are fun and it almost reads like a Jane Austen novel. If you read Lori Wick's Kensington Chronicles series, then you will like the Ransome Trilogy.

message 9: by Wen (new)

Wen (thespoilingone) | 26 comments Not sure where to jump into posts in this group since am unfamiliar with many of the books discussed but read all these threads and this set of books sounds like ones I would enjoy.
I am presently reading a Lori Wick book The Proposal and so far am really liking it. I also read The Hawk and the Jewel a couple years back and liked it as well. I also am a Jane Austen fan so think this is right up my alley.
I'll be adding this one to my to read list.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments You will like it if you like The Hawk and the Jewe(that's the first of Lori Wick's Kensington Chronicles series) The proposal is good too. Actually that whole English Garden Series I really liked. You'll have to read the rest after you get done with that one.

message 11: by Margaret (new)

Wen - have you seen the new Jane Austen's coming from Bethany House??
Pride and Prejudice, Insight ed.
Sense and Sensibility

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments I just thought of something Wen. You may even like Debra White Smith's Jane Austen series. She takes each Jane Austen book and tells it in a modern day setting.

message 13: by Wen (new)

Wen (thespoilingone) | 26 comments Jennifer wrote: "I just thought of something Wen. You may even like Debra White Smith's Jane Austen series. She takes each Jane Austen book and tells it in a modern day setting. "

Thanks. I will have to look for these.
I just recently got a couple books by Elizabeth Aston in the reg fiction section. They are continuations of Pride and Prejudice and looked to be 'hopefully' good.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments Ooo...you'll have to let us know if they are!

message 15: by Linore (new)

Linore (linrose) | 10 comments I see a lot of Austen fans here, so I just HAVE to jump in and point you to some wonderful free ebooks on my website. Short, easy to access, and you will SO enjoy them. I have "The Faith of Jane Austen," "Hats, Caps, Bonnets, Bandeaux,"--lots of stuff about Jane or the period she lived and published in--the Regency.
Please go and help yourselves--
http://www.LinoreBurkard.com/resource...
Look under "Reader's Resources."

Also, while you're there, if you love this period and Austen, you would really enjoy my monthly (free) ezine, "Regency Reflections." Take a sec and sign up--my August issue will be going out next week.

Enjoy!

Linore

message 16: by Sandie (new)

Sandie Mixa (goodreadscomsandie) | 9 comments Linore, are you the author of Before the Season Ends? I read it last month and loved it!

message 17: by Wen (new)

Wen (thespoilingone) | 26 comments Jennifer wrote: "Ooo...you'll have to let us know if they are!"

HI I finally got a chance to finish reading the first of the Jane Austen sequels I got. I really liked it. It is called
Mr. Darcy's Daughters
It is written in Austen like style and takes place 20 years after Elizabeth and Mr Darcy were married. They now have a gaggle of kids. The Darcys are abroad and this one is about the 5 daughters. They take after other of the Darcy/Bennett clan from Pride and Prejudice. They seem to have a very difficult time staying out of trouble. It was very cute and entertaining to read. This one is not in the Christian fiction section but is also not a racy fiction either.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments I read stuff that isn't Christian fiction too. Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. Glad to know you enjoyed it.

message 19: by Wen (new)

Wen (thespoilingone) | 26 comments Jennifer wrote: "I read stuff that isn't Christian fiction too. Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. Glad to know you enjoyed it."

Well just figured was better to always warn folks since I do know some people only read Christian fiction works...but this one is pretty tame. I was drawn more and more to the Christian fictions due to the fact that the romances I was reading had gotten more and more trashy and had less and less story to them. SO I enjoy both but stick more to historicals on both fronts and less racy.

I just started a new book last night and am loving it so far. It is Shadow of Colossus I had never heard of this author before I saw this book. So far is good but am only a couple chapters in.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments Yeah, I know what you mean. I definitley watch what I read from the non-christian field. It's hard to find good story lines sometimes. Too much emphasis on the wrong thing can just make it trashy.

The book you are reading now sounds interesting. Never heard of the author either, but I read the synopsis. I'll have to check that one out too. I just finished Love Finds You in Treasure Island, Florida and it was a good quick read. But, then again, I read fast! :D

message 21: by Margaret (new)

Wen - Tracy T.L. Higley was known for some medical science books previously. I do believe her Seven Wonders Series *http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2... is her first historical set.

message 22: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 51 comments I am so late here but I loved this book

message 23: by Margaret (new)

Ausjenny wrote: "I am so late here but I loved this book"

me too! I'm really eager for the next one.

message 24: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 51 comments I love the era and have to confess I love Hornblower and its set in the same era

message 25: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (kayedacus) Hey, all--
I see that this thread hasn't been active in a while and just wanted to give you a heads-up that the second book in The Ransome Trilogy, Ransome's Crossing, is now available!

message 26: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 51 comments I am hoping to order the book in September. I gave my copy of the first book to the Church Library and everyone reading is asking for the second book. (They have to get in line behind me!)

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 6 comments Hi, I just joined. I see some familiar faces. :)

message 28: by Renee (new)

Renee (steelergirl83) | 13 comments Kaye wrote: "Hey, all--
I see that this thread hasn't been active in a while and just wanted to give you a heads-up that the second book in The Ransome Trilogy, Ransome's Crossing, is now available!"

I read it! It was terrific!

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments I am about to read it!!! Bought it at lifeway the other day. :D

message 30: by Renee (new)

Renee (steelergirl83) | 13 comments :-)

message 31: by Margaret (new)

:)

message 32: by Maygan (new)

Maygan (bookgirl209) | 5 comments The third book come out this August. I can't wait

message 33: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (kayedacus) Hi, Maygan!
Yes, RANSOME'S QUEST comes out in August!

In July, I'll be doing some behind-the-scenes posts and giveaways of signed copies on my website (kayedacus.com), and I've heard that the publisher might even be offering the first book in the series, RANSOME'S HONOR, for free on Kindle and Nook for a couple of weeks in July!

It's been almost a year since I finished writing it, so I'm excited to get my hands on it and re-read it, myself. :-)

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments Kaye wrote: "Hi, Maygan!
Yes, RANSOME'S QUEST comes out in August!

In July, I'll be doing some behind-the-scenes posts and giveaways of signed copies on my website (kayedacus.com), and I've heard that the publ..."

YAY!! Been waiting for forever! lol

message 35: by Margaret (new)

Oooh! Fabulous to hear about the Nook deals! Make sure to keep me posted and I'll share it on www.ChristianHistoricalFiction.com!

message 36: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (kayedacus) Starting today and for the remaining Fridays in July, I'll be posting background information and behind-the-scenes glimpses into the third and final installment of The Ransome Trilogy, RANSOME'S QUEST, which releases in August, on my website.

I'll also be drawing two names from the comments on each Friday's post and giving away signed copies of RANSOME'S QUEST as soon as it releases (or as soon as I get my author copies, whichever comes first). Yep, that's TEN signed copies I'll be giving away. So be sure to stop by http://kayedacus.com to find out more about the book and the series and be sure to leave a comment to be entered in the drawing!

message 37: by Margaret (new)

That's up at CHF!

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments Kaye wrote: "Starting today and for the remaining Fridays in July, I'll be posting background information and behind-the-scenes glimpses into the third and final installment of The Ransome Trilogy, RANSOME'S QU..."

Woohoo! Been waiting for this one! lol

message 39: by Maygan (new)

Maygan (bookgirl209) | 5 comments I am Happy i Won a copy of ransome's quest the first of July

message 40: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments I posted a comment on Kaye's blog! :-) It would be really cool to win one of her books! :-)