Horror Aficionados discussion

Swan Song
This topic is about Swan Song
Buddy Reads > Swan Song by Robert McCammon buddy read (Spoiler Warnings.)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 248 (248 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jonathan (last edited Sep 02, 2015 03:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Hello everyone :-) The topic is for Swan Song by Robert McCammon, this buddy read will not start till September 1st 2015 so we all got time to buy the book or join the lovely reading group. This should give everyone enough time to decide if you would like to join, just let me know.

Swan Song by Robert McCammon

So far we have in the group

Mehmet
Jonathan
Lisa
Natasa
Pamellia
Justin
Mallory Heart
Jeff
Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime)
Ctgt
Kaisersoze
*~Lan Lan~*
D.M.
Ange
Stephanie
Terry
Jason
Ken
Nick

Happy reading to everyone.
The only rule is anyone discussing important plot points or events in the book please use spoiler tags. Thank you.

Mehmet | 1217 comments Hey everyone :-) I really excited about this buddy read as this book has been on my to read list for a while now. I found this book on a holiday I took to the famous west county's town of Bath in England. There was a giant 2nd hand book stall in a indoor market in the town centre. There I found a great 1988 copy. The front cover is really creepy. It has a horrible beast with its tongue poking out and a beautiful red headed girl in the corner holding flowers. A great find I thought. Bit creased on the spine but in perfect condition overall :-)

Pamellia (michiganparents) I'm in!!

Mehmet, that is a wonderful story. I've always wanted to go to Bath.

Looking forward to this read. Mine's not all fancy like Mehmet, but kindle will work, I suppose.

Addy | 4989 comments I've read this one! My advice: hang on cause it's pretty great!

Mehmet | 1217 comments Hi Pamellia :-) If you get chance I recommend Bath for sure, you must go to see the actual Roman Baths with are amazingly preserved. Think there are only three such samples left. One in Italy, one in Israel and the one in England of course. Plus they have a Jane Austin Museum, my wife loved that part.

Mehmet | 1217 comments Thanks Addy :-) it does seem to be a popular book on HA, which is where I found out about it. Was so happy to find a copy !

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I'll try to jump in next month. This has been on my to-read shelf for too long now, anf this gives me a great excuse to change that.

Lisa Sandberg (lisasandberg) | 168 comments Looking forward to doing a buddy read with you guys again, it has been too long.

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 186 comments Oh I love Swan Song! I'll definitely be aboard!

message 10: by Jeff (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeff | 28 comments I'm in.

I read this back in high school but that was, depressingly, over 20 years ago. I still remember a few scenes and a couple major plot points, but I'm seriously due for a reread. I've had the audio book on my iPod for awhile, so I guess I'll be listening to this one.

message 11: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 761 comments Sign me up

Kaisersoze | 291 comments I'll give it a bash.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in! I've been meaning to read this one for some time now so I'm excited to read it along with all of you :).

Mehmet | 1217 comments Sure Jonathan will add your names to our growing list but would like to welcome you all to this hopefully exciting buddy read
Ctgt
Kaisersoze
*~Lan Lan~*
Hopefully this will not be our final Swan song !!! See what I did there ....? Sorry know that was sad but could not resist. Anyway big hello to you guys :-)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Thanks Lisa glad to have you join us on another rip roaring adventure :-)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Thank you everyone for joining the topic. This is turning out to be a very epic buddy read.

Mehmet | 1217 comments Well the book size is quite epic so I suppose it calls for a epic buddy read ;-)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Im in :)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Welcome aboard everyone. Our journey together is down yet another apocalyptic road, where we see a version of our planet defeated and devastated once again. Together we will witness the resurrection of mankind, as they place their faith on the prodigal child Swan! =)

I look forward to our reading adventure together!

Char  | 13721 comments Mod
I look forward to watching you guys read it. I loved this book so much I read it twice. :)

Mehmet | 1217 comments All hail to great child swan !!!! All hail ! Very poetic Jonathan :-)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Mehmet wrote: "Sure Jonathan will add your names to our growing list but would like to welcome you all to this hopefully exciting buddy read
Ctgt
Kaisersoze
*~Lan Lan~*
Hopefully this will not be our final Swan ..."

I have no idea what that was referring to but I am really excited to find out haha. I will probably start reading this once I am done Dark Places. I am super stoked to read this book with all of you :D.

Kaisersoze | 291 comments Thanks for the welcome Mehmet and Jonathan. Feels like I can't go a week without seeing Charlene reference McCammon or this book in particular, so I have high expectations! ;-P

message 24: by Ange (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ange (bentleyrise) | 27 comments I added this book back in 2012 about time I got to it! Would love to join.

Mehmet | 1217 comments Welcome Ange :-) I in a similar situation, so good time to try reading the book.
No problem Kaisersoze, I now what you mean, this book has got lots of recommendations on HA.
*~Lan Lan ~* I was using the saying "Swan Song" just meant hope this buddy read is not our last as a group. Just being corny I was :-)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments What a nice turn out everyone! It sounds like almost everybody has a copy of the book as well! Thanks so much for reading with us. I am super thankful!

This is going to be fun!

Latasha (latasha513) | 10683 comments Mod
i'll join as well.

Mehmet | 1217 comments Big welcome to you Latasha :-)
Wow this is growing into a massive group read !!!!

Kaisersoze wrote: "Thanks for the welcome Mehmet and Jonathan. Feels like I can't go a week without seeing Charlene reference McCammon or this book in particular, so I have high expectations! ;-P"

Kaiser :)

Kaisersoze | 291 comments Charlene wrote: "Kaisersoze wrote: "Thanks for the welcome Mehmet and Jonathan. Feels like I can't go a week without seeing Charlene reference McCammon or this book in particular, so I have high expectations! ;-P"
..."

Heheh. Just checking you were paying attention, Char :-)

message 32: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 14, 2015 12:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Ok.

So are we to expect comparisons to Stephen King's The Stand in this topic discussion?

;-)

Also... is anyone familiar with Dark Advent by Brian Hodge?

Dark Advent by Brian Hodge Dark Advent by Brian Hodge

message 33: by Char (last edited Aug 14, 2015 12:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonathan wrote: "Ok.

So are we to expect comparisons to Stephen King's The Stand in this topic discussion?

;-)"

I would expect them, yes. The first time I tried to read this book, I had to put it down because of the similarities. I went on to read other McCammons, (and loved them all, btw), and then I came back to Swan Song. I'm so glad that I did. As the story progressed, I thought that it traveled farther and farther away from The Stand territory. I hope that it works in a similar way for you guys.

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments I also heard comparisons to Dark Advent as well. Have you heard of this old novel?

Regardless I think all three of them are outstanding post apocalyptic novels.

Jonathan wrote: "I also heard comparisons to Dark Advent as well. Have you heard of this old novel?

Regardless I think all three of them are outstanding post apocalyptic novels."

I love me some Brian Hodge, but I haven't read that one yet. Though I just checked and it is on my TBR. :)

uh oh, I haven't read the stand yet!

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments It is ok. The Stand has nothing to do with Swan Song. Other then that they are both great novels. :-)

Mehmet | 1217 comments No comparisons from me as not read The Stand or Dark advent :-) to be honest I only read 3 novels by Stephen King, my main introduction to horror was james Herbert and Richard Laymon. I want to read more King novels as I have enjoyed the ones of his I read.

Mehmet wrote: "No comparisons from me as not read The Stand or Dark advent :-) to be honest I only read 3 novels by Stephen King, my main introduction to horror was james Herbert and Richard Laymon. I want to rea..."

there is a buddy read where we are reading all of his novels.

message 41: by Ange (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ange (bentleyrise) | 27 comments Hadnt heard of Dark Advent, so have added that now. The Stand is my favourite book of all time, Ive read it 3 times which its unusual for me to read any book twice. So really looking forward to this one.

Mehmet | 1217 comments Thanks Latasha :-) just I tend to read one book at a time. Sure I read his books eventually. I read slowly but surely.

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments We should all do a Dark Advent buddy read together in the future. I heard amazing things about it. ;-)

(shan) Littlebookcove (littlebookcove) | 137 comments oh I missed this bummer! not to worry though. I hope it's an excellent read for you all.

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Hi! You are more then welcome to join! We don't start until a few weeks! :-)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I've heard of the similarities to The Stand and I think that's why I ended up staying away from it. But if does distinguish itself in the end I'm super excited! also this is my first novel by this author and I've heard nothing but good things. :D

Matthew (mattical) | 563 comments Hi read this book a few months ago and it was my first by this author as well. I enjoyed a lot and but was hesitant at first because I was afraid I'd keep comparing it to The Stand. I'm lurking to see how others like it :)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments I haven't read the Stand but I did see the television movie based on the book. I doubt I will draw comparisons though, because I didn't love the television movie very much.

It is reassuring how many people adore Swan Song for it's own merits. Both of these novels came out at roughly the same time right?

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

The Stand was original published back in 1978 and Swan Song was published 1987. Kind of weird how one was '78 and the other '87 haha.

Mehmet | 1217 comments That is weird :-0

« previous 1 3 4 5