Start by marking “Dark Advent” as Want to Read:
Dark Advent

Dark Advent

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Like a biblical pestilence, the plague left only a handful of survivors to face a savage new world. In a deserted midwestern department store, a few people banded together, but beyond their temporary haven an insidious evil was stirring! In the tradition of Stephen King's The Stand.
Published September 1st 1988 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about Dark Advent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Advent

Jordan Anderson
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So you know oft quoted and overused phrase "never judge a book by it's cover"? I don't think that statement could ring more true than it does for this book. Yes, I will whole-heatedly, 100% agree that the cover for "Dark Advent" is ridiculous, silly, and quite stupid. Intact, it might possibly be the dumbest cover I've ever seen, or, at least, the most blatantly misleading one. I'll give a very minor spoiler alert here and say that Nowhere within these pages do we get anything even close to a pi ...more
 Martin
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like THE STAND, it brings forth the underside of human nature. The plot is well-crafted and the narrative is strong.
Karl
Apr 25, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This hardcover edition copy is one of 750 copies signed and numbered by Brian Hodge.
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Mar 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, hairy-eyeball
Saw this book mentioned in a discussion on Horror Aficionados, then saw it in the shelves of a used bookstore the very next weekend for a dollar. Happy to say, I didn't waste the dollar. It was an entertaining read, in spite of a lot of deja vu if you've read either The Stand or Swan Song. It's not as good as those two novels, but they're tough acts to follow. The main bad guy, Solomon Peter, is not as fleshed out as some of his henchmen are, and his motives are never particularly clear. Also th ...more
Wendy Bocock
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Todd Charlton
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heavily influenced by Stephen King's The Stand, this virus driven Post-Apocalyptic story is set mainly in St. Louis Missouri. As with every story we have heroes and villains, good guys and bad. Jason is the flawed good guy and Travis is the flawed bad guy. We have a Randall Flagg-esque character named Peter Solomon, is he a man? or is he a God? why is he so bad?
The good guys are menaced by the bad till they leave St. Louis for Heywood Texas, a community that Jason has found. There is much fight
Kathy
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Post-apocalyptic genre readers
Shelves: out-of-state-ill
Yes, I don't read "horror" often, but in the last year I've finally read The Stand and Swan Song, in addition to this one.

I read them because they also use the theme of an apocalyptic event and survival afterwards. Dark Advent, in my opinion, isn't really horror (despite the awful book cover on this paperback edition), but rather "horrific". Evil and the things evil people do is one of the aspects of the book- my least favorite part.

The average, basically good, people are the interesting part. I
Jay Mullan
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First book I ever really read outside of stuff you'd find in a school or the traditional horror novels because my girlfriends father at the time wanted to see if I actually my brain. Kept me hooked and I gobbled it up in just over a day. I try to reread it once a year because it is THAT good. This is the book that got me into reading for fun, which lead to DMing role playing games using story lines that kept my players coming back for more after the end of each session. Thank you Mr. Hodge. I ha ...more
Wendy
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a good read. I have pretty much been glued to it for the last 2 days cause I did not want to put it down. A lot of similarities in this book to 'The Stand' by Stephen King, but I am pretty sure that this book came out a couple months before King's book based on the copyright dates.

This is pretty much the typical, apocalyptic plague wipes out most of humanity leaving groups of good and groups of evil battling each other for survival, book. The characters are very well developed. The sto
Stacie
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable post-apocalyptic horror novel, any fans of the genre would find this an entertaining read. The characters were all very well-developed (though I did think Solomon, who is the Dark Advent version of Randall Flagg, could have been scarier). Travis, one of Solomon's minions, I found much more terrifying. I This doesn't come close in depth to The Stand or Swan Song, but then again, what does?
Marcus
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's hard not to compare this book to "The Stand" given the subject matter but the two are radically different narratives of the popular post-apocalyptic story involving groups of survivors who may loosely fit into good versus evil camps. Entertaining from start to finish and certainly shorter than "The Stand", this book was a great find.
Melissa Rice
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although this dates back to the late '80s, I was struck by some of the similarities in this book to "The Walking Dead" and other post- apocalyptic classics like "The Stand." Didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did.
Lee
Dec 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
A good apocalyptic novel. Has you routing for the strangers that come together trying to survive.
Timothy Youngs
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Almost a five star. Great characterization.
NumberLord
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
A post-apocalyptic tale of a guy who wonders around aimlessly. With no purpose. I don't remember much about the tale since it was remarkably forgettable.
Martin
helen foster-brown
Sep 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Long Voyage Back
  • Aftershock (Sedulity Saga #2)
  • Afterage
  • The World in Winter
  • The Changes: A Trilogy
  • Unexpected World (EMP Survivor #1)
  • Survivors
  • No Exit (The Big Empty, #4)
  • One
  • Dead Tide (Dead Tide #1)
  • Encyclopedia of Xanth (A Crossroads Adventure in the World of Piers Anthony's Xanth)
  • Death's Little Angels
  • Fly Away
  • The Kill Crew
  • The Last Mission of the Living (The Last Bastion #2)
  • Doll Parts
  • Slow Burn
  • Plague (Plague 99, #1)
Brian Hodge, called “a writer of spectacularly unflinching gifts” by Peter Straub, is the award-winning author of ten novels of horror and crime/noir. He’s also written well over 100 short stories, novelettes, and novellas, and four full-length collections. His first collection, The Convulsion Factory, was ranked by critic Stanley Wiater as among the 113 best books of modern horror.

He lives in Col

$8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Women in the Castle
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Hag-Seed (Hogarth Shakespeare)
  • News of the World
  • Black Swan Green
  • London
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)