Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What are you reading August 10?

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Okie (last edited Aug 09, 2015 10:03PM) (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2038 comments Mod
This week I'm reading Rough Justice by Sarah Castille, Him by Sarina Bowen, and The Understatement of the Year by Sarina Bowen.

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1222 comments Can't wait to see what you think of Him :-) ♥

message 3: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2060 comments Mod
About to read the last book in the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments I have been reading Maids, Wives, Widows: Exploring Early Modern Woman's Lives 1540-1714 which is really interesting. Some of their views are almost hilarious.

message 5: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 320 comments Dls wrote: "About to read the last book in the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig"

I have this one out from the library and will get to it sometime soon. I'll be interested to see what you think of it, too.

message 6: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1883 comments Mod
Been in a slump for about a week. But I'm hoping to break it with Brown-Eyed Girl tomorrow.

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1222 comments Manda wrote: "Been in a slump for about a week. But I'm hoping to break it with Brown-Eyed Girl tomorrow."

We were discussing it on another thread. For me to buy this one in Australia, the ebook is $17.00. I just can't justify that unfortunately. I still have a few to catch up on anyways so I'll be holding off for awhile.

Hope you enjoy it :-) ♥

message 8: by Manda (new)

It's not much better here at 12.99, unfortunately. But since I haven't bought anything new in a while I'm planning to treat myself. Amid one of my usual buying sprees, though, I'd be holding off too.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 985 comments I just finished Silence for the Dead by Simone St. James. The glowing reviewers are correct, this one is awesome! Mystery-suspense set in 1919; with excellent secondary characters.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Can anyone help...again. There is a book (which I am sure I wrote in my notebook but can't now find) about a lady who is awful to the hero then loses her memory and he pretends she is his housekeeper. I think it has got the word Rogue in it. Thanks in advance.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments Marnie wrote: "Can anyone help...again. There is a book (which I am sure I wrote in my notebook but can't now find) about a lady who is awful to the hero then loses her memory and he pretends she is his housekeep..."

I JUST READ THIS! ITS Once More, My Darling Rogue BY LORRAINE HEATH. ITS THE 2ND BOOK IN THE SCANDALOUS GENTLEMEN SERIES. SHE REALLY KNOWS HOW TO MAKE YOU HATE A CHARACTER THEN LIKE THEM.

message 12: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 346 comments I'm finishing up Put Up Your Duke by Megan Frampton then I'm diving into A Fashionable Indulgence by K.J. Charles.

@Stacey - I put Him on my TBR list based on your review. I might have to put it closer to the top ;)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel thank you funnily enough I went on Lorraine Heath's website cos I had just read The Outlaw and the Lady and saw it there, Once More... sounds really good.

message 14: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1222 comments Phoenix77 wrote: "I'm finishing up Put Up Your Duke by Megan Frampton then I'm diving into A Fashionable Indulgence by K.J. Charles.

@Stacey - I put Him on my TBR list based on you..."

Wow, that's cool...I think...no pressure...hope you enjoy it :-)

message 15: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 346 comments Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Wow, that's cool...I think...no pressure...hope you enjoy it :-) "

LOL, no pressure. It looked interesting by itself and you just pushed it onto the list :)

message 16: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1222 comments Phoenix77 wrote: "Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Wow, that's cool...I think...no pressure...hope you enjoy it :-) "

LOL, no pressure. It looked interesting by itself and you just pushed it onto the list :)"

I'm glad :-)

message 17: by Okie (last edited Aug 11, 2015 05:14PM) (new)

Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Can't wait to see what you think of Him :-) ♥"

Hey, Sassy :D I LOVED Him!! What a perfect m/m romance. This one is definitely goin up there as one of my top five m/m reads for this year. I loled about Jamie's fb post and the conversation that followed between Jamie's family. I must've read it 4 or 5 times. It was a awesome. I'm quickly becoming a fan of m/m romance!

message 18: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1222 comments Okie wrote: "Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Can't wait to see what you think of Him :-) ♥"

Hey, Sassy :D I LOVED Him!! What a perfect m/m romance. This one is definitely goin up there as one of my top five m/m reads ..."

That was my favourite part of the story. I had tears pouring out of my eyes in happiness. I'm so glad you enjoyed it :-) ♥

message 19: by Okie (new)

Yes! Me too! I also had tears when Wes read the bottom of his mug. I'm glad Jamie's family embraced Wes and took him in as one of their own...cos you know, his family sucks. lol!

message 20: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1222 comments Okie wrote: "Yes! Me too! I also had tears when Wes read the bottom of his mug. I'm glad Jamie's family embraced Wes and took him in as one of their own...cos you know, his family sucks. lol!"

Yes, his family did suck. I loved Jamie's crazy loving family :-)

message 21: by Manda (new)

Well, I read Brown-Eyed Girl in one sitting. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as shattering as either Blue Eyed Devil or Smooth Talking Stranger. Mostly it just felt really comforting to be back in the world of the Travis's. And it had a lovely secondary romance, which was a surprise.

message 22: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1222 comments Manda wrote: "Well, I read Brown-Eyed Girl in one sitting. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as shattering as either Blue Eyed Devil or Smooth Talking Stranger. Mostly it just felt really comforting to..."

There are some very disappointed readers from what I'm hearing Manda. I've seen two comments where they asked for a refund. I'd hate to be an author...putting yourself out there.

message 23: by Manda (new)

I kinda think it would be tough to be in LK'S position right now. People have been waiting years for this story so expectations are high--dare I say unreasonably high?--and there are bound to be some people who dont think it measures up.

When stuff like this happens I always remember what happened with Loretta Chase's The Last Hellion. So many people loved Lord of Scoundrels that when TLH came out people hated it because it wasn't the same book. But it's a great book. Just different.

That's my take anyway. I think this is a good book. It's just impossible to meet the expectations.

Time will tell.

message 24: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1222 comments Manda wrote: "I kinda think it would be tough to be in LK'S position right now. People have been waiting years for this story so expectations are high--dare I say unreasonably high?--and there are bound to be so..."

I agree with all of that. I hate seeing author bashing because personal expectations weren't met. Like I said, hate to be an author...but admire them all for persevering :-)

message 25: by Tawna (new)

Tawna Eldridge | 3 comments Just finished a Scoundrel by Midnight by Anna Campbell. Very good, super sweet romance. A little drawn out in the ending but I loved it

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 13, 2015 06:24AM) (new)

I was trying to think yesterday of my top five fave books and came to the conclusion that it is an impossible task. The worst five books however are much easier they always seem to stick in your mind longer.
5. The Devil's Dominion by Kathryn Le Veque. (A close fifth with The Dark Lord same auhtor.)
4. Hawk O'Toole's Hostage by Sandra Brown. (close forth with Smoke Screen same author.)
3. A Pirate's Love.by Johanna Lindsey.
2. Prisoner of my desire by Johanna Lindsey really hated this book.
1. Wild Orchids by Karen Robards, really REALLY hated this book.
I can think of many more but the above stick in my mind as books I wanted to burn.

message 27: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1222 comments Marnie wrote: "I was trying to think yesterday of my top five fave books and came to the conclusion that it is an impossible task. The worst five books however are much easier they always seem to stick in your mi..."

I'd love to know what made you hate them? I haven't read any of them, but I have read something from each of the authors. Very curious???

message 28: by Charlene (last edited Aug 13, 2015 11:55PM) (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 320 comments I just read the long-awaited Lisa Kleypas book, Brown-Eyed Girl (Travis Family, #4) by Lisa Kleypas .

It had an interesting storyline and likeable characters [except for the ones who were pretending to be something they were not: one bride and her mother, for example].

What did put me off was the several word choices that could send the reader to the dictionary many times. That felt forced to me, judging by the character who was telling the story in 1st person narrative. The authenticity factor was off for me here; otherwise, I did care about the sisters who found each other and their unconditional love.

I also (eventually) liked the major love story and the secondary one was seen coming from a long way off. Their realization of that love was great, stemming from a cooking scene that you have to read to appreciate!

So, mostly good vibes on this one....

message 29: by Ginni (new)

Ginni | 18 comments Finished Eloisa James' Enchanting Pleasures. Thought it was the cutest amongst the series. Thought the hero and heroine were both very believable. Loved it!

message 30: by Manda (new)

Ginni wrote: "Finished Eloisa James' Enchanting Pleasures. Thought it was the cutest amongst the series. Thought the hero and heroine were both very believable. Loved it!"

Haven't thought about that one in ages, Ginni! Glad you enjoyed it!

message 31: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
My two cents worth on the Brown-Eyed Girl discussion: I think it is the weakest book in the series, but I don't think it is a bad book. The lead romance was a disappointment, IMO mostly because it is so low on authentic conflict. But I adored Joe. I thought the secondary romance was terrific, and I liked the relationship between the sisters. I'd also love to see LK write Ryan's story.

I don't know of any authors who always produce five-star books. For every favorite author I can list, I can name at least one book that didn't work for me. For example, Shakespeare wrote Titus Andronicus--at least two-thirds of it, and Toni Morrison wrote Tar Baby. We readers can be unfair to the authors we love, complaining if they write too slow and complaining if a book fails to meet our expectations. Brown-Eyed Girl will not make my favorite books by Kleypas list, but it has enough good stuff to make me happy I read it.

message 32: by Manda (new)

I took a chance on Pucked by Helena Hunting and was for the most part pleased with the result. It's kind of humor is raunchy in places, but once I got past that it was a pretty fun NA hockey book. It reminded me stylistically of Alice Clayton's Wallbanger. An amusing read.

message 33: by Manda (new)

Well said, Janga! Totally agree about Joe. And I'd love to see Ryan's story. Though I'm not holding my breath. LK should have followed my rule about secondary characters having to be hideous, taken or just plain awful if you don't want readers to ask for their story eventually. ;)

message 34: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1222 comments Janga wrote: "My two cents worth on the Brown-Eyed Girl discussion: I think it is the weakest book in the series, but I don't think it is a bad book. The lead romance was a disappointment, IMO mo..."

Totally agree with you. In some respects it's why I don't participate in buddy reads for my favourite authors. I find my enjoyment lessens with author bashing and picking apart of characters. I don't expect perfection in all my reads, but I love the familiarity of favourite authors, their style of writing feels like coming home.

message 35: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2060 comments Mod
I agree with you Janga. But even the weakest in this series is still still pretty good.
I think part of it is that the issues the book deals with just are not as powerful--the dad thing could be but wasn't .
I did like how well they communicated and Joe was great.
But if the external issues are not that strong and the couple actually knows how to communicate then the story can be a bit bland.

I too would love Ryan's story ...

message 36: by Okie (new)

Manda wrote: "I took a chance on Pucked by Helena Hunting and was for the most part pleased with the result. It's kind of humor is raunchy in places, but once I got past that it was a pretty fun ..."

Gonna go take a look at Pucked.

message 37: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1222 comments Manda wrote: "I took a chance on Pucked by Helena Hunting and was for the most part pleased with the result. It's kind of humor is raunchy in places, but once I got past that it was a pretty fun ..."

I've seen some reviews that loved it and some that didn't. If you liked it, I might think about getting it :-) ♥

message 38: by Manda (new)

Let me know what you think if you try it Okie and Stacey!

message 39: by Janga (new)

One friend has an interesting theory that the problem with Brown-Eyed Girl is that Kleypas wrote it in response to fan demand. She did not plan to write Joe's story as part of the series, and perhaps she never invested in these characters to the same degree. Also, I thought I read an excerpt earlier in which Joe's heroine was a totally different character, a woman whose father died in an accident that involved Joe. I may have dreamed this, or I may have it confused with a totally different book. Any correction or affirmation of my impression will be appreciated.

message 40: by Manda (new)

Someone on the AAR boards from Europe said the translations were out several months ago and that there are definite differences in the story that has Joe and Avery meeting in the hospital while she's there with her dying dad, and she's still a designer and not yet a wedding planner. And someone else mentioned an excerpt similar to the one you read.

I think the theory makes some sense. And its clear this one has undergone maybe more changes than usual.

message 41: by Janga (new)

Thanks, Manda. I'm glad to know that I didn't dream that excerpt. :)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Stacey, My number two hated book was because the hero for want of a better word,was so utterly obnoxious I had zero sympathy or empathy with him, okay she did force him to have sex with her but what he did was far, far worse. And it went on and on and only got resolved in the last chapter. What she saw in him was beyond me. Same with my number one hated book, utterly awful hero with no redeeming qualities whatsoever yet still she falls for him. Yuk. I do find however that authors such as Karen Robards and Johanna Lindsey write these types of books early on in their careers, probably when women were still treated as unimportant chattels. and were content to be so.

message 43: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1222 comments Marnie wrote: "Stacey, My number two hated book was because the hero for want of a better word,was so utterly obnoxious I had zero sympathy or empathy with him, okay she did force him to have sex with her but wha..."

Thanks Marnie. I love to read the good and bad reviews for books before I decide.

Here's some extremes that would make the decisions easier...completely made up, I'm in a funny mood.

5 Star reviews that make me shudder -

This book was so lovely. It's nice to find a clean romance where the long lead up to the kiss brings us to a great conclusion.

or

I loved that these guys could fight all the time and hop straight into bed and get hot and heavy because they left all the bad stuff at the door.

For the 1 star reviews, that crack me up and make me want to read them...out of curiosity of course -

This foul and detestable story of a man who thinks he can tell the leading lady what to do in the bedroom with crude and rude words. Why authors feel the need to explain the intimate scenes is beyond me. Shut the door, that's private time.

or

Where was the drama and angst? Why did this couple have to get together and be completely devoted from the beginning. How could the heroine trust a man who could become devoted just because she's a beautiful woman inside and out?

Slight exaggerations, but that's why I love to read the reasons why people love and hate books :-) ♥

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

That's funny Stacey, I know what you mean you could go mad trying to decide whether to trust the bad or the good reviews.
Mainly we have to decide for ourselves but even our fave authors get it wrong sometimes.
I forgot to say as for Hawk O'Toole's hostage I think I didn't like this mostly because the story was told only from the heroine's point of view. I prefer to hear both sides of the argument. Also kidnapping small boys is not my idea of a hero.

message 45: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1222 comments Marnie wrote: "That's funny Stacey, I know what you mean you could go mad trying to decide whether to trust the bad or the good reviews.
Mainly we have to decide for ourselves but even our fave authors get it wr..."

Yeah Hawk doesn't sound like my type type of hero, and I do prefer both points of view :-) ♥