What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Snoggle
This topic is about Snoggle
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Friendly Robot - Early 20th Century Children's Novel [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amanda (amandareadsbooks) | 3 comments When I was little and would visit my grandparents, they had a children's novel I loved about a robot. It was hardback with a yellow, paper dustcover. On the cover was the picture of the robot and the title and author. The title of the book was the robot's name. I am very certain the name started with 'N'. I can't remember when this book was published but it was either early or middle 20th century.

Does anyone remember this book?

Thank you!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Orvis by Helen Mary Hoover, maybe. It doesn't fit all of your description, however.
Here is a link of the additional covers
https://www.librarything.com/work/112...

How many years ago did you read the book?
What time period/location did the story take place?

Were there humans in the story? Any other scifi elements? Was the robot from space, built by a scientist, something else?

message 3: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments The Norby series by Janet Asimov is another one to look at. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norby

Amanda (amandareadsbooks) | 3 comments Thank you! However, Norby and Orvis are both way too recent. They are from the 1980's. The book I am talking about was from the early to mid 20th century. this was a book that existed during my mom's childhood, if not before. My mother was born in 1953.

I distinctly remember the robot being the only illustration on the cover. It was a black-and-white illustration on a yellow cover. Of course, if newer editions have been made, it might have different covers for different editions.

I was under 9 years of age when the book was read to me by my mother. I am 26 now. I can't remember the time period, but the story definitely took place on earth. There were children in the story and, I think, the children's parents as well. I cannot remember the robot's origin, but I remember it being a very sweet story.

I remember this book because it was my first exposure to the idea of robots.

Thank you again!!

message 6: by Amanda (last edited Aug 09, 2015 04:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amanda (amandareadsbooks) | 3 comments Hey! So, apparently, I was misremembering a few things. It was an extraterrestrial from space who befriends three children.

The book was published in 1971.

The name of the book is Snoggle.

Again, thank you, guys! And my apologies for having some of the information mixed up.