Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > I need to upload a new book cover and book description

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments I tried to upload a new (updated) book cover and book synopsis description and from my author dashboard and it denied my changes. How do I update? Thanks.
paula cappa

message 2: by Alma Q (new)

Alma Q (staticatku) | 555 comments if you give us a link to the new cover (amazon, user scans an publisher websites are ok sources), we can upload it for you or create an alternate cover edition if the book already has a cover. authors should be able to update descriptions but we can do that, too. : )

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments Here's the link to the cover on Amazon to Night Sea Journey, A Tale of the Supernatural. The updated cover has award seals on the bottom left:
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Journey-T...

And here's the updated synopsis description:
An Eric Hoffer Book Award Winner, 2015.
"The road to hell is paved with the skulls of priests." Father Raymond Kera is certain this is true. When he meets artist Kip Livingston, a woman haunted by dreams of a dark invader, he learns about Kip’s night sea journeys. Her demon, what she calls the Firehawk, has the power to break out of her dreams into her waking life. Even Kip’s Jungian therapist, Dr. Laz Merlyn, cannot help Kip out of this ghostly world. Raymond soon discovers that Kip’s troubles are a descent into a land beyond consciousness, into what Jung calls descensus ad inferos—a descent into Hades. Can Raymond rescue Kip from her Firehawk? What risks on that road to hell will he have to take? Or will Kip pay the ultimate price? This supernatural thriller is a fast-paced read with angels and demons, psychological twists, romance, and murder.

From the author of the Amazon Kindle best-selling ghost story The Dazzling Darkness, a Readers' Favorite Bronze Medal Winner, 2014.

Thank you!
Paula

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments Scylla wrote: "ACE added - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... =)"

Thank you, Scylla. Much appreciated. I'd like to do this for my other novel. Will send the info directly.
Paula

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments Here's the link on Amazon for The Dazzling Darkness with the book cover with award seal on the top :
http://www.amazon.com/The-Dazzling-Da...

Synopsis is the same so no change on that. Thank you!

Paula Cappa

message 7: by Alma Q (new)

Alma Q (staticatku) | 555 comments Here's your ACE: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Do you have a specific date/dates when the editions with the new covers were released? These could also be added to the records.

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments The new covers were released December 2014 for The Dazzling Darkness. For Night Sea Journey, June 2015. Thank you.

message 9: by Alma Q (new)

Alma Q (staticatku) | 555 comments Thanks! Added the info. =)

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments Scylla, how long will it take for the updates to appear? As of now, they are not showing.

message 11: by Alma Q (new)

Alma Q (staticatku) | 555 comments I did not actually change any information, so if you want the new covers to show up on your page, on searches, etc, you will have to go to the book record's edit page and manually set them as default (this is something librarians cannot do). any searchable data may take from a couple of minutes to a few days to update, but other changes should be immediate.

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments Okay so it's telling me that only librarian can change a book cover. I'm on my author dashboard and it won't let me change the default cover. I prefer to have the award cover with the seals on it for this book as default. How do I do that?

message 13: by Philip (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments #12 - You cannot change the cover image on a book, but you can set the default edition that shows on searches and on your Author Profile (what users see), not sure about the Author Dashboard, since that is only something you as the author can see.

Here is how to set your Default Edition.
Set Default Edition

message 14: by Alma Q (last edited Aug 07, 2015 12:14PM) (new)

Alma Q (staticatku) | 555 comments You can set the default from the alternate cover editions' edit pages which are linked in posts#4 and #7. unfortunately the default will not show up on your dashboard (sorry I forgot to mention this! Not being an author it's easy to forget such a page even exists...) but you will be the only person to see the old cover without specifically looking for it after the default edition is set.

edit: i am slow today.

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments Sorry, but I'm lost. Where to I go to find the alternate cover editions edit pages? NOt on Author Dashboard?

message 16: by Alma Q (last edited Aug 07, 2015 12:27PM) (new)

Alma Q (staticatku) | 555 comments on the bottom right-hand corner on the book record page, you're looking for a tiny grayed out link near where the synopsis section ends.

message 17: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments Should I be on Author Dashboard or not? I don't know where you are instructing me.

message 18: by Philip (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments Click on the book you want to set the default edition for and then you can follow the steps in the link I provided in #13. You can click on the book from your Dashboard or anywhere else.

message 19: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments I see this. I'm on my dashboard (not author dashboard) and I see the edit details. But there's only one book cover and that's the default cover without the seals on it. Sorry but nothing of what your telling me makes any sense. How do I choose the book cover if it's not there?

message 20: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments The updated book covers (with award seals) are not showing on my book page. I don't understand where you want me to do this. I'm probably on the wrong page?

message 21: by Alma Q (last edited Aug 07, 2015 01:09PM) (new)

Alma Q (staticatku) | 555 comments you have to follow the links in posts #4 and #7 to get to the edit pages (using the grayed-out link) where you can set the ACEs as default.

message 22: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments Oh, I see. I didn't know I had to use the link you sent. Not clear to me. Ha! Okay them I've got it. Thank you, especially for your patience with me. Paula

message 23: by Alma Q (new)

Alma Q (staticatku) | 555 comments Ha, the joy of discovery. :) Yep, the edit pages are edition-specific. Glad you found it!

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments Yes. Now when I checked it from the main Goodreads book page for the titles, the updated covers do not appear on either book. So, does this take time to appear?

message 25: by Alma Q (new)

Alma Q (staticatku) | 555 comments I see them on your profile and when searching by title, so yes, it's probably just a caching issue. :)

message 26: by Sima (new)

Sima Mittal (mittalsima) | 6 comments are there any rules on adding a book manually as to who can add it...because the system let me add a book to goodreads manually which i did not find on goodreads and wanted to include it in

message 27: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Sima wrote: "are there any rules on adding a book manually as to who can add it...because the system let me add a book to goodreads manually which i did not find on goodreads and wanted to include it in"

Yes, the Librarian manual here: https://www.goodreads.com/librarian_m...

You can find the link yourself by going to the help page from the drop down menu next to your avatar at the top of each GR page.

message 28: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments This refers to message 25 above the caching issue. When I search Goodreads for my titles, my updated covers with the award seals are not showing. I don't understand. I've followed all the instructions and as of Message 25 all is uploaded and working. So why aren't my updated covers with the award seals on the book page? Can someone advise please? Thanks. Paula.

message 29: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 58 comments Okay, I'll try this again. I've tried to update book covers for both my books per the above instructions, Messages #4 and #7 (ACE link). All went correctly, or so I was told. But when I check the regular book pages for these books, via the main search window, the updated book covers are not the updated covers. Can someone please advise me? Thanks. Paula

message 30: by Alma Q (last edited Aug 09, 2015 06:15PM) (new)

Alma Q (staticatku) | 555 comments hi Paula, I definitely see the new covers on your author page and book listings, so the defaults should be set correctly. Maybe the search is just not working quite the way it's supposed to work (not unheard of, unfortunately). if this is the case, you might want contact someone with more technical power over the site's workings (contact link at the bottom of the page) or report in the Feedback Group.

but it could be just taking a little more time than usual to update. I don't think there is reason to panic just yet ;)

edit - recent thread reporting the same issue: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...