The Sword and Laser discussion

J.-F. Dubeau
This topic is about J.-F. Dubeau
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #225 - Why You Should Welcome the Robots

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (last edited Aug 05, 2015 09:56PM) (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1699 comments Mod
We chat with J-F Dubeau, author of The Life Engineered about why we should keep calm and build more robots. Also the good news of more Game of Thrones coming to TV thrilled the live audience at Nerdtacular 2015 as did our surprise host-swap! And thanks to Matt Avery of The Tadpool for the album art inspiration ;)

Recorded before a live studio of nerds, and thanks to Jeff Cannata of We Have Concerns for joining in!

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2015/8/...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/3111764

message 2: by Linnea (new)

Linnea (robotmaria) | 67 comments Not to promote a rival SFF podcast or anything, but if you want to hear Novik herself pronounce Agnieszka, then listen to this episode from Midnight in Karachi:

http://www.tor.com/2015/06/18/podcast...

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments It's a shame so much time was wasted on the fake reviews when the audience had some really terrific questions. I know you generally can't count on decent audience questions, but those were really solid and I would have liked to hear more. Maybe you guys can have people write in and invite Jeff to participate in the Q&A.

message 4: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Trike wrote: "It's a shame so much time was wasted on the fake reviews when the audience had some really terrific questions. I know you generally can't count on decent audience questions, but those were really s..."

We were trying to find something fun to do with the live audience. And also, we were killing time waiting for Jeff to show up. We had no idea when he was arriving.

message 5: by Genesee (new)

Genesee Rickel (geneseerickel) | 101 comments That was one of my favorite parts of the podcast! I may co-opt the game when one of my librarian friends gets married... seems like a more interesting bridal shower game than most of the ones out there.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Veronica wrote: "We were trying to find something fun to do with the live audience. And also, we were killing time waiting for Jeff to show up. We had no idea when he was arriving."

I get it, I'm just saying there were really excellent questions asked that you guys could have really expounded on before he got there. It's always a crapshoot, but every time I go to something like this and there's a defined amount of time for the event, the "killing time" item should be a back-pocket reserve rather than a feature.

Just an observation, not a criticism.

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven Paul Leiva (goodreadscomuser_stevenpaulleiva) Did you have to have Cannata on? I mean, he all over the internet. It's Jeff here and Jeff there and Jeff bloody everywhere!

Just kidding, of course. Mr.Cannata has no greater fan than I -- Which is why I picked him for and directed him in the audiobook of my novel, which Tom and Jeff mentioned. Of course, they failed to mention its title. It's "Traveling in Space," guys! Jeff, write that down on your palm or something. Or a tattoo, yeah, that would be cool! A tattoo on you right forearm would be just about perfect. But, in all serious promotion, Jeff is absolutely incredible on the audiobook, doing 35 separate voices. I told him I did not want a reading but a performance, and, boy did he deliver. You all can check it out on Audible at: http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fant.... If you buy the eBook from Amazon first, I think you can still get the audiobook at a substantial discount. Find the eBook on amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Space...

Great podcast, guys! Although Jeff is still not a pretty as Veronica.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul (latepaul) I liked the fake book reviews.

I liked the Q&A too - which is to say I liked the actual questions and their answers - some of the "questions" were really statements with a quick question tacked on. I kinda hate that - but that's not the fault of anyone on the panel.

message 9: by Joanna Chaplin (last edited Aug 07, 2015 05:52AM) (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Steven wrote: "Which is why I picked him for and directed him in the audiobook of my novel, which Tom and Jeff mentioned. Of course, they failed to mention its title. It's "Traveling in Space," guys!"

I had previously lemmed Traveling In Space because it seemed like a silly, shallow book from the first couple chapters and I didn't give it time to get used to the sense of humor and arrive at the deeper stuff later. But hearing Jeff Cannata's performance was extremely well done, I gave it another go in audiobook form and really enjoyed it. Jeff Cannata is really, really talented.

This was kind of a fun episode because it wasn't completely an interview or the usual standard episode but it had most of the usual segments.

message 10: by Steven (last edited Aug 07, 2015 12:32PM) (new)

Steven Paul Leiva (goodreadscomuser_stevenpaulleiva) Thanks for that, Joanna!

BTW - Jeff Cannata made a brilliant observation with his answer about the relevance of novels as a long form storytelling art and entertainment form. It is the only one that most often is created by a single individual and not in collaboration, thus the work of one mind. Having spent over twenty years in film collaborating with many people, and now as many years plus writing novels, I believe that this is an essential point. For some artists collaboration is a joy. For others it is a trial. It's purely an individual choice. It's all about how you best express yourself. I have found the monk-like existence of individual creation far more rewarding and thrilling. You do miss the camaraderie that can come from a joint creation (which is why working with Jeff on the audiobook was a great experience), but that's a trade off you just deal with. However, after publication there are, you hope, some communications with readers -- such as Joanna -- that make you a little less lonely, and is a damn lovely thing.

message 11: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 355 comments I also liked the fake movie reviews!

message 12: by David (new)

David | 67 comments Veronica wrote: "We were trying to find something fun to do with the live audience. And also, we were killing time waiting for Jeff to show up. We had no idea when he was arriving. ..."
I thought the fake reviews were hilarious and maybe a little bit too real. *grin* With an unknown arrival time from Jeff, it was a great way to go. That said, I would've preferred if Jeff had joined and Veronica stuck around. The audience had some good questions both before and after Veronica was there.

message 13: by J.-F. (new)

J.-F. Dubeau (jfdubeau) | 41 comments I loved the fake movie reviews. I didn't know Tom and Veronica could be so funny. I mean, I knew they could be funny... never mind. That's a hole I can only dig deeper in.

I also liked seeing Mr. Cannata. He's someone I've only really heard of and maybe seen on Night Attack/NSFW so I didn't know much about him. Which I guess makes me a unicorn on this internet.

The only part that wasn't as entertaining was that weird French Canadian guy. I could have done without that segment. Talked too much and kept cutting off Veronica. Then again, it might be because I don't like the sound of my own voice (full disclosure; I am that guy!)

I want to thank Tom and Veronica for having me up there. It was actually a ton of fun. Made me realize that I don't get to nerd out about fiction and literature enough.

But enough about me, let's talk about me. I don't post very often on these forums, so surely I must have an ulterior motive and it's true, I have one: If you haven't heard, Inkshares is doing another contest and since I'm done preparing all my stuff for The Life Engineered I decided to enter. This one's more Sword but I still think people will enjoy it. It's very character driven and you can find more information about it at the link below.

I'd love to get some support from fellow Sword & Laser people because, even though I don't participate nearly as much as I'd like, I feel you guys are my people. In fact, if I want to nerd out about SciFi and Fantasy literature maybe I should carve out more time to hang out here.

Thanks for taking a look, double-thanks if you help support this and I apologize for the self-promotion (someone recommended I do this here).

https://www.inkshares.com/projects/a-...

Sincerely and with love,
JF Dubeau

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

J-F wrote: "I loved the fake movie reviews. I didn't know Tom and Veronica could be so funny. I mean, I knew they could be funny... never mind. That's a hole I can only dig deeper in.

I also liked seeing Mr. ..."

Quebec represent. : )

message 15: by J.-F. (new)

J.-F. Dubeau (jfdubeau) | 41 comments /secret handshake

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1889 comments J-F wrote: "The only part that wasn't as entertaining was that weird French Canadian guy. I could have done without that segment. Talked too much and kept cutting off Veronica."

Totally agree. What was with that guy?!

(full disclosure; I'm joking. That guy was all right.)

message 17: by J.-F. (new)

J.-F. Dubeau (jfdubeau) | 41 comments Ruth (tilltab) wrote: "J-F wrote: "The only part that wasn't as entertaining was that weird French Canadian guy. I could have done without that segment. Talked too much and kept cutting off Veronica."

Totally agree. Wha..."

Very generous of you to think so.

I'll take 'all right' any day.

message 18: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

J-F wrote: "Ruth (tilltab) wrote: "J-F wrote: "The only part that wasn't as entertaining was that weird French Canadian guy. I could have done without that segment. Talked too much and kept cutting off Veronic..."

Now you're just fishing for compliments!

message 19: by J.-F. (new)

J.-F. Dubeau (jfdubeau) | 41 comments Veronica wrote: "J-F wrote: "Ruth (tilltab) wrote: "J-F wrote: "The only part that wasn't as entertaining was that weird French Canadian guy. I could have done without that segment. Talked too much and kept cutting..."

Is it working?