What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA/MG novel Ireland/Scotland, Girl names Ingrid, Boy with a harelip. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by kelz (new)

kelz (bookzofkelz) | 2 comments I read this in the mid-90s. It's a young adult/older children's novel that takes place in Ireland. Might have been a historical fiction one. Pretty sure the main character's name was Ingrid (might have been affectionately called Ingy). Her younger sister is supposed to marry a boy with a hair lip through an arranged marriage. I can't fully remember the circumstances, but her father is murdered (I think) and the three kids go on the run. They end up almost drowning in a river as they make their way to the coast and a safe house.

Pretty sure the romance sparks between her and the boy with the little sister tagging along. The boy is in between the sisters in age; which causes some drama since they make a point of discussing him marrying Ingrid instead of his betrothed.

Thanks for any help.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments Quest for a Maid Quest for a Maid by Frances Mary Hendry ? I found this book b/c of a similar question asked at LibraryThing.
http://www.librarything.com/topic/121822

If not, do you remember the cover?

message 3: by kelz (new)

kelz (bookzofkelz) | 2 comments You are a rock star! It totally is "Quest for a Maid" by Frances Mary Hendry. :D

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments Congrats!