SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops Group discussion

Random Chats > When does it become not believable?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Goodman (nathanagoodman) | 1 comments How far is too far?
What examples can you give in which an author went too far and the story lost believability? Where should an author draw the line?

message 2: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Aug 05, 2015 10:17AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1098 comments Mod
Clive Cussler, his 6th 'Dirk Pitt' adventure..'Night Probe!'

Starts off with a cool type of stealth sub we've never seen before..stumbles over a forgotten wreck..seems like a great story...but then he brings in this political conflict between USA and GB, which necessitates the "coming-out-of-retirement of a former British operative" whom we can only assume (from Cussler's deliberate clues) is...'James Bond'.

Brzzaaaap! Gong! Get the hook and drag him off the stage. James Bond is a fictional character, Cussler--and you know it--cheater! Don't try to hand us this malarkey. Dirk Pitt doesn't need to meet James Bond.

Not that the earlier Pitt books were sober, serious, matter-of-fact works either; but somehow they never sunk this low.

(ha! get it? 'Sunk' ..this low?)

message 3: by Michel (last edited Aug 05, 2015 11:09AM) (new)

Michel Poulin | 196 comments I unfortunately can't remember the title or author of the book I allude to (I basically threw it away in frustration and anger after reading it), but one 'spy thriller novel' had an intelligence agency's special group with a head of security...that was in a wheelchair and still insisted on going in the field and was even burning to initiate a fight with a bunch of hardcore neo-nazis. When you have such a hot-tempered, foolish head of security, then your agency is in trouble. Also, the bad guys in the book seemingly were obsessed with groping/sexually assaulting every female opponent they shot or captured. Apart from being unprofessional on the part of those enemy 'agents' (they are supposed to think first about the mission), this is for me the mark of an author with a rather immature view of things and who goes for cheap sexual thrills.

message 4: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

ha! ha!

message 5: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 23 comments I read a book where the professional killer has emotional flashbacks to a gruesome electrocution by throwing a battery-operated transistor radio into the target's bath. The death of the target is horrifying: “Crackles and screams, churning mix of water and blood and effluent, like a shark’s attack” and the victim dies with a rictus of agony and a hand clawing the air.

Yeah, right.

message 6: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments How convenient. I have a thread on my own group similar to this. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

But anyway, for my contribution to this thread, there's this author Ben Coes. His third book had a scene set in a seaside hotel in Odessa. The main character gets rumbled by a surveillance team sent by Iran's VEVAK/MOIS who decide to take a shot at him. At one point in the gunfight, the main character flees through a pool view hotel room, gets onto the balcony and then jumps, spins around in mid-air as he's falling into the pool, fires and nails one of the hostiles through the base of the chin with pinpoint accuracy seconds before he hits the water. And he's still able to function after a fall which would have broken his spine or at the very least strained it to breaking point.

message 7: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Samuel wrote: "How convenient. I have a thread on my own group similar to this. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

But anyway, for my contribution to this thre..."

Another one from the same series. In the first book, the main antagonist is trying to finish up some last minute business while using his Mercedes Benz S600 to try put some distance between him and the main protagonist who is trying to shoot him. At one point, the antagonist gets stopped at a road block. He decides to neutralize the threat. In a over the top manner. Pulling down the seats and getting into the boot, he retrieves TWO Heckler and Koch UMP submachine guns and when his driver pops the trunk, dual-wields them. Anyone who is familiar with the UMP in question would know that to do something like that would require inhuman upper body strength and supernatural aiming abilities.

message 8: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Samuel wrote: "How convenient. I have a thread on my own group similar to this..."

It's on our boy Nathan there. The OP. He could have been inspired with the thread idea if he's 'double registered' in your group as well as mine...