The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner, #2) The Scorch Trials discussion

New book editions with images from the movie

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (last edited Aug 04, 2015 10:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I'm sure by now you've all seen the new Scorch Trails books with the movie stills in between the pages of the original story. To be honest, this really bugs me. I imagined the characters a certain way and by showing me images of what they look like in the movie is saying I can't imagine the characters my own way. Does anyone else find it incredibly inappropriate?

Sorry if none of you care about this, but I just think it's messing with our imaginations and original images of the characters and settings in our heads.

message 2: by Kelly Brigid ♡ (last edited Aug 07, 2015 08:31PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kelly Brigid ♡ The way I see it, is if the reader wants to read the movie tied in edition of the novel, then that's their loss. :P

message 3: by mj (new) - rated it 3 stars

mj Personally, I'll read a book with or without the film tie-in. It doesn't really bother me. From book to book I might prefer one cover over the other but I don't mind the idea of it. I can see how some people would though. I totally understand it but it just isn't something that bothers me. I don't really have an issue when it comes to picturing characters and settings myself. I've even seen films and adored them and then read the book and ended up picturing the characters completely different than the actors in the movie. I guess it just depends on the person, really. Some people just have an easier time imagining things than others.

Emma ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "Personally, I'll read a book with or without the film tie-in. It doesn't really bother me. From book to book I might prefer one cover over the other but I don't mind the idea of it. I can see how s..."

Well, to tell you the truth I've done that too: watched a movie/TV show first and then read the book and imagined the characters as I've previously seen them. But the thing for me is I read tmr about 4 ish years ago and I've always had a perfect image of them in my head... as every read does when they first start. I don't want those images/ my imagination to be overtaken if I flip over the page and there's a movie imagine of Tommy in a completely different way than what I imagined. Does that make sense?

It's just about keeping the movie and book separate, because they're two different things to me.

message 5: by mj (new) - rated it 3 stars

mj Emma wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "Personally, I'll read a book with or without the film tie-in. It doesn't really bother me. From book to book I might prefer one cover over the other but I don't mind the id..."

Oh, I understand. I get what you're saying and I can completely understand how it might bother some people. All I'm saying is that it doesn't really bother me because I am someone who can ignore it and sometimes not even notice that it's there.

There are some franchises that I think are better if you look at them as a movie series and a book series but not one in the same. Franchises that I see that way are a good example of books where I don't want to have the tie-in version because it feels like it's two completely separate things being merged. But there are other series' where I really don't mind it. However, I can openly acknowledge that while I see one movie as separate from the book someone else may feel the opposite way about it. I would say that it really depends on each individual person and their thoughts and opinions.

One of the biggest reasons that I don't buy film tie-ins very often is that the pages in the middle seem like an intrusion to me. The pages are laminated and sometimes thicker than the regular pages and they get in the way when I'm trying to read. Other people don't seem to care about this. The pictures themselves don't bother me but I hate that they always seem to be right the middle of the book which is also where most books are in the rising action or the climax. So, for me, it interrupts the flow of the story. I'd like it better if they put the pictures at the end. That way they wouldn't get in the way and if someone didn't want to even see them but couldn't get their hands on another copy it would be easier to ignore them.

Kelly Brigid ♡ ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "...some franchises that I think are better if you look at them as a movie series and a book series but not one in the same. "

*cough* Percy Jackson *cough*. Haha. I also completely agree that throwing the pictures in the middle of the book interrupts the flow of the story.

message 7: by mj (new) - rated it 3 stars

mj ✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "...some franchises that I think are better if you look at them as a movie series and a book series but not one in the same. "

*cough* Percy Jackson *cough*. Haha. I also..."

Yeah. I used to love the Percy Jackson and the movie made me so mad! With some things I can actually enjoy the movie separately but I couldn't have enjoyed that movie whether I'd read the books or not. Same with Eragon. It just makes me mad when a movie is not only a bad representation of the book, it's not even made well. It's like they change everything thinking that they can make something better when they're really just making a mess.

Emma ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "...some franchises that I think are better if you look at them as a movie series and a book series but not one in the same. "

*cough* Percy Jackson *..."

Totally getting off topic and talking about badly made movies, you know which movie i'd really love to see remade? Lord of the Flies. I think a good director/producers could make that book a scary, intense, confronting motion pic adaption. Only, keeping true to the book of course. (i.e. not replacing the kids with a bunch of 16/18 year olds) Yeah just a thought :)

message 9: by mj (new) - rated it 3 stars

mj Emma wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "...some franchises that I think are better if you look at them as a movie series and a book series but not one in the same. "..."

I've never actually read that one, myself. I haven't seen the movie either. I take it the movie wasn't good?

Kelly Brigid ♡ Emma wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "...some franchises that I think are better if you look at them as a movie series and a book series but not one in the same. "..."

The old black and white adaptation of Lord of the Flies was pretty accurate
. It even kept a ton of the dialogue.

message 11: by mj (new) - rated it 3 stars

mj ✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "Emma wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "...some franchises that I think are better if you look at them as a movie series and a book series but not one i..."

Oh, that's cool. It's nice when that happens.

message 12: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma ✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "Emma wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "...some franchises that I think are better if you look at them as a movie series and a book series but not one i..."

Yeah but it's ooooooooooooooooooooooooold. I can't watch it if it's that old, and never again! I did like how they did it though, just couldn't stand the black and white :p

Kelly Brigid ♡ Emma wrote: "✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "Emma wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "...some franchises that I think are better if you look at them as a movie series and a boo..."

Ah, okay. Totally understand.

message 14: by mj (new) - rated it 3 stars

mj ✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "Emma wrote: "✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "Emma wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "...some franchises that I think are better if you look at them as a movie ser..."

Emma wrote: "✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "Emma wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "✞♣♫~Қεllყ~♫♣✞ wrote: "ValiantPevensie4 wrote: "...some franchises that I think are better if you look at them as a movie series and a boo..."

Now, I personally love a lot of old movies. In fact one of my top ten movies is Harvey (1950). However, I know quite a few people who can't stand to watch old films and I've never understood why. Could you tell me what it is about them that you don't like, Emma? Is it it specific or are you just more drawn to newer films? I tend to be drawn more to newer books, although I will read old ones and some of my favorites are very old (Tolkien and Lewis are two of my favorite authors), and I'm not sure exactly why it is. So, I guess I'm just curious if it's something like that or if there's just something about them that you don't like. Is it only the fact that they're black and white?