Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) Clockwork Angel discussion

Does this series get any better?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mikaela I finished the book and don't know if I want to read the rest of them. They seem very slow and boring. Any thoughts if I should keep reading?

Parmida Asadi oh my god this series is my favorite series EVER. so basically i dont know why you thought it was boring these three books are so perfect i think no book can ever compare to them

Mikaela I guess I was just comparing them to much on other books I have read.

So should I read the rest?

Veronica if you think the series is a lost cause then don't.

Naomi Speakman It seemed to slug along because so much happened in CoB, and yet there were only - what, 498 pages or something like that?
This series just gets better and better with every book. Seriously, keep reading. The twist at the end of CoB with Clary and Jace actually being related really threw me, and that compelled me to read on. And I am so happy I did read on, because I have fallen in love with not just Jace (though he is definitely my favourite, and another character in City of Glass, who I will not mention, he is my favourite) but all of the characters. Cassie is an exceptional writer, and I have read all five published books so far, including The Infernal Devices. I mean, don't even get me started of that series (prequel to TMI, set in Victorian London) because it made me cry waterfalls! That is by far my favourite series. Team Will, and team Jace!
Keep reading, they will get better, you will be on the edge of your seat, you will scream with rage, cry with loss, and definitely laugh so hard that you cry anyway! Don't give up on this series, because you will regret it :)

Candy Sparks If you didn't like the first book don't read the rest. They follow all the same patterns except the last book which is action packed.

Orelia Of the Infernal Devices (Clockwork series) Clockwork Angel was the best. All of book 2 and the first part of book 3 all the Big Bad Guy does is write a couple of letters. It's nothing but romantic angst. So if that's your thing, go for it. If not, I'd move on to something else. If you like Steampunk, have you tried Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld?

Brynne Honestly I think that you should keep going because (don't hate me) I also sort of didn't like Clockwork Angel but then I read the rest and I found a new respect for the series and Clockwork Angel! It is definitely an amazing series and I think you should continue reading!

Paige Yin it gets better, this is a series of books that stay with you. don't give up, keep reading.

An-chan Well, I personally read the first book and wasn't sure if I wanted to keep reading. Because of the overwhelmingly good feedback the second book had gotten, I decided to pick it up... And it was much, much worse than the first one. I ended up not caring about the characters at all, and I never read the last book in the series.

I think there are at least two considerations here. First off, why did you pick this series up? If you read the other Cassandra Clare books and loved them, then you may like this series. If you picked it up for the love triangle drama, then you definitely will like it. If you picked it up because it professed to be steampunk, run for the hills. I started reading this because I thought it would be a fun steampunk adventure, but it has almost zero steampunk, and it's mainly just loosely Victorian (I wouldn't recognize the era, had I not been told which era it is) urban fantasy.

Second consideration: how much adventure do you want out of your books? Because in this series, all adventure and action is severely trampled on by the romance. I like romance subplots a LOT - they can make a good book amazing for me, or keep me reading even when the plot isn't the best - but this series has basically almost nothing BUT romance. The adventure becomes the subplot here. Important plot exposition is continuously overshadowed by confused romantic feelings, or misplaced lies spoken in the interest of protecting someone against their will. Moreover, the main character has almost zero personality, and she keeps flip-flopping between the two main love interests all throughout, clearly in an effort to please fans. Frankly, I found it ridiculous.

It's entirely possible to love this series, but you have to have a particular set of expectations when going into it. Basically, if you expect steampunk or adventure, you will be disappointed. If you expect romance and a lot of drama, you will probably love this. But that all depends on you and your own preferences.

message 11: by Veronica (last edited Feb 23, 2014 01:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica An-chan wrote: "Well, I personally read the first book and wasn't sure if I wanted to keep reading. Because of the overwhelmingly good feedback the second book had gotten, I decided to pick it up... And it was muc..."

well said. even though i have not read book 2 i had already decided that this series has an awful love triangle in it. to me, characters need personality. Will is just some *broken* guy who is very secretive.it is like the author has no idea about other types of character traits. anyone who repeats characterization or plot is less creative. i realized this after reading 4 books in TMI and 5th book left unfinished on chapter 8.

message 12: by sim (new) - rated it 4 stars

sim No, the series doesn't get better. In fact, Clockwork Angel was my favourite book in TID. It especially sucks if you're a Wessa...and if you didn't like this one, you most probably won't like the others!

Naomi Speakman Oops! I thought we were discussing TMI, not TID. My bad.

TID is a lot better than TMI, in my opinion. The characters DO have personalities, especially Will of all people. He's just very solitary and secretive, and so he should be (I'm not going to spoil it for you, but there is a reason why Will feels the need to push everyone away, and it's completely understandable. You will find out what it is in CP if you read it.)
CA was the best in the series, I'll admit. It didn't seem to slug along as much as it did in the others, but for me it took a while to submerge myself into Victorian London with the characters. But at the same time, it didn't FEEL as though it was set in that era. I fell in love with every individual character in that book, even Jessamine.
Because I loved CA I simply had to read on. CP dissapointed me at first. Why? Because nothing was happening until midway through the book. And once things begun to form and shape, I was like "WOW!" Sometimes the love triangle did seem to get in the way, but if I was in Tessa situation, I've no idea who I'd choose either. Ok, Will. I'd choose Will. But it was impossible - for Will at the time - to be with Tessa, right? So obviously she was going to develop feelings for someone else when all Will seemed to be doing was pushing her away.
CP2. Oh. My. Word! I LOVED this book. So MUCH happened that it was hard to keep up, because the POV continued to shift constantly. But that was what made it so fascinating, becuase each character had to deal with their own problems. The epilogue though, DESTROYED me! That is all!

If you enjoyed CA, read on. There were times throughout each book that frustrated me so much that I wanted to lob the book through my window, but I didn't. I continued reading until the end, and I'll tell you now, it was probably the best decision I'd ever made in my life. These books will remain in my heart forever.
Don't give up on this series. Everyone is going to have different opinions on it, so don't listen to them and find out for yourself.
Keep reading

Princess Godoy You should finished the series because in my opinion, every book Cassanda Clare is releasing it always gets better and Clockwork Princess (the last book) is the best book among the series so you should get to that.

message 15: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex It's amazing, all her series are.

Jayne Mikaela wrote: "I finished the book and don't know if I want to read the rest of them. They seem very slow and boring. Any thoughts if I should keep reading?"

You should definitely keep reading! I started the first one before I read the mortal instruments and I Was sorta bored too. I stopped and read all of TMI and then realized I missed the SHadowhunter world and went back to TID. ONce I went back to CLockwork ANgel, I still sorta thought it was slow, and even once I finished I was unsure. But once I started with the second book the plot really began to pick up. No, I don't believe its as much of a page turner, non-stop-drama as TMI, but in this series you get so close and attached to the characters. So overall, yes, absolutely keep reading. The second book made me fall in love with these people and I never wanted to leave them.

Triscia C.G. TID is waaaay better than TMI. Well, for one thing, the love triangle isn't at all cliche (unlike TMI's main love team) and it's in this book series that you finally notice how Cassandra Clare's writing style developed.

Naomi Speakman Carmela C.G. wrote: "TID is waaaay better than TMI. Well, for one thing, the love triangle isn't at all cliche (unlike TMI's main love team) and it's in this book series that you finally notice how Cassandra Clare's wr..."

I loved TID so much more than TMI as well. Definitely keep reading

Christine TID is amazing! You should definitely keep reading.