2014 Hub Reading Challenge discussion

Dodger
This topic is about Dodger

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (last edited Feb 12, 2014 08:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah I'm on the last third or so of this audiobook. I have read the book before, which I usually try to do in the case of audiobooks--otherwise I miss too much of the story. Stephen Briggs narrates this Pratchett novel, and does a fantastic job of creating separate voices, accents, and inflections for each character. My only complaint lies with his "Simplicity" voice, but I rarely have felt that a male narrator did justice to a female voice (and vice versa. But oh well, suspension of disbelief, etc.)

Briggs really seems to nail the trademark Pratchett humor in his narration, and I'm quite enjoying this audiobook. I would definitely listen to other narrations by him, which is really the highest praise I can think of for an audiobook.

Debbie | 14 comments I also listened to Dodger this week. I've been meaning to pick up something by Pratchett for years, but never seem to get to him. This standalone novel was a good intro and I will certainly read more of his books.

I loved the mix of fantasy and historical fiction, especially all of the references to books by Charles Dickens.

Jenni Frencham (jennifrencham) Debbie, you might want to try The Wee Free Men - that's the first book in a short Pratchett series that is pretty enjoyable.

Emily | 4 comments Such a great story, such a great audio rendition of it.

Cindy | 7 comments This is my first Terry Pratchett book and I loved it. Dodger takes Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist and adds a lot of action, humanity and especially humor to the story. I especially appreciate how Pratchett transforms the caricatured and stereotyped characters of Oliver Twist into more balanced personalities that left me with a much more positive outlook on life. The narrator also did a great job which added to the enjoyment of the book.

Jmrunninglib | 25 comments I also thought that the narrator did a great job with the reading. I enjoyed the book with its wit and humor, but honestly found it easy to put down and forget about.